Garmin D2

scre80

I don't have one, can get them if you like, but would you really get the value out of it given how expensive they are. When flying you would in most cases have a gps (unit or tablet etc), hard copy maps, mobile phone etc so would you get $450 use out of it?

I don't have one, can get them if you like, but would you really get the value out of it given how expensive they are. When flying you would in most cases have a gps (unit or tablet etc), hard copy maps, mobile phone etc so would you get $450 use out of it?

Thanks All.

I am up for a new watch and I have been thinking of a smart watch. But do not like the battery life / some of the features. The Garmin Seemed to fit what I want, and the fact I am currently training towards my Pilot's certificate, seemd to be a fit.

Before I went and spend any $$, wanted to see what others have got as a aviation / pilot's watch.

Out of interest, how much can you get the Garmin for?

Thanks

Scott

I use the Tissot T Touch ll titanium version and love it! Not a smart watch but not stupid either. Has a timer, ALT, thermometer, compass and the rest. Large digital display for UTC and other features, analog for local. Bit more then the Garmin retail but see a few bargains secondhand.

All right for you young people, but when you get older and the eyes get a bit dim, what you need is a watch with 3 hands, an uncluttered dial and possibly a stop watch hand. I use a digital, el cheapo, from Leading Edge Electronics. It has a large digital display. Stop watch and alarm functions. the alarm is never used, but the stop watch was essential for text flying in phase 1. Cost $12 singly,

• Like 1

Hey Scre80,

I got one from the wifey for my birthday last year and been using it on navs and local flights.

I usually turn the GPS on before take off and record the track I've made then check it against my proposed tracks in Garmin Basecamp to see how good I held track and also height, traffic pattern etc

It's also good to have a back up to my mental math when working out ground speed and being able to set timers for fuel check/change over or anything else I sometimes can lose track of in flight really helps.

• Agree 1

Never use a watch anymore since one decided to die on me en route. These days I just use the aircraft GPS to provide a very accurate time - and it even calculates my waypoint ETA! Wow! Back when I was very young, bought a Breitling pilot watch duty free - it was the size of an alarm clock, cost 6 months salary, and I never did work out what all the functions were. For the last 10 years I've survived on a very simple Casio digital which I bought in India for A$20. It runs perfectly. 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

• Like 2

Never use a watch anymore since one decided to die on me en route. These days I just use the aircraft GPS to provide a very accurate time - and it even calculates my waypoint ETA! Wow! Back when I was very young, bought a Breitling pilot watch duty free - it was the size of an alarm clock, cost 6 months salary, and I never did work out what all the functions were. For the last 10 years I've survived on a very simple Casio digital which I bought in India for A$20. It runs perfectly. 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

I wear a Seiko kinetic 200 meter divers watch. But to be honest, the best watch I have ever owned is my Casio G shock. It is light, easy to read and indestructible.

Hey Scre80,I got one from the wifey for my birthday last year and been using it on navs and local flights.

I usually turn the GPS on before take off and record the track I've made then check it against my proposed tracks in Garmin Basecamp to see how good I held track and also height, traffic pattern etc

It's also good to have a back up to my mental math when working out ground speed and being able to set timers for fuel check/change over or anything else I sometimes can lose track of in flight really helps.

Hi Jay_1984,

How do you find it as an everyday watch? Too big / thick?

Thanks

If you are really into smart watches like the Garmin D2 I can get all kinds of smart watches at different price intervals through my sourcing group. For example here is one that is half price to their normal recommended retail that has a GPS, is a phone as well plus every other bells and whistles you would ever want and only at around $200 (I can get smart watches starting at around $75)

1365248012_SmartWatch5.jpg.698e0a1b3b43c0259a2978270c994311.jpg

As I said, it is only just one kind so if you wanted something like this just tell me the specs and functionality you want and I will get it sourced at the best possible price:

[parsehtml]

Main Features

Phone Style

3G WCDMA Android Watch Phone

Highlights

High performance Dual CPU MTK6572 1.2GHz processor

Screen resolution: 1.54" 240X240pixel, capacitive touch screen

Android 4.4.2 operating system to download apps

5.0 MP HD camera

Supports Wi-Fi, AGPS, Bluetooth, GPS,Compass Sensor

GPRS,EDGE,HSDAP,HSDAP+, Bluetooth4.0, USB2.0

Supports an external TF card up to 32GB

RAM 512M+ROM 4GB

Support all android APP softwares

SIM Card Configuration

one SIM

Phone Standard

GSM, WCDMA

Network Support

GSM 850/900/1800/1900 MHz, WCDMA 2100 MHz

Messaging

SMS, MMS and group messages

Language

German, English, Czech, Spanish, French, Italian, Dutch, Portuguese,

Turkish, Russian, Greek, Chinese

Additional Features

Bluetooth

V4.0

Supported Audio Formats

MP3, MIDI, AMR, AAC, WAV

Supported Video Formats

MP4, 3GP, WMV, AVI

Operating System

Android 4.4.2

CPU

MTK6572 Dual CPU 1.2GHz

GPU

Mali-400MP

Camera

5mega pixels

Java Supported

NO

TV

NO

FM Radio Supported

Yes

Wi-Fi 

802.11b/g/n

GPS Supported

Yes (map is not included)

OTG

NO

OTA

NO

NFC

NO

Built-in Games

NO

Data Interface

micro  5pin

Earphone Interface

micro  5pin

Tools

Calculator, Email, schedule, memo

Talk Time

Up To 4 hours

Standby Time

Up To 180 hours

Others

Facebook, Office function

Sensor

Proxy-sensor

NO

Light-sensor

NO

G-sensor

NO

Acceleration Sensor

Support

Direction Sensor

Support

Gyroscope Sensor

NO

Compass Sensor

Support

Temperature Sensor

NO

Humidity Sensor

NO

Barometer Sensor

NO

Gesture Sensor

NO

Memory

Built-in Memory

RAM: 512M,  ROM: 4GB 

Card Slot

External T-flash card up to 32GB

Screen

Touch Screen

Capacitive touch  G+F+F

Size of Display

1.54"

Type of Display

Resolution

240X240 Pixels

Battery & Power

Battery

450 mAh Built-in battery

Charger

100-240V

Product Details (without package and accessories)

Size

58x42.5x13mm 

Weight

76g

Package Details

Size

125*96*76mm

Weight

256g

Package Includes

in the box

* 1 x Watch

* 1 x Batterry

* 1 x Charger

* 1 x USB cable

* 1 x User Manual (English)

[/parsehtml]

1703497628_SmartWatch.jpg.cd85e84e39e9a8308eaac4de516481cc.jpg

458717330_SmartWatch2.jpg.43d2934ee31e0b445ba8bf506c4965a0.jpg

920112268_SmartWatch3.jpg.77dcc287b8bd0d5ab6f3fb15ebd2fa42.jpg

219967116_SmartWatch4.jpg.113ed446b5e7756cf749624d9140c694.jpg

Better than Dick Tracey and his wrist watch radio! 020_yes.gif.58d361886eb042a872e78a875908e414.gif

Anyone remember the comic strip? 095_cops.gif.448479f256bea28624eb539f739279b9.gif

The author would be truely amazed at how far technology has come.

Hi Jay_1984,How do you find it as an everyday watch? Too big / thick?

Thanks

I initially was only gonna use it when flying but quickly got used to the weight and size. Its really just the thickness that can be annoying when wearing a shirt, but usually wear t-shirts so it fine.

Back in 1994 when a newby (if somewhat old already) pilot, I bought a Citizen Promaster Wingman pilot's watch in Chinatown, Singapore for a fraction of list price (about 30% from memory). Yes, it was genuine, it is still my daily timepiece and has only needed a battery about every 3 years. It is much thinner than the current Ecodrive models. Downside - I rarely use any of the multiple functions. Every possible timing task needed is done easier and better by OzRunways and/or a smartphone. Great watch, but overkill in today's world. A disposable cheapie would be just as useful (and buy a good tablet computer with the change!)