Savannah classic thoughts

Captaincoop

hi. I'm new to site. Just about to get my first LSA and have been looking at CH701 or Savannah. I'm leaning towards the Savannah. I want t good stop aircraft and the price is right. I wondered if anyone has any thoughts on the sav Classic?ie: slats installed. I have read a lot about removing the slats on stolspeed website but don't want to upset the aerodynamics by doing something that might be unsafe making it unpredictable.

thoughts?

There are a lot of Savannahs around that have had the slats removed and just kept the blunter nose section they seem to fly well with VG's fitted and don't seem to have any vices, or you can order the nose D kit from ICP and fit the modified nose aerofoil. The classic also has a weight penalty I think most are max 520kg max. The slat version flys well too just a bit slower in cruise

Thanks Kyle, it's worth trying it out I guess leaving the brackets on at first. In not sure how easy the Vgs are to install but it would be good to get an increase in cruise speed as well as Lower fuel burn while keeping the stol performance. Sounds too good to be true but it is claimed on the stolspeed website to be possible.

I don't fly a Savannah but have seen a few of them. the slats are superfluous, go for VGs and they are not hard to install.

If you are looking at LSA, does that mean factory built? Have a good look for corrosion. Don't let me put you off as they are excellent planes, but be careful.

I have a XL so it has the new nose section and also VG's fitted....on the ICP they are fixed into precut holes in the nose skin sheet all you do is pop them in with superglue. I see you are in Brisbane get out to kilcoy airfield on a sunday or send John Gilpin a email and he can tell you where and how to fit them. he has sold many thousands of them he makes them. He has then on his as you saw on the stolspeed website and no extra nose section. i have flown in Johns plane a few times and it flys fine..no vices at all. Suggest you talk to John...he is back in australia again after one of his flying through the USA in a under 300kg aircraft. Saw him last weekend at Kilcoy for the little Xmas brunch. The Classics you see on the embers market are all built ones I am sure...the 19 rego will tell you

image.jpg.6f0bcf0b4ff9e3988532ca269bee3dc9.jpg Thanks I'll do that. Yes I am looking at the 19 rego for sale. It looks like it is well kept by original owner in noosa, but haven't been to see it as Christmas trends too get I the way. I'm not sure where the inspection panels are for checking for corrosion.

Do you have johns Email?

Some classics with slats removed have bitten owners badly when you push out to the edges of the W & B limits. Give Aerokits a ring and he will fill you in on the details, I spent a lot of time over there a few years ago and at that time I think he was up to 7 examples and counting. The slat is part of the aerofoil profile, remove it and don't modify the leading edge and you don't have the tried and tested aerofoil, either enjoy the mega STOL performance of the Classic wing or buy it a new leading edge so you don't have to be another test pilot.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

The balance on the Classics is a bit different as they tended to be tail heavy where the XL is nose heavy and if you were pushing the limits at stall there maybe a few gnarly tendencies...well mine isn't tail heavy any more :) ....john's email is on the stolspeed site [email protected]

• Like 1

I've been reading up on rotax 912uls service and the manual say (apart from the normal maint requirements) the the engine needs a total overhaul at ten years. Anyone know if that's right as the both aircraft I'm looking at are coming up to that age.

I don't fly a Savannah but have seen a few of them. the slats are superfluous, go for VGs and they are not hard to install.If you are looking at LSA, does that mean factory built? Have a good look for corrosion. Don't let me put you off as they are excellent planes, but be careful.

inspecting today. where should I look for corrosion?

inspecting today. where should I look for corrosion?

Look for bubbling or wrinkling of the paint emanating from under rivets or sheet laps. The paint over the bubble comes off easily with fingernail to show a whitish powder underneath. Can be treated but will require constant vigilance, that is a requirement of aluminium aircraft anyway.

Cheers

Rick

I've been reading up on rotax 912uls service and the manual say (apart from the normal maint requirements) the the engine needs a total overhaul at ten years. Anyone know if that's right as the both aircraft I'm looking at are coming up to that age.

Captaincoop, I recall that the Tech Manager put something out recently in relation to this matter. It was also talked about in a recent thread. I think you may be able to keep going "on condition" if your aircraft is not used for pilot training but check with the Tech Manager before you buy.

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What fuel theyhave run on is important. Avgas leaves more contaminants and requires the reduction drive/clutch inspected and overhauled earlier.

912's are designed for mogas. Best if ithas run on that mainly.......

after doing a 100hrly on my savannah, i have come to the conclusion corrosion will almost always be on the external skins, and will form anywhere.. not just rivets and lap joins. just in random spots.

although mine has been etch primed internally, i have not found 1 spot of corrosion internally, including inside the wings.

What fuel theyhave run on is important. Avgas leaves more contaminants and requires the reduction drive/clutch inspected and overhauled earlier.912's are designed for mogas. Best if ithas run on that mainly.......

This engine has never had avgas through it which is good

This engine has never had avgas through it which is good

Even if it had , it is not the end of the world. The worst thing about avgas in a 912s is still the price on the pump. The odd tank full for convenience doesn't cause the sky to fall.

• Like 1