Goulburn Airport Sale

68volksy

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

Ok so if anyone thinks they seriously had a plane tow a banner over a rocket car and then had the fella grab the banner and fly off I would be bewildered.

I don't mind people protesting things but putting that forward as a 100% real stunt is offensive, we aren't that DUMB

• Agree 1

What a croc.

So an an ad featuring an aircraft is filmed at an airport. Duh. Where else should it be made.

An airport operator who supports recreational flying looks for or accepts an opportunity for promotion or other funding avenues that will not impact us and some clown chooses to launch a negative campaign.

Anyone who has ever seen a Falcon or a Cessna can recognise the size inconsistency. The Cessna must be a lot closer to the camera or that is a toy car. Or even more likely, just like in the movies you are looking at two images filmed separately but from the same camera position (you know like when you see some actor talking to another version of himself).

I have flown regularly at Goulburn since it ceased to be in Council hands. I can vouch for the fact that despite a lack of support from some tenants, the operator has worked hard to retain and improve this facility. The complainers would all have to pack up and move elsewhere but for the efforts of the operator.

I suggest that others should fly in someday and check things out.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Guest ozzie

It's a funny well made advertising campaign, lighten up and stop being so serious most of it is CGG and bet that Cessna is not even towing that banner.

I agree Ozzie, what irks me though is the fact that that add is being used as an apparent real incident to push one side of an argument. I don't know enough about the situation at Goulburn to be on either side but I do know bull dust when I see it.

Actually, Soilmaster would have been more correct to have created a new Thread as what he has said is "Off Topic" to the original thread topic.

OME

(English language pedants get your heads around that sentence 062_book.gif.f66253742d25e17391c5980536af74da.gif)

Actually, Soilmaster would have been more correct to have created a new Thread as what he has said is "Off Topic" to the original thread topic.OME

(English language pedants get your heads around that sentence 062_book.gif.f66253742d25e17391c5980536af74da.gif)

Not a great deal wrong with that sentence although I am not sure that your choice of "more correct" is appropriate. "more appropriate" would have been more appropriate.

• Agree 1

Not a great deal wrong with that sentence although I am not sure that your choice of "more correct" is appropriate. "more appropriate" would have been more appropriate.

Now there's an interesting word - "appropriate". As an adjective, to be used as suggested, it means "suitable", but as a verb, it has a completely different meaning "to take without permission" 099_off_topic.gif.20188a5321221476a2fad1197804b380.gif

OME

• Agree 1

Wouldn't that be Mis-appropriation?: Nev

Not always - "misappropriation" is to appropriate something without legal right. Canberra appropriates money all the the time via appropriation bills. I think you misapprehend.

It's no wonder the world has trouble with English (language). Now take a bow, now, (don't start a row) and the bow and arrow you just bought and pass under the low hanging bough of the tough tree in the rough off the fairway, near the pig's trough, and if that isn't enough, jump in the lough. ( the last bit's Irish but I got desperate) Nev

• Like 2

Your issue is with OME. I was only responding to his suggestion of doing it without permission. Nev

"Appropriation" is value free. It covers both legal and illegal appropriation. There is also expropriation.

But we digress - as usual.

No. Goulburn Airport is not closed, did not close and is on the up.

This thread started years ago when the airport was totally in the hands of the local council, it was running at a loss and council was under pressure to justify ongoing support.

There was a fear that the airport could go the way of so many others and close, be turned into an industrial estate, golf-course or cheap housing. This did not occur; after a few false starts the airport transferred into the hands of a private operator, on a delayed payment basis. Having to turn a losing business into a positive venture in order to pay the council, the new operator reviewed user costs in order to ensure the viability of the airport. This was not understood by a number of vocal users who instead of paying rent, landing fees etc (because they had got away with it under the council operation) argued, protested and spread an air of negativity. This prolonged the uncertainty as not all targets were met at the agreed payment date, but through a joint view towards maintaining the airport the council and operator renegotiated the terms, rather than let the airport close.

This has mostly passed now, the airport is growing. The long dormant motel on the site is busy mostly with clients of the skydiving on weekends, two RA Aus schools for new students to learn to fly, GA training about to kick off again, maintenance services on site, avgas available, a new hangar going up. You can even call into the cafe for lunch and let passengers purchase drinks (yes alcohol available).

This is all good news, the airport is no longer under threat of closure, yes there are still some improvements to be made but give it time (and support from the aviation community) and this will happen. Despite the worst fears and constant claims, the sky did not fall on Chicken Little's head, he can still enjoy his flying from Goulburn.

With Sydney spreading south and plans for the new airport up that way, Goulburn (being clear of controlled airspace) should become even more popular

• Like 3
  • Informative 2

You can't get angry at the operator of Goulburn for restricting a runway's availability while some filming is done. Camden Airport Limited used to close down the main runway and associated taxiways at Camden for the filming of episodes of the Australian version of Top Gear.

OME

Guest ozzie

The "Bandit" is a kick ass jump ship. Is it still there? The drop zone has attracted quite a few jumpers from other DZ's even though it is 1800ft asl, limiting the exit altitude. The place must be doing something right.