Ozrunways Android app - RWY

Keenaviator

I've just downloaded the new Ozrunways android app, RWY, into my Samsun Galaxy S5. This looks like a beauty. Easy to log in using my existing details and this allows it to download charts etc. It should be a very handy back up to the iPad.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

No, as I wrote in another thread it is a work in progress. Things like W & B will be coming and I was told that v1.1 will have SD card support, presumably so that you can save downloaded maps to there rather than to memory.

As far as creating routes, you first have to create a route by tapping to select a waypoint, then add more in as required. This creates the route window that you see on the OzRunways web page.

• 5 months later...

With the current issues around iPad and external GPS I am going to get to the stage where I need to upgrade - either a new iPad mini with internal GPS or an android tablet with RWY.

This thread has not been active for a while - any updates on how RWY is going ? Is it close enough now to OzRunways to be a viable alternative ? Its certainly a bit cheaper to buy an android tablet such as a Nexus 9.

I have been running RWY on my phone but its hard to get a feel for it on that size device

why run an ipad ( which is just great ) but also have android ph as well as backup. ( ipad and iphone...yes ??? ) this allows the 2 to talk to each other...yes/no

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

With the current issues around iPad and external GPS I am going to get to the stage where I need to upgrade - either a new iPad mini with internal GPS or an android tablet with RWY.This thread has not been active for a while - any updates on how RWY is going ? Is it close enough now to OzRunways to be a viable alternative ? Its certainly a bit cheaper to buy an android tablet such as a Nexus 9.

I have been running RWY on my phone but its hard to get a feel for it on that size device

I use both iPad and RWY on my HTC phone. As an OZR user you probably know most of this, but for the benefit of others who might not have used it on an ipad....

1) RWY is by no means as feature packed as the iPad version. The weather tool on the iPad is especially useful on XC flights. It basically pulls all the weather info and gives you a graphical depiction of the various elements superimposed on your flight route. It really allows you to get a good idea of where the weather is and where it is going in relation to your flight path. Another great weather feature is the TAFG or TAF graph which plots all relevant information from the TAF at an aerodrome. Really useful. There are other useful things that the iPad does in flight that the RWY doesn't. many of the HUD options including current / next area frequencies, closest local QNH, etc aren't on the iPad.

2) RWY does a lot of things well which makes it a viable backup. I'm not sure if its legal as a backup due to screen size?? so I always have the paper in the back seat, but realistically, RWY is my backup and I have had to use it. I was on my way to a class D airport and my iPad completely died (screen was faulty). I was able to pull up the charts, frequencies, etc from my phone very easily as well as navigate to the approach point.

So I guess it really depends on what you are planning on using it for, but for me, the weather feature on the iPad alone is enough to justify spending the extra dollars on an iPad vs Android tablet.

I've got RWY on a tab s 10.5. Pretty basic if you like it simple. Track, speed, distance. Airport info which is good.

My mate with apple phone is much more advanced with weather etc, as above.

Looking forward to getting some good upgrades in the future.......012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback - looks like I will have to stick with iPad - the features mentioned above are great. If the two were very close I would move across but doesn't seem worth it yet.

• Agree 1

Thanks for the feedback - looks like I will have to stick with iPad - the features mentioned above are great. If the two were very close I would move across but doesn't seem worth it yet.

The two systems are quite independent of each other, which is why the Android version is currently some way behind the iPad version. From what I gather, the Android system will develop quite quickly to offer similar functionality and perhaps more than the iPad version.

I have both, with an iPad mini and a 7" Samsung. The samsung offers what I call a 'lite' experience compared to the iPad. Disregarding all the white noise about viewing size, the mini is a very adequate platform for knee board use or for crowded cockpits. Although if I had the choice and space, I'd mount a full iPad either on a RAM mount or fixed to the panel.

I bought a Samsung with Avplan lite on it and it was useless. So I bought an iPad and have Avplan on that. Really good, but I still want to get RWY on the samsung. Can't do it at home as the internet connection is too slow so I am going to the library tomorrow and will try to download it.

I looked at RWY at their tent at Old Station and was impressed with it. Couldn't download it there either.

What about RWy go?

Extra app for iphone to run alongside OzRunways, pretty handly but does cost extra. Auto follows and finds nearest runway, swipe to see taf etc

Strip graphic line up with your travel direction. Provides ctaf and atis for selected strip

Gps issue only effects external GPS, not internal

Having next G (and therefore internal GPS) is a key part of OzR in my experience.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Do you mean it runs a head-up display? I've been waiting for this.

Well not the kind of HUD you're talking about. That's just what they call the feature. I'm referring to the boxes at the top of the map screen. You can hold down on them to change them.

What about RWy go?Extra app for iphone to run alongside OzRunways, pretty handly but does cost extra. Auto follows and finds nearest runway, swipe to see taf etc

Strip graphic line up with your travel direction. Provides ctaf and atis for selected strip

Gps issue only effects external GPS, not internal

Having next G (and therefore internal GPS) is a key part of OzR in my experience.

Yes a great little app. Syncs with apple watch as well to give you a depiction of runways relative to where you are as well as ad frequencies. If the aerodrome has a metar available it will also display a windsock on the runway diagram which is pretty cool.

snip snip snipThere are other useful things that the iPad does in flight that the RWY doesn't. many of the HUD options including current / next area frequencies, closest local QNH, etc aren't on the iPad.

snip snip snip

Don't you mean "many of the HUD options including current / next area frequencies, closest local QNH, etc aren't on RWY on the Android".

I downloaded RWY and it seems to be about the same as I remember Avplan Lite was. I downloaded the full Oz Runways users manuals and again, very much like Avplan. Having used the full app on the iPad I woulld be happy to use either, but would not want to use the Lite or RWY. I expect they will be able to get the lightweight versions going better in the future.

Just got a notification to upgrade to "lollipop" on my TAB S but can't install it as RWY takes up 5 GiG on the "device".

Got rid of about 500mb of crap but still about 1.5 gig short of the 3 gig I need. Bummer.....033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gif

SD card is just about empty.....so could fit the RWY data there....

REALLY need to get that RWY upgrade to put data on the card about NOW......100_please.gif.86b3bfbc115b0271e90584d59019e59a.gif

• Agree 1

Have you removed all the maps, AIP and ERSA? The immediate problem is probably the extra space that's required for the upgrade files. Once the upgrade is complete there should be more room available. Please ignore if I'll telling you something you already know.

I'd hope that the SD card option is high on the RWY upgrade list.

• Agree 1

I know what you mean. I might have to delete some RWY files, install new OS, then hopefully there's enough room to download the RWY files again.

The lollipop zip file is 1 gig, so that is something I might get back.....

Just did it. Got rid of a few RWY files (big ones), then installed lollipop. Turns out there's heaps of room after installation so just re-downloading the RWY files now.

Should be good to go!