777-200 Known Issue

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone really think we should be flogging all our defence people around the southern indian ocean looking for the haystack in which the needle might just be found....insanity in this day and age.....Andy

Yep and that is if it is even there. The families of the passengers are not buying that story. Correct me if I am wrong but wouldn't it have to have been flown under the radar to get there or anywhere else?

The reason we flog all our defence people around the Southern Ocean is because it is Australias responsibility to do search and rescue for that area. Remember the ocean racers who have been saved.

• Agree 4

Apart from the very high cost of these operations, it must bring some value in terms of experience and the use of sophisticated technology in a very real set of circumstances. They would be flogging the aircraft around somewhere else anyway.

I do fear there is something very suspicious as to why we cannot spot any of these bits of debris after all these days. I don't know but something about this whole incident stinks to high heaven

The reason we flog all our defence people around the Southern Ocean is because it is Australias responsibility to do search and rescue for that area. Remember the ocean racers who have been saved.

Agree we're responsible for about 1/9 the worlds surface. Cheers.

I think you might be missing the point Yenn, I took it as Andy was saying in this day and age a passenger jet should not be able to simply disappear.

Guest Andys@coffs

I was not saying we should not put our defence people in risky situations, it goes with the territory, but only surely where the return outweighs the risks.......which to me is clearly very unlikely in the current circumstances.........., but if this kit and the underlying worldwide infrastructure had kept up we wouldn't need to put them out in harms way because we wouldn't need to find the haystack in which there is a chance that a needle might just be hiding...or not.......

Andy

Virago, IF the power was cut the CVR may be relevant still.. They obtain a lot of information other than voice Background noise, engine pitch etc..Nev

That is fair comment Nev ... and very true. John.

Guest ozzie

The Tony Bullimore rescue

Quote. The Navy could not organise a better rescue training situation. Find the book outstanding story.

Especially how they worked out he was still alive.

I was not saying we should not put our defence people in risky situations, it goes with the territory, but only surely where the return outweighs the risks.......which to me is clearly very unlikely in the current circumstances.........., but if this kit and the underlying worldwide infrastructure had kept up we wouldn't need to put them out in harms way because we wouldn't need to find the haystack in which there is a chance that a needle might just be hiding...or not.......Andy

I agree Andy... in todays technology surely general monitoring is the norm???? Even I read in disbelief that the engine pings are hourly... Is there soooo much data being streamed that the pings have to be 60 mins?? Make it 10min with a lat /long and we would have been looking in the right place two or three weeks ago IMHO.. A lot of manpower in the wrong place as it turns out on several occasions...

Tonight on ABC news there was comment from some dork called an "Aviation Writer" about how the changes in altitude & direction could only be caused by human input. Where do they find these idiots who somehow have become complete experts on all of the intricate systems of a modern passenger aircraft.

The dork referred to is Geoffrey Thomas, Aviation Editor for The West Australian newspaper. I have no idea of his credentials, and am not defending him in any way - just clearing up who he is.

Here http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/latest/a/22326227/crabbing-yawing-and-the-sideslip/ is an article of his from the West Australian today.

Pud

Yes teckair, but it did and now we are the nation charged with finding it. Of course it may not even be in that part of the ocean. We only have one ping and then doppler effect to say it was going that way. My original thought when it first happened was that it would end up in N Korea. Just a wild guess from the original news. Now it is anyones guess.

Geoffrey Thomas is also aviation writer for Australian Aviation . I have read his stuff for many years and IMO has a pretty good handle on aviation. Maybe he just had a bad day. PS- I don't know him from a bar of soap.

I agree Andy... in todays technology surely general monitoring is the norm???? Even I read in disbelief that the engine pings are hourly... Is there soooo much data being streamed that the pings have to be 60 mins?? Make it 10min with a lat /long and we would have been looking in the right place two or three weeks ago IMHO.. A lot of manpower in the wrong place as it turns out on several occasions...

I'm not sure who called them "engine pings". They have nothing to do with the engines. They are part of the satellite terminal functionality. They occur once every 64 minutes.

I think the misunderstanding originated from a person who probably had at least some technical knowledge of the satellite link breefing a journalist who, of course, was technically illiterate and he / she dubbed them "engine pings".

The dork referred to is Geoffrey Thomas, Aviation Editor for The West Australian newspaper. I have no idea of his credentials, and am not defending him in any way - just clearing up who he is.Here http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/latest/a/22326227/crabbing-yawing-and-the-sideslip/ is an article of his from the West Australian today.

Pud

That's him. He was on again last night but this time there was nothing controversial. Either he was having a bad hair day or was keen to get noticed as most Journo's are. His comments were were made as far as I can fathom from his own ideas and limited understanding rather than any genuine knowledge or research.

His comments were were made as far as I can fathom from his own ideas and limited understanding rather than any genuine knowledge or research.

Geoffrey Thomas is not well respected for his "aviation expertise" among professional aviators. And that is putting it mildly. There are a variety of reasons for the contempt shown for his opinions from full-time professional aviation industry people.

I loved his appearance on TV when he claimed that the early Chinese satellite pictures of the southern indian ocean search area (as opposed to the current area being searched) showed B777 wreckage floating on the surface and that it looked like the fuselage. I'd be fascinated to see him do an ink blot test.

He would easily explain that by saying that it simply floated to the present search location, but unfortunately sank before the aircraft could find it.

rgmwa

He would easily explain that by saying that it simply floated to the present search location, but unfortunately sank before the aircraft could find it.rgmwa

look, it was sucked up by an alien spacecraft and taken away, and the whole search thing is just a smokescreen because China has been negotiating with the aliens, and Vladimir Pootin is afraid the aliens would accept the CCP's world view, whilst Assad is trying to make Syria an Alien Economic Zone; Iran has got into bed with the USofA, who are negotiating with DIFFERENT aliens.... it's SO obvious... everyone knows the Anzani engines on the Handley-Page 777 overheat if flown over the ocean for more than 2 hours. The reason for the lack of radar evidence is because the French were testing their new radar cloaking device fitted to the Mirage-4s, which are intended to let them nuke Madagascar with plausible deniability, to get rid of the bubonic plague. In the meantime, the Australian Greens are losing ground in Tasphobia because the aliens in contact with the USA have given a demo of their mass mind control ray to the republicans...

• Caution 1

look, it was sucked up by an alien spacecraft and taken away, and the whole search thing is just a smokescreen because China has been negotiating with the aliens, and Vladimir Pootin is afraid the aliens would accept the CCP's world view, whilst Assad is trying to make Syria an Alien Economic Zone; Iran has got into bed with the USofA, who are negotiating with DIFFERENT aliens.... it's SO obvious... everyone knows the Anzani engines on the Handley-Page 777 overheat if flown over the ocean for more than 2 hours. The reason for the lack of radar evidence is because the French were testing their new radar cloaking device fitted to the Mirage-4s, which are intended to let them nuke Madagascar with plausible deniability, to get rid of the bubonic plague. In the meantime, the Australian Greens are losing ground in Tasphobia because the aliens in contact with the USA have given a demo of their mass mind control ray to the republicans...

A very simplistic explanation I'm afraid, Bob. Probably best to stick to airfoils. 043_duck_for_cover.gif.77707e15ee173cd2f19de72f97e5ca3b.gif

rgmwa

• Like 1
  • Haha 1