Aircraft Log Books

Louie

Interested to know how others keep records as required as I wish to be compliant for my 19 aircraft but RA-Aus keeps me confused.

Section 4.5 of the Technical Manual states:

1. An aircraft log book must be kept and the following information entered as soon as possible after the event: a. Date, hours flown and landings made.

The bottom of the page is headed EXAMPLE OF ULTRALIGHT AIRCRAFT LOG BOOK (Example follows) but there is no example following.

It then goes on to say blank log books are available from the AUF (sic) office. I have one of these log books but there is nowhere to enter this information as it all designed to enter maintenance as would be expected.

A previous phone call to RA-Aus advised it's ok to record the landings in my pilot's log book which I have been doing but I'm not sure about it. It's ok as I am the only one flying my plane but it couldn't be right for all aircraft where there is more than one pilot.

I also notice on the RA-Aus site there is a Maintenance Form. Is this what should be used in addition to the Aircraft Log Book? Maybe just make up an excel spreadsheet? What are others doing? I suspect there may be differing procedures used by all given the lack of clarity.

Back in the 95:10 days, after I built my first U/L, I created my own flight and maintenance log to keep in the plane.

FlightLog.jpg.532c71a0394203b80bc19102c02116dd.jpg

Above is the log sheet part (didn't bother with landings then), the interesting bit is the last column where if anything went wrong, I marked a number (followed on from the previous number) that led me to;

MaintLog.jpg.4545207285ab2e56b38d7ef89b2c88b3.jpg

A maintenance log sheet (hopefully self explanatory).

I printed about 4 log sheet pages to every 1 maintenance log.

With the dodgy old 95:10's, I seem to make an entry every other flight, but eventually the flight times build up and the work load drops off.

Naturally I keep a pilot log book as well..

You should log all maintenance on aircraft, engine and prop. As well you should log all hours the plane does and landings as well. This may be based on a hobbs meter fitted to the plane that may be activated by a "leg" switch which will only show flying hours. This method is OK if related to a consistent accepted procedure . You can't switch from one to the other.

If you log the fuel added at all times you have a usage rate that is proven and useful and can be used for flight planning purposes. Indeed it MUST be used if it is above the rate specified in the manual (POH). Go to a good flying school and see if they will show you the way they do it. The above is the way I do it. The daily records will get a bit tatty if used at a school by every pilot so you might keep that record separate and an entry made from it to the more formal record from time to time.. Nev

VDO is the actual clock time from engine start to engine stop

Yeh, agree, VDO is sometimes called tacho time, the other method that is very rarely used by flying schools is air switch time, it doesn't read till you reach a certain airspeed, I've rented a Tigermoth that was on air switch ,and it was reading slow too :-)

Matty

Tacho time may be used for aircraft maintenance times but it is not the same as "VDO" time as the tacho counter clicks over more slowly on the ground because of the lower RPM.

• Agree 1

Tacho time may be used for aircraft maintenance times but it is not the same as "VDO" time as the tacho counter clicks over more slowly on the ground because of the lower RPM.

Yes, I have tacho time and total (hobbs/VDO/whatever) engine time. Tacho time is less than total time.

Would I have to write in "Jaeger" & or mintach tacho time in my log, if ever I get to fly my dream machine.

Also would I have to provide blueprints / plans to the L1 / L10 mechanic to work on a home built engine ?, only photo's required at the moment by RAA.

spacesailor