Goulburn Airport Sale

68volksy

Guest Flyer40

Perhaps we should all paste this or something like it into an email and send it to everyone in your address book.

Help save another airport

Regional Australian airports were owned by the federal government until the 1990's when they were handed over to local councils to be operated. These airports belong to the people of Australia. Some councils are trying to make a quick buck by selling what isn't theirs to sell. This is allowing developers and bankers to systematically eliminate the general aviation industry in this country.

Please go to this site and vote NO to the Mulwaree Council's plan to sell Goulburn airport.

http://goulburn.yourguide.com.au/home.asp

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest osprey5

Well that's a surprise hearing about Goulburn. We're still getting over Warnervale and the potential move to Aeropelican. I've voted but its only around the 38 mark which isn't too impressive at the moment - hopefully more will make the effort to voice an opinion. Having relatively low time cross country experience Goulburn is always on the chart for a stop or emergency destination. Not sure what the freeway's like round there - bit hilly from memory.

Guest Graham Lea

ADVENTURER Dick Smith and his wife are stranded in the middle of Kazakhstan.

The couple have been driving across the world, but a little over half way they're in trouble.

And, ironically for a man who made his fortune in the electronics business, it's the silicon chips that have let him down.

"Even though I am an electronics man, it's the electronics of the car that have gone," he said by satellite phone from the former Soviet state in central Asia, recently made more famous by Sacha Baron Cohen's comedy character Borat.

"It was my only fear before leaving and now we're stranded," he said.

The Smiths started the journey in Anchorage, Alaska, last year.

But after 21,000 km, their four-wheel-drive failed to start today.

Mr Smith said he and his wife Pip were stranded 50km from the city of Taldy Kurgan in the Almaty province of southeast Kazakhstan.

They were in good spirits despite the breakdown, he said.

They were now hoping to be towed so they could make it to Mongolia some time tomorrow.

"We could be here a week, we don't know," he said. "I wish there was an NRMA roadside service out here."

To pass the time he has been exploring nearby mountain ranges and Mrs Smith has been making diary entries.

Mr Smith said he had flown around the world five times but this time, for a change, wanted to drive.

The 41,000km journey is due to end in Sydney in June next year.

"We've been receiving so much assistance from people. It (Kazakhstan) is nothing like that Borat film. Really that film is quite cruel compared to how friendly and helpful people have been.

"But I am worried the car is going to need experts from America to fix it. I don't know what we're going to do, it's pretty remote where we are but we've got water and food," he said.

Mr Smith said his global position could be viewed on Google Earth at coordinates N 44 degree 41.049 E 078 degree 02.725

First things - thanks Tim for bringing some public attention to the situation with the Goulburn Airport. The turnout today at Goulburn was great - the first time we've ever visited and seen more than a handful of people. We met a heap of flyers and curious locals today...including some forum members.

Here's some pics from the day, as you can see there's a large variety of aircraft that operate out of Goulburn...you normally don't see them as they're either flying away somewhere or hiding behind closed doors, hopefully more days like today will prompt more folks to visit more regularly and convince the council that there is value in supporting aviation.

Cheers,

Matt.

Goulburn-Airport-1.jpg.cfa2d72dc9d66f4768a598796cd11cb7.jpg

Goulburn-Airport-2.jpg.687c2944874e7bd1aaa749d9d60dc7e7.jpg

Goulburn-Gathering.jpg.154a1cd99516615c99c876b4909671b2.jpg

Gyro.jpg.a2ef7feba637a4d9be4eededa26a0b3c.jpg

Long-EZ.jpg.84f33f01ad805820d2a2c5ff28e83767.jpg

Sabre.jpg.e92df0eb705304a7714aadb4b5f68489.jpg

Tiger-Moth-and-Stampe-2.jpg.f0d9fa863dafc3674d30b62914e3215e.jpg

Tiger-Moth-and-Stampe.jpg.002d97a8292b2b442ade406a3f10c579.jpg

Trikes.jpg.bd81649c54870b6a28dac8667ebd9368.jpg

Not a huge number of votes but a huge swing to the NO. It doesn’t seem to matter how many times one votes. Is that fair?? Unlike the forum polls you can only vote once. I discovered that accidentally, honest.

I’ve looked for an update on Jasper’s Brush, recently under threat of closure. Can anyone help me out with that please?

Regards, Decca.

Matt it was a pleasure to meet you and your lady friend at Goulburn.

To everyone else there were actually 4 trikes present. 2 towed from Nowra and the other 2 of us flew in from a private strip 30Nm away.

Assuming this is my first post to successfully include an image (I have no paperclip to use), this has to be the best artwork I've yet seen on a trike. The eyes are the landing lights.

C:%5CDocuments%20and%20Settings%5CGlen%5CMy%20Documents%5CMy%20Pictures%5C2007_0901%5CCopy%20of%20DSCF0003.JPG

Cheers,

Glen

Thanks to everybody who came out on Saturday to show their support for Goulburn, and to those who voted on poll.

For me it was a very interesting day, with lots of interesting aircraft on show and people to talk with about their flying adventures. Great stuff for a beginner:big_grin:

Hopefully the council will take some notice and start considering the field an asset for the community, rather than just a cost in their spreadsheet.

Thanks again!

Greg

Thanks to those who attended on Saturday! It's way too easy to forget there are even planes lurking in those hangers out there over winter. The marvelous spring day that Goulburn put on certainly helped.

The local paper guy was out there for several hours i noticed and was taking a lot of pictures. He may have found that youthful dream of flying that gets too easily lost in todays age. Hopefully we'll get a good spread in Wednesdays paper.

It really looked awesome with people wandering around and a truly friendly and enjoyable atmosphere on the day.

Thanks for those photos guys - if there are any more can you email them to me at [email protected]?

The BBQ's will continue as they have done. Pass the word to all and sundry that they exist - it's amazing the response we got from a post on this forum and a 20-word ad in the paper!! It sounds like Tony Lamarra is keen for us to make use of the clubhouse he built in his hanger (above the offices) so with any luck we'll have that cleaned out and made comfortable by the next BBQ.

Thanks again,

Tim.

I have entered it into the site calendar for midday on the 1st Saturday of every month. You can go there and set yourself a reminder.

http://www.recreationalflying.com/forum/calendar.php

I hope to be there next time. I've been spending all my time in Taree lately, but the Cheetah might end up in Goulburn when finished. I'll throw all the support I can muster behind the anti-closure movement.

Ross

Another attack in the local paper today. The theme of the 2 people who have written in and are supporting the sale (and the theme of Council) is that the community is supporting a hobby or leisure activity and that is all.

We keep trying to point out that it doesn't cost that much to run but they do not seem to be taking any notice!

Frustrating indeed!

"The theme of the 2 people who have written in and are supporting the sale (and the theme of Council) is that the community is supporting a hobby or leisure activity and that is all."

Funny...in a sad way...how many parks, sporting ovals and buildings, golf courses, community halls etc. does the council support which are nothing more than facilities for hobby or liesure activities.

Interesting attitude of "I don't use it so why should I pay for it"...love to apply that to everything in life that some of these folks would take for granted i.e. public hospitals, schools etc. - I don't use them but I pay for them.

Another attack in the local paper today. The theme of the 2 people who have written in and are supporting the sale (and the theme of Council) is that the community is supporting a hobby or leisure activity and that is all.

Dear 68,

As previously suggested, the best defence to this is that regional aviation safety is enhanced by the airport being there ............. but much much more so, is if you can substantiate that it can be the base for aerial firefighting when required in the future. Get the local RFS boss to support you on that and the hobby/leisure argument will then be secondary.

We have had an AirTractor based in Wagga for the past 2 summer fire seasons complete with a big tank of retardant sitting beside it ready to go. Where do they do that around your area, and will the RFS or SES be prepared to say that they need the airport?

Another tack in your area may be to see whether the goal does any sensitive prisoner transfers thru the airport.

Hope this helps

Geoff