777-200 Known Issue

Geoffrey Thomas has won 35 national and international awards for Aviation journalism. But as I have said above, I don't know him from a bar of soap. I googled to see if he was a pilot. Couldn't find anything so I guess he isn't. I thought that would have to be a prerequisite for being a "expert" in aviation.

I will take Dutchroll's advice as he is a Commercial pilot ATPL who flies airliners for a living.

• Like 1

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to a presentation he did at a RACWA technical evening not long ago, where he spoke about the history of Perth airport. He gave a very good talk, and is considered something of an industry expert over here. (Mind you, there were only 7 people in the audience that evening instead of the usual 30 or so. Maybe that says something). He's not a pilot as far as I know. He's an aviation journalist and does know a fair bit about airlines and aviation generally. He's also pretty opinionated and outspoken. But when it comes to analysing what happened to MH370, I reckon there's a lot more informed and practical knowledge available on this forum.

rgmwa

Guest ozzie

How good a aviation jorno is depends on how good a network of information gathers they have. This mystery has everyone at odds to come up with something plausible AND news worthy. Name of the game here.

In the aviation industry how many participants are actually pilots. Most pilots i know don't have a clue how their industry operates.

My wife made an interesting suggestion about the Chinese ship making initial contact with the "pings", then confirmed and believed by an Australian ship. Her suggestion was that the pings are coming from an emmitter dropped by the Chinese ship on the way to the original search zone for the purpose of distracting the search to this area while the real pinger has time to die and be lost forever.

Geoffrey Thomas has been positioned as an "aviation expert" largely by other journalists and news outlets it seems and he is certainly used as a media outlet by certain areas of my own company (he pretty much regurgitates verbatim what the management give him on a piece of paper). The issue I have is that his expertise clearly doesn't extend across the whole spectrum, even though he offers "expert" opinions across it. I won't go into details, but it's a continuing source of frustration among many of my colleagues. To put it bluntly, sometimes he is capable of spruiking real garbage on commercial aviation operational and industrial matters. He should stamp his columns "read with caution", in my opinion.

• Agree 2

well you do have to wonder we are only getting a little info from the powers to be, and been feed a lot of bullshit info from the news filling in the gaps . I put it down to a cockpit fire and no ones home for 5 hours and off it goes to the fuel runs out .

well you do have to wonder we are only getting a little info from the powers to be, and been feed a lot of ******** info from the news filling in the gaps . I put it down to a cockpit fire and no ones home for 5 hours and off it goes to the fuel runs out .

Yep, my money is on the theory from the originator of this thread. I haven't heard anything else that has any genuine logic including the deranged pilot/co-pilot.

• Like 1