Private Hire - Gouldburn

Harry80

Morning All,

Due to work requirements I will be leaving sunny SEQLD and moving to Canberra over Christmas. As a result I am on the hunt for a school/club that provides private hire within the ACT region. Thus far Goulburn seems to be the closest location with both GFTC and Goulburn Aviation offering private hire (with Jabs and Gazelles)

Any recommendations for either school or something additional?

Thanks all,

Harry

PS - I would like to avoid private hire in Jabs - personal preference.

PSS - Currently my primary hire has been Tecnam P96.

Goulburn Aviation also has a Sportstar for hire (can't be too much different to the P96?) A student has recently turned up with a GA registered Tecnam and there's talk of it coming online also. I think it's a P92 though. I've been told by several people that GFTC is no more...

If you're interested in RPL or PPL then I can highly recommend the Canberra Aero Club. They've got a nice 172 for $200 per hour wet based in Canberra (save $ in driving?) and are a great bunch of happy aviators.

• 2 weeks later...

So a question was asked and the person asking already knew the answer. There is only only RA-Aus school registered at Goulburn although memory says there are two.

Well, good luck with that. I'm not playing.

In future please reference a public announcement from the organisation concerned, CASA, RA-Aus or some primary source that has authority to make definitive statements and a charter to do so.

May I suggest this drift continues on PPRune, where it belongs?

• Helpful 1

GFTC does not currently have a CFI, RA Aus advises that "GFTC FTF is closed" and an audit is underway.

The issue could get messy as RA Aus staff were caught on video going through the desks of GFTC staff in an unoccupied office.

Then a letter was sent by RA AUS to all current and former students informing them of the closure and advising that they should contact RA Aus before next BFR and a CFI will be appointed for them to test with.

GFTC will probably go on and make more just doing GA and RPL.

• Informative 2

GFTC does not currently have a CFI, RA Aus advises that "GFTC FTF is closed" and an audit is underway.

That will be a pity if an RAAus school has closed but will be continuing with it's GA work. Is this an indication that the RPL is having an affect on RAAus?

So a question was asked and the person asking already knew the answer. There is only only RA-Aus school registered at Goulburn although memory says there are two.Well, good luck with that. I'm not playing.

In future please reference a public announcement from the organisation concerned, CASA, RA-Aus or some primary source that has authority to make definitive statements and a charter to do so.

For this may I suggest one large dose of get over yourself mate, only thing need into go to Pprune would be yourself, although there you would probably not get noticed as you would be surrounded by obnoxious pepole. Need a reference?

• Like 1

Goulburn flight training centre shut down because of aircraft problems. The original training school, both Raa and GA, goulburn aviation run by Teraya Miller is still alive and kicking. (just attended the christmas BBQ which was well attended)) She also runs Canberra Aviation check out her web site by typeing in the names to google. Top schools and top training.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

That is a shame. I have senced trouble a foot out there at golbourn.You only need to read the notams regarding use Of the airfield by recreational aircraft to smell a rat.

Shame, last thing we need at the moment.

The notam has been repealed and cancelled. No current notams at Goulburn.

That will be a pity if an RAAus school has closed but will be continuing with it's GA work. Is this an indication that the RPL is having an affect on RAAus?

Nope, its an indication that you must run a school properly and have reliable servicable aircraft and competent instructors. Nothing to do with the RPL.

• Agree 1

So a question was asked and the person asking already knew the answer. There is only only RA-Aus school registered at Goulburn although memory says there are two.Well, good luck with that. I'm not playing.

There were 2 schools at Goulburn, the original Goulburn Aviation run by Teraya Miller which is still very much alive and kicking, the other school was Goulburn Flight Training Centre. which has been closed. No PPRUNE involved, no inuendo just facts.

The GFTC GA school shut down around 12 months ago now (just checked and the AOC has been removed from CASA's website also) so not sure how much they plan to make out of that... Wouldn't be surprised to see it rise again if a CFI comes by who's willing to take it all on.

Based on what I've seen and heard RA-Aus must be supported for their actions in this case though. They gave them a very good run, almost 12 months to sort things out, and provided plenty of assistance. They did what they did only as a last resort it would seem.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

hmm.. are they still doing parachute training out of the ex-school?

For the original poster I highly recommend getting in touch with Teraya at Goulburn Aviation, which is the other school. Private hires are available and she and her instructors provide high quality training for both RA-Aus and GA. Its a very friendly community there too. Just wish I could get there more often, personally.

• Agree 1