I love cessnas

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ATTACH=full]28935[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]28936[/ATTACH]My C170A

65 year old and still going strong!

DWF

Amazing that they had this aircraft certified and on the market just three years after ww2 ended ,and that the type is still selling 65 years later, it would be interesting to know how much of the A model ( actually I think the A was the second model ,??) is common to the latest offering .

Here's a crazy thought ,Cessna doing another 170 as an anniversary model ,same fuse with all the later refinements ,that would be a sweet aircraft :-)

There's a guy in Vic with a straight tailed 172 ,converted to a taildragger with a CSU i0-360, very nice jigger indeed,

Matty

• Like 1

Looks nice. How much corrosion have you had? I've known a few with the Continental radial which looks great. How is the rudder effectiveness compared with the later straight tail? Nev

Cessna 170 - 1948 - rag wings, double struts. 4 on CASA register

Cessna 170A - 1949-1952 (about) - all metal wings, single struts, small split flaps. 9 on CASA register

Cessna 170B - 1952-1956 - Fowler flaps. 9 on CASA register

all had C145 or 0-300 6 cylinder 145hp Continental engines although many have been converted to O-360 180hp

Rudder is large and very effective. Probably more so than on straight tailed C172s but it probably is due to size rather than the curved shape.

DWF

Here's a crazy thought ,Cessna doing another 170 as an anniversary model ,same fuse with all the later refinements ,that would be a sweet aircraft :-)

Unfortunately it would probably not take off with all the additional weight !! We have four modern 172s in our fleet and they don't carry much compared to the older ones. I wish they still made the taildraggers - I love them.

• Like 1

When you see a Cessna, think Luscombe.

The Luscombe Sedan even had OMNI-VISION !

Luscombe did it all and Cessna was smart enough to, er, follow.

When you see a Cessna, think Luscombe. The Luscombe Sedan even had OMNI-VISION !

OK Nong ... I'll bite ... whats OMNI-VISION

We just hope the husbands don't come home while we're having them .... big_gun.gif.bf32cf238ff2a3722884beddb76a2705.gif

Eh Bex.

Don't let your ambitions out do your ability with mine mate.

Any woman that doesn't complain one iota about him buying expensive toys is a keeper & I got one of them:thumb up:

Alf

• Like 3

OK Nong ... I'll bite ... whats OMNI-VISION

Omni-Vision is a rear window ;)

If you have a look at the early 172s the rear fuselage went up to the back of the wing. he later 172s had a rear window and the fuselage wasn't as high.

Aha, thankls Greybeard. They give every gimick a marketing name. I didn't realise that originated with the Luscombe aircraft. I rather like the old slabbacks as they are they are cooler in summer.

Any woman that doesn't complain one iota about him buying expensive toys is a keeper & I got one of them:thumb up:

Alf

She needs to keep you out of the house that badly eh?

I'm joking, as per most times I post Alf 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

Looks nice. How much corrosion have you had? I've known a few with the Continental radial which looks great. How is the rudder effectiveness compared with the later straight tail? Nev

The C170 is rudder dominant. In a forward slip to lose height on approach, the ailerons reach their limit long before the rudder. The C170, and the C170A have only small, non-lift wing flaps which are 40 degrees, but don't give much drag and these models often need to be slipped. The C170B has 40 degree Fowler Flaps and is placarded against slipping. The swept tail C150's, C152's and C172's all suffer from just adequate rudder command. The later straight fin and rudder on the C180, (which was originally going to be a C170 'C' model), is very good. Had a C170A for 2400 hrs and loved the thing....but then I flew an RV6!!

happy days,

She needs to keep you out of the house that badly eh?I'm joking, as per most times I post Alf 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

Bex.

No offence here mate, I am out of the house 3 weeks at a time at work then out using my expensive toy whenever I can, no complaints from me or her on that lol.

Alf

When you see a Cessna, think Luscombe. The Luscombe Sedan even had OMNI-VISION !

I don't think 'omni vision' was a step forward, a step back in efficiency. Laurie

Amazing that they had this aircraft certified and on the market just three years after ww2 ended ,and that the type is still selling 65 years later, it would be interesting to know how much of the A model ( actually I think the A was the second model ,??) is common to the latest offering .Here's a crazy thought ,Cessna doing another 170 as an anniversary model ,same fuse with all the later refinements ,that would be a sweet aircraft :-)

There's a guy in Vic with a straight tailed 172 ,converted to a taildragger with a CSU i0-360, very nice jigger indeed,

Matty

image.jpg.bcef16f10416096d8f9472c1b19aa3af.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Nice, nice and nice. Looks like original colour scheme DWF

No, it is not the original colour scheme.

AFIK all Cessna 170A aircraft came out of the factory with a polished aluminum fuselage and wings with a trim colour like this:

1019607464_C170Aoriginalscheme.jpg.cebe5b86350f5a66d2770d4d64b656d1.jpg

I think VH-CAS started out like this but with a tan paint colour.

The aircraft has had an interesting history. For many years it belonged to DCA (Dept of Civil Aviation) hence the callsign CAS.

The DCA livery was fairly bland by comparison to the polished skin but most C170s were subsequently given an all-over paint job due to the work involved in keeping a polished aircraft looking nice.

If you are interested you can check it out here: http://www.airwaysmuseum.com/Cessna%20170%20VH-CAS%20p4.htm

DWF