Camit engines - anyone got one?

Jaba-who

Dear All, I am aware of the various rumors and here-say circulating concerning Camit over the past few days. I was in the process of ordering a new engine and I have received no correspondence from Camit, (in response to technical questions), for several days now.

Does anybody have a definitive or factual answer from a reliable or formal source as to Camit's current position? has Camit issued a formal statement anywhere? and does anybody know whether Camit will be continuing production, potentially at a reduced or scaled down level?

• Replies 673
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear All, I am aware of the various rumors and here-say circulating concerning Camit over the past few days. I was in the process of ordering a new engine and I have received no correspondence from Camit, (in response to technical questions), for several days now.Does anybody have a definitive or factual answer from a reliable or formal source as to Camit's current position? has Camit issued a formal statement anywhere? and does anybody know whether Camit will be continuing production, potentially at a reduced or scaled down level?

Ring Ian

• Agree 1

Evidence says your in the minority JW

Best argument Jab owners had was they are cheap to fix, not that they don't have issues

Many more problems with hydraulic lifters versions, now admitted by Jabiru, now all fixed they say.

Yet they wont be able to sell fixed engine (or parts) but an all new model

What about thousands with one of older versions that isn't fixed, maybe now can't get parts.

If you think Jabiru's changes list is longer than CAE, then you don't have CAE list.

• Agree 1

Jw - not trying to pick any fight here!

The 'rules' for testing, do not require running flat bikkies for three days. More power to Jabiru if they have done that - as a test for their own satisfaction. BUT: the test regime has been developed as a test for use in real life conditions - and NO engine runs for three days 'flat bikkies'. A typical flight pattern is: start-up - warm up - taxi out - full power/max revs. for Vy climb for maybe 5 minutes - cruise power for a period - descent power for 5 minutes or so - taxi -in - shut off.

It's not just running at max. revs. It's also about thermal loading conditions, load, period of transition through difficult harmonics etc. Just spinning an engine at max. revs does not replicate all of those. I have spent quite a bit of time over four years in development of an engine Test Cell to meet the test requirements and it is exponentially more complicated than just a frame to bolt an engine to and have it run.

This is no 'dig' at Jabiru - but it's not properly representative of the test requirement to simply state that: 'we've run the engine flat bikkies for three days.'

• Agree 1

Ave8rr, thanks for the link unfortunately not what I wanted to hear however at least it is now formally confirmed. What a crying shame when I had little doubt Ian Bent and his team had cured all the problems with the 3300 engine - my heart goes out to Ian. Jabiru's future, in my opinion, now looks bleak - new engine, new suppliers, new methods, new materials and no doubt new rounds technical teething problems on the horizon. Can they survive this?

• Agree 2

I have always been a dedicated supporter of Jabiru - but all I have to say about that story, is that Sue Woods must hope that Karma is no more than an urban myth. There is SO MUCH backstory that may one day come out - but Sue's comments are a complete abrogation of the truth of the circumstances that has lead to this situation..

Of all the comments that might be applied - I believe that 'cutting off one's nose to spite one's face' is the most apposite. I leave it to others to consider to whom my comment applies.

• Agree 8
  • Informative 1

So I wonder where that leaves the Bathawk?Pity it looks like such a fun little plane but I certainly would not buy one with a Jabiru engine.

Not sure about the Bathawk, what about all the aircraft with the Jab 3300 installed? Camit supplied parts for that model. Heads and cranks etc.

Dear All, Just for the record:-

I sent Camit an order / letter of intent approximately two weeks ago and agreed a payment method, however "THEY DID NOT TAKE ANY PAYMENT", I have lost no funds. This needed to be stated so they can maintain their integrity.

JohnC

• Like 6

Who is going to make spares for the Jab engines now in service if Camit is closed? I am sure that Jabiru do not hold a large stock of heads and cylinders for the current engines into the forthcoming years.

Asia

or there will be the new cast ones........unproven and just a little cheaper than a new Jabiru engine. Customer cop it again.

Somehow the whole engine drama has played into Jabirus advantage, limitations on anything modified, no parts for old models, most likely pick up some good CAE staff.

Cant believe Sue comments, a key cause of the difficulties of CAE is their move to OS suppliers and a concerted effort to see CAE close down.

Now theres a monopoly expect to see costs rise and service drop.

CASA didnt raise a mention??

• Agree 2

Just hope someone else gets Ian on board to make these parts elsewhere.

Dear All, Don't write "Ian Bent off", he needs time to reflect, asses, plan and decide what he wants to do to go forward - this will take time. He has a good product that has addressed all of the 2200/3300 engine problems encountered by many, appears to be held in high regard, knows what he is doing and has years of unrivaled experience, he may start a small scale manufacturing/repair/refurb/ plant, and if he does it certainly appears he will have the support and custom from many unhappy Jabiru owners.

I have no idea of what has been going on behind the scene's at Camit & Jabiru, however I certainly detect ill feeling towards Jabiru from their customers, and very much doubt many people will have the confidence (or stomach) to risk buying a basically new untested engine from them. I am in no hurry at present so I will wait and see what pans out, if worst comes to worst unfortunately it will be a Rotax engine aircraft for me.

• Agree 2

Just hope someone else gets Ian on board to make these parts elsewhere.

Wait a while, until all the Jab owners realise the ramifications of the closure, and then set up a Crowdfunding thingo to get the guy going again. I would contribute, and I don't own one.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

You would need a lot of bucks from crowd funding from what I hear. Unless you can find a benelovent multimillionaire .

Ian would have to work for someone else in a engineering capacity as you can not run a business as a bankrupt for I think its 5 or 7 years also the IP is now controlled by the receivers and can very likely be sold as part of the business

You would need a lot of bucks from crowd funding from what I hear. Unless you can find a benelovent multimillionaire .Ian would have to work for someone else in a engineering capacity as you can not run a business as a bankrupt for I think its 5 or 7 years also the IP is now controlled by the receivers and can very likely be sold as part of the business

Mark: nobody knows whether CAMit is in receivership, or has shut down while still solvent, to regroup. Also, the details of the IP agreement are unknown.

Too soon to make prognostications.

• Agree 3

Mark: nobody knows whether CAMit is in receivership, or has shut down while still solvent, to regroup. Also, the details of the IP agreement are unknown. Too soon to make prognostications.

Allegedly Handed over to accountants so looks like Receivership.

Oscar do not mis-conscrew what I am saying. I personally hope some sort of rescue can be made. I do not want to see anything like this happen. I was hoping to be there in 2 weeks as I was seriously considering the 3300. I think its a disgrace they way CAMit has been treated by Jabiru and also the CASA saga.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Caution 1