500000 jobs gone ... Media useless

DrZoos

image.jpg.5fd92ae9c0968cbfe698b1743e256bda.jpg So i saw the Australian published this mistake, and thought, dumb buts...

Then news corp publishes the same mistake....

Our media are so useless and they repeat each others mistakes.

How much does a senior editor get paid? I think its about $320k per year... For what

image.jpg.5ce0a2d66dc85d3cc94fac6d91f59b4c.jpg

• Agree 1
  • Winner 1

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes the media is worse than useless however I'm thankful the govt doesn't want to throw my money at bailing out a company, happened too much in the past. Anyway probably not necessary as some of Qantas clever employees seem to have stumbled upon a novel solution to its economic issues - threaten strike action.

I think firing that useless little Irish git and his complete board would be a good start. After that, get in some management who don't cook the books, keep 10 A320's in Toulouse for months at USD$400,000 per month waiting for them to get the Japan Jetstar route going, and throw little hissy fits grounding the entire fleet when faced with industrial action.

An Australian company - and icon, our national carrier, that carries a goddamn kangaroo on the tail - talking about firing 5,000 staff and seeking to remove restrictions that prevent the majority of the company to be sold off to overseas buyers... no wonder its employees want to strike. And we should support them. If Air New Zealand can post a 200 million dollar PROFIT in the last half year then perhaps Qantas management should be learning from them instead of making one bad decision after another.

• Agree 5

Yes the media is worse than useless however I'm thankful the govt doesn't want to throw my money at bailing out a company, happened too much in the past. Anyway probably not necessary as some of Qantas clever employees seem to have stumbled upon a novel solution to its economic issues - threaten strike action.

"I won't work for you if you fire me!"... sounds an effective bargaining position 015_yelrotflmao.gif.6321765c1c50ed62b69cf7a7fe730c49.gif... but Tony Abs said he understands the strategic importance of Quantas... if it's bloody strategic, why is he doing nothing? Surely he could steal... er, "nationalise" it, and replace the board with the P.U.P. or someone...

• Like 2

I think firing that useless little Irish git and his complete board would be a good start. After that, get in some management who don't cook the books, keep 10 A320's in Toulouse for months at USD$400,000 per month waiting for them to get the Japan Jetstar route going, and throw little hissy fits grounding the entire fleet when faced with industrial action.An Australian company - and icon, our national carrier, that carries a goddamn kangaroo on the tail - talking about firing 5,000 staff and seeking to remove restrictions that prevent the majority of the company to be sold off to overseas buyers... no wonder its employees want to strike. And we should support them. If Air New Zealand can post a 200 million dollar PROFIT in the last half year then perhaps Qantas management should be learning from them instead of making one bad decision after another.

But those kiwis are cunning, unlike professional management... poking.gif.62337b1540bd66201712a53e2664c9b4.gif

• Like 1

I think firing that useless little Irish git and his complete board....

Racist much? Next you'll point out he is a f_g also for good measure?

It's a public company - you are free to buy it, sack the board and run it how you like. Or start another competing airline.

Guest Andys@coffs

I flew Q until they caught me out in Adelaide with the strike. To me it was a case of which side could shoot themselves faster in the foot.... I moved to V and haven't looked back.

As the Customer I want them to solve their differences but in a way that doesn't result in me being stuffed around.

The comment that is always dragged forward is "Iconic" and of "strategic importance" If it was that strategic why privatise it, and having done so why is it important that when we need strategic stuff we have to use Qantas? any company that has and flys RPT jets could fill the need couldn't they? If its more than that why privatise and exactly what controls do the gov have now that they are privatised?

If the whole reason for the 51% Australian ownership was to somehow hold some form of control and therefore be able to put "strategic importance" against Qantas then it would seem that the G wants to achieve something important, but at someone else's cost. Remove the 51% rule make them the same as everyone else and if they then don't compete allow the shareholders to sack the management and stop the current lot being able to bleat "unfair" whenever they loose money...again

Andy

Actually I don't like him much either Bob but that's not based on who he is. Stooping to racist tags - and it was clearly intentional - is telling.

I'm sorry Gnu, I'm confused. Calling someone from Ireland "Irish" is racist? If someone called me an Aussie git, would I be offended? Not at the "Aussie" bit, perhaps at the "git", but then if I'd just run a major company into the ground maybe I'd deserve it.

As for his sexual orientation, you brought that up. I have no interest in who he roots, as long as it's not Qantas.

• Like 5

I'm sorry Gnu, I'm confused. Calling someone from Ireland "Irish" is racist? I have no interest in who he roots, as long as it's not Qantas.

Oops to late, he got to it already !

,,,,,,,,maybe he doesn't want to be Irish , maybe telling his parents was one of the hardest things he had to do , maybe given the choice he'd be ,,,,Spanish,,even French,,,I mean why would he choose to be Irish ,,,,,,,

Sorry I'll be off now

Matty

• Haha 2

Apparently, what is going on in Q is that "the little irish git" and his team are transferring all the costs from Jetstar onto Q to make it "look" unprofitable, to drive the share price down for a management buyout and to justify wage and staff cuts. It's a similar move that Geoff Dixon tried before he got the heave-ho and apparently GD and "the little irish git" are thick as thieves.

The costs transfers are apparently the reason behind one of the opposition pollies calling for a "forensic audit" of Q's books.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2
  • Winner 1

Yes, that's what Nick Xenophon said on RN yesterday morning. Apparently he's had calls from Jetstar international captains saying "we're just about to take off, loaded up with fuel that's been charged to Qantas" and also calls about aircraft being transferred from Jetstar to Qantas, repainted and THEN given the massive multi-million dollar service they were due for. So now Qantas International looks broke and somehow Jetstar is doing well.

• Winner 1

It seems to me that Qantas is neither fish nor fowl in its structure and it either needs to be a full market enterprise without ownership and management restrictions, or back to a public utility and government owned.

Government ownership does not have a great track record once any competition is involved leaving fill and free market ownership and management as the solution.

I think firing that useless little Irish git and his complete board would be a good start. After that, get in some management who don't cook the books, keep 10 A320's in Toulouse for months at USD$400,000 per month waiting for them to get the Japan Jetstar route going, and throw little hissy fits grounding the entire fleet when faced with industrial action.An Australian company - and icon, our national carrier, that carries a goddamn kangaroo on the tail - talking about firing 5,000 staff and seeking to remove restrictions that prevent the majority of the company to be sold off to overseas buyers... no wonder its employees want to strike. And we should support them. If Air New Zealand can post a 200 million dollar PROFIT in the last half year then perhaps Qantas management should be learning from them instead of making one bad decision after another.[/quote

Have you seen the wages at ANZ? And the productivity? I wonder what the difference is? The lack of 54 EBA,s perhaps? Being able to run a a business without being hamstrung by adversial unions that have a legal system that underpins them?

AJ should be the first go from Q if you ask me.. it has been downhill in Q from the first day he walked in the Q doors. I wonder if the government lets foreign ownership happen whether he would be still there? I think like our cricket team get an Aussie in their to pull it back into shape, surely we have a good Aussie manager floating around that can do the job, but more than just a good manager, he has to be willing to put Q first instead of worrying about his own back pocket.....get rid of this foreigner fast before it is really to late and we loose Q for good....

David

...Being able to run a a business without being hamstrung by adversial unions that have a legal system that underpins them?

Here we go again, union membership is at an all-time low in this country but somehow they're still responsible for all the woes. I really don't understand this insistence that everything should be left to market forces and this will somehow result in flourishing industry. You want to follow the Gina Rinehart model, strip away all limitations on wage and conditions, and make your companies profitable by paying $2 an hour? Yes, your company will be competitive on the world stage. Yes, it may even make massive profits and provide employment. But who benefits? The people working for the company? No, they're still screwed. The only people who benefit are the investors and the management team. Then you have the gap between rich and poor widening.

This may be your idea of paradise, fair enough, go start a company in Bangladesh and enjoy your profits.

• Agree 3

Here we go again, union membership is at an all-time low in this country but somehow they're still responsible for all the woes. I really don't understand this insistence that everything should be left to market forces and this will somehow result in flourishing industry. You want to follow the Gina Rinehart model, strip away all limitations on wage and conditions, and make your companies profitable by paying $2 an hour? Yes, your company will be competitive on the world stage. Yes, it may even make massive profits and provide employment. But who benefits? The people working for the company? No, they're still screwed. The only people who benefit are the investors and the management team. Then you have the gap between rich and poor widening.This may be your idea of paradise, fair enough, go start a company in Bangladesh and enjoy your profits.

The US is a shining case in point. For the past 30-odd years they've been operating on the ideology that if they could only make the corporations and the uber wealthy rich enough with tax cuts and wage suppression, the jobs will magically come back.

*crickets*

After thirty some years, we're still waiting.......And the jobs are STILL being shipped overseas.

• Agree 2
  • Winner 1

Here we go again, union membership is at an all-time low in this country but somehow they're still responsible for all the woes. I really don't understand this insistence that everything should be left to market forces and this will somehow result in flourishing industry. You want to follow the Gina Rinehart model, strip away all limitations on wage and conditions, and make your companies profitable by paying $2 an hour? Yes, your company will be competitive on the world stage. Yes, it may even make massive profits and provide employment. But who benefits? The people working for the company? No, they're still screwed. The only people who benefit are the investors and the management team. Then you have the gap between rich and poor widening.This may be your idea of paradise, fair enough, go start a company in Bangladesh and enjoy your profits.

Union memebership is at an all time low - but not at Qantas,Toyota,GMH, SPCA. Dear me, is that a common thread?

• Agree 1
  • Caution 1

Union memebership is at an all time low - but not at Qantas,Toyota,GMH, SPCA. Dear me, is that a common thread?

I don't know. Is it? Do you have the figures that show that those companies have higher levels of union membership than average? Have you looked at all businesses that fail in this country, and checked the level of union membership?

Maybe the common thread is that the boards of those companies was ineffective. Maybe it was the high Australian dollar recently. Maybe in some cases it was the parent company setting up shop in the next cheapest emerging economy to boost profits. Maybe it was a range of things, some under the control of the company's management, some not, but solely putting the blame on unions is simplistic in the extreme.

• Agree 5

I don't know. Is it? Do you have the figures that show that those companies have higher levels of union membership than average? Have you looked at all businesses that fail in this country, and checked the level of union membership?Maybe the common thread is that the boards of those companies was ineffective. Maybe it was the high Australian dollar recently. Maybe in some cases it was the parent company setting up shop in the next cheapest emerging economy to boost profits. Maybe it was a range of things, some under the control of the company's management, some not, but solely putting the blame on unions is simplistic in the extreme.

Almost universal coverage at alll the mentioned enterprises, that's why I said "a common thread". It's obviously not just IR, and I certainly don't blame people seeking to address the natural imbalance of power in an employee/employer relationship, but rather the almost lemming like behaviour by industrial organisations of constantly seeking more for less until the host organism dies (hows that for some mixed metaphors!)

• Agree 2

Almost universal coverage at alll the mentioned enterprises, that's why I said "a common thread". It's obviously not just IR, and I certainly don't blame people seeking to address the natural imbalance of power in an employee/employer relationship, but rather the almost lemming like behaviour by industrial organisations of constantly seeking more for less until the host organism dies (hows that for some mixed metaphors!)

Agreed that at one time the unions were the enemy of good business...but that was back in the 70's. For the past thirty odd years (since Reagan and Thatcher) there has been an all out war on unionism from "both" sides of politics. The unions have been a convenient bogeyman in the race to the political Right. So far the LNP are winning the race to the extreme Right, but Labor are doing their best to catch them.

• Agree 2