RAA Questions

Beeched Az

Hi All,

I'm new here and need some advice.

CASA in their infinit wisdom deem it necessary to mess me around for the best part of a year before advising me that I can't hold a medical (Class I only being valid for 12 months anyway).

That will teach me for being honest on the medical questionnaire, my bad.

Anyway going forward RAA might be a possibility if I want to get back in the air, recreationally at least.

What is required and how stringent is the RAA medical?

I'm based in southern Tasmania and would be keen for any recommendations you may have as to operators aircraft etc. (Are there any RAA aircraft with CSUs?? - I'm presuming turbines are out of the question)

Forgive my ignorance and Kindest Regards

Stay Safe.

BAz

If you have a medical clearance to drive a car you are clear to fly RAA. Is there any reason that you can't pass a Class 2 medical - which is all you need for a PPL

Sorry to hear of your troubles, BAz.

I recently warned another person on this forum of the pitfals of unnecessary medical honesty.

Of course I was howled down by other, naeve, posters.

If you have a little time, why not go to the RAAus web-site and look around.

If you have a look at the Membership Application and Student Pilot form, you will see our medical declaration.

If you believe that you meet the national standard (there is one) for a private motor vehicle driver licence, simply sign the declaration and send your money in!

Good luck

Fred

• Agree 1

Baz The only motor I would run a CSU on is a Rotax 912. You don't need one really unless you cruise above 120 knots. Extra weight and cost too and I'm not sure about how the CASA regard them lately. Nev

Hi Baz. . . . I'll echo Nev's comments re the Constant speed prop, a friend of mine bought a Denney Kitfox Mk 4, with a rotax 912 and a CS prop. after around fourteen months flying around the UK with it, he concluded that the fuel saving he got whilst in coarse mode was negligable when compared to his previous aircraft which had a fixed pitch unit on the same type of powerplant. Yes, a properly engineered ( and correctly adjusted ) csu system will maintain the desired RPM setting, which is basically what it was designed to do, but with tiny little short flights around the UK, ( and particularly training ops ) it just adds another bit of work for the student. My friend admitted that he found it quite difficult to absorb the actual concept of CSU operation in the first place, as do ( seemingly) other G.A. pilots.

Since his aircraft could barely make 110 Kt in the cruise, the csu was really a rather pointless and expensive cosmetic.

Last weekend, at EGBO, a local medium sized airfield, I heard the characteristic, Whizzzzz from an aircraft whose pilot had just realised he'd popped out of the overcast right above his destination, and banged the blue lever straight into full fine. . . . .with the resulting screaming protest from the poor engine. . . . bit like throwing your hyundai coupe into first at 100 kph. . . . makes you cringe sometimes.

I understand your medical problem Baz,. . . . I'm battling to get mine back after I had a high haemoglobin count on a medical for ongoing life insurance and the CAA aeromedical branch found out. . . .( ? )

My red cell count is now perfectly normal as is everything else, but I'm having a right battle to get my PPL medical restored. . . .

******* Edited to add. . . I guess they reckon the world of aviation can do without old farts ( 64.57 ) blatting around the sky at forty knots, wearing a flat cap and holding up all the traffic behind on the glideslope. . . . . . .

Ce la vie. . . . .

Phil

Thanks all for the responses.

coljones, CASA won't even issue me a Class 2, apparently if you use medication to control depression you are "an unacceptable risk to the safety of air navigation"

But its OK to have plenty of overweight old drivers with dodgy tickers in the left hand seat of a Boeing / Airbus so long as they take their meds!!!

Nong / Soleair, I'm starting to see the confusion. If I believe I meet the driving standard (which I do as I drive) I effectively sign myself off medically speaking.

But if I have one of the listed conditions (which I do) I need a GP (confirm not DAME) to sign me off? Based on this why would anyone with a DL need a medical?

Or have I missed something here???

Phil, Sorry to hear about your PPL battle, I did my PPL at EGTR circa 1997, fond memories of drilling holes in the sky around Hertfordshire, Essex et al on a summers evening(s) after work.

Before I relocated out to the colonies of course.

BAz

BAz, I've had some experience recently with a CSU, a ground adjustable and a fixed pitch prop pulling a Rotax 912 ULS.

The Airmaster CSU can be approved for LSA aircraft by the manufacturer. It adds a heft $10,000 to the price and a further heft of 9kg to the "empty" weight of the aircraft. The latter being quite important in a 600 kg MTOW recreational aircraft.

With the Airmaster you can get the full 100hp wherever you want it but, it will never pay for itself with fuel savings - it is just very nice to have. It is a very easy system to use once set up (properly). Just select take-off, switch to climb then to cruise and reverse on the way down. Not a lot of load on the pilot once you get used to it.

The fixed pitch prop worked OK but there was no chance for optimisation between mostly cruise or mostly climb.

The ground adjustable optimised for cruise is OK but you do lose a bit on take-off and climb out. When you have an engine with 100hp it is a pity to only get 70hp on take-off and climb out even if you get a better cruise speed.

On the medical side, the FAA have approved a Class 3 medical in the USA and are just waiting for the Dept of Transport to give it the final approval. When that goes through there will be pressure on CASA to extend it to Australia instead of the stupid "Drivers Licence" medical that they have now for the RPL/PPL. With that you could still fly GA but may be restricted in pax numbers and VFR/Day.

On the medical side, the FAA have approved a Class 3 medical in the USA and are just waiting for the Dept of Transport to give it the final approval.

PPLs in the USA only require their Class 3 medical - the new proposal is an exemption such that a Class 3 medical would not be required.http://www.aopa.org/Advocacy/Regulatory-,-a-,-Certification-Policy/AOPA-EAA-Medical-Exemption-FAQ.aspx#q1

http://aviationweek.com/awin-only/faa-targets-year-s-end-release-third-class-medical-proposal-0

"FAA Administrator Michael Huerta has signed off on the much-anticipated third-class medical certificate rulemaking, beginning the executive-level review process from the Department of Transportation and Office of Management and Budget, the administrator says in remarks prepared for the Experimental Aircraft Association AirVenture in Oshkosh, Wis.

The rulemaking, which EAA Chairman Jack Pelton says is the most pressing issue among his members, will "lay out the parameters that define how a person could fly without a third-class medical certificate," Huerta says. "We are trying to take a reasonable approach to ensure we maintain the highest levels of safety in recreational flying."

Incidentally, a commercial flight instructor there needs a Class 2 medical vs Class 1 here.

• Agree 1

Hi BAz

will your friendly psychiatrist write a letter to Avmed for you explaining that the whole purpose of the medication is to negate the effects of your depression and render you medically fit to do things for fun like flying little aeroplanes?

I passed my class 2 and resumed flying after a pretty spectacular break down 17 years ago. I was still on medication and was passed after an interesting discussion with the man. I have been flying ever since with no more depressive symptoms because it's too much fun committing aviation to feel crook again.

Avmed is getting a new boss, in fact I think they are probably in place now. So I'd recommend asking for another review because the consensus appeared to be that the last one was exceptionally narrow in his decisions. He was an import, too.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your life here in the bright, clean air and wide spaces of Australia after that small, overcrowded little island of fog and rain.

But mate, we are NOT a colony and we stopped reporting to Blighty in 1975. This weekend is our National Day.

Kaz

Proudly Australian!

• Like 1

Hi BAzGood luck and I hope you enjoy your life here in the bright, clean air and wide spaces of Australia after that small, overcrowded little island of fog and rain.

But mate, we are NOT a colony and we stopped reporting to Blighty in 1975. This weekend is our National Day.

Kaz

Proudly Australian!

Ooooooh Baz. . . . . . .I inwardly cringed when you used the "C" WORD,. . . . !! When I was resident in Australia it became rapidly evident that you could run off with a bloke's missus, and even steal his beer stash BUT . . . .don't call him a "C******l" . . . . or you'll end up with your bum on a hot barbie.

And Kaz,. . . . . . when describing our lovely little Island, you omitted to mention Hail, Sleet, Frost, Snow and near hurricane force winds for most of the year !

Phil ( Proudly HALF Australian )

• Like 2

Thanks all for the responses.coljones, CASA won't even issue me a Class 2, apparently if you use medication to control depression you are "an unacceptable risk to the safety of air navigation"

But its OK to have plenty of overweight old drivers with dodgy tickers in the left hand seat of a Boeing / Airbus so long as they take their meds!!!

Nong / Soleair, I'm starting to see the confusion. If I believe I meet the driving standard (which I do as I drive) I effectively sign myself off medically speaking.

But if I have one of the listed conditions (which I do) I need a GP (confirm not DAME) to sign me off? Based on this why would anyone with a DL need a medical?

Or have I missed something here???

Phil, Sorry to hear about your PPL battle, I did my PPL at EGTR circa 1997, fond memories of drilling holes in the sky around Hertfordshire, Essex et al on a summers evening(s) after work.

Before I relocated out to the colonies of course.

BAz

For an RAA Pilot Certificate (not GA) all you need is self certification eg "I certify that my health standard is equivalent to that required for the issue of a private motor vehicle driver’s licence in Australia"

A GA "Recreation Aviation Medical Practitioners Certificate" (RAMPC), (the old DL Medical) an alternate to a Class 2 for GA, is based on the AusRoads Drivers Licence standards with a list of aviation related exclusions. If you can't hold an unrestricted drivers licence (insulin fx will lead to a restriction) or offend any of the aviation related exclusions you can't hold a RAMPC and you either go get a Class Medical or say farewell to GA.

The CASA AvMed info on depression is contained in http://www.casa.gov.au/SCRIPTS/NC.DLL?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_101517. read it and talk to your Physc. and DAME.

Being a "Colonial" is not such a big problem. It has a certain cachet, including being able to stir the Poms. Some of our families helped colonise the place from 1788 to prepare it for later hoards of boat people from GB including our current PM and others. Some might even say that we stopped the wrong boats. 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Thanks for the heads up on colonials Col. . . . . . . but you may notice from my last post that I can only be HALF stirred.

Being a boatperson was the best thing I ever did. . . . .( the return trip to blighty being the worst. . . . .)

• 031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif

Phil

I rang RAA and was assured that if you were not an instructor or a CFI your family doctor only needs to print and sign an annual declaration that you are fit to drive now that you no longer have the option of being undiagnosed. That is not to say you can't be a CFI if you have suffered from and been treated for depression, just the paperwork is not as simple.

For an RAA Pilot Certificate (not GA) all you need is self certification eg "I certify that my health standard is equivalent to that required for the issue of a private motor vehicle driver’s licence in Australia"

....not the case if you have one of the following as stated in self certification form here :-

https://www.raa.asn.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Recreational-Aviation-Australia-Medical-Declaration-Revised-November-2014.pdf

Includes mental illness (medicated or otherwise), and diabetes, which I have, so I have to get my GP to write a letter every year saying it is under control and I am fit to hold a driver's licence. So presumably the same applies to you, BAz, if your GP will sign you off.

Cheers,

Neil

• Agree 2

PPLs in the USA only require their Class 3 medical - the new proposal is an exemption such that a Class 3 medical would not be required.

Yes DJP, I put this badly and thanks for the correction.

I have written to all of the Board of RA-Aus asking them to pay close attention to what is being achieved in the USA with realistic medical requirements and for them to put pressure on CASA to achieve the same here.

The FAA has been satisfied over 10 years of LSA experience that the drivers licence medical is not a safety risk. The statistics show it to be so. We need a rocket up CASA AvMed over their patently stupid "Aviation" version of the Drivers Licence Medical.

What we all need to do is stay alert to the reform of medical restrictions in the USA and bombard CASA and RA-Aus when the exemptions are law in the USA.

This is one of the odd things that may be good for RA-Aus members but not necessarily for RA-Aus. It would see the drift from GA to RA virtually cease and in fact perhaps drift back the other way. But it would be good for RA-Aus to have the choice available to fly GA or RA. Or to fly RA with a PPL or RPL in the back pocket.

• Like 1

....not the case if you have one of the following as stated in self certification form here :-https://www.raa.asn.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Recreational-Aviation-Australia-Medical-Declaration-Revised-November-2014.pdf

Includes mental illness (medicated or otherwise), and diabetes, which I have, so I have to get my GP to write a letter every year saying it is under control and I am fit to hold a driver's licence. So presumably the same applies to you, BAz, if your GP will sign you off.

Cheers,

Neil

Sorry Neil, I was working off the Application for membership form here

https://www.raa.asn.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/student_pilot_member-with-under-18-amount-November-20141.pdf

The disqualifying conditions you showed are those that need to be worked out if you want a conditional drivers licence through a GP, and therefore need to satisfy if you want to hold a drivers licence and hence a RAA PC

• 1 year later...

OK RAMPC medical sorted last year.

Can not exercise the privileges of my ATPL with the medical limitations on RAMPC (SE Day VFR, 2 POB <1500MTOW etc).

It's something I guess.

I Recently went for a RH seat ride in a REMOS G3 600 in NZ and was quite impressed (Rotax 912 CSU, FADEC, all the fruit).

Are there any REMOS on the Aus register? and how expensive is it to get the first of type on the register if I felt like importing one from the US,

once the exchange rate becomes favourable.

Thanks for all the info, blue sky's

BAz

. . . Are there any REMOS on the Aus register? and how expensive is it to get the first of type on the register if I felt like importing one from the US, once the exchange rate becomes favourable.

A quick call to Darren Barnfield our Tech Manager would give you an idea. As the Remos is ex USA it should not require very much at all. I think they were/are one of the most popular LSA in the USA.

If you like the Remos you might like the Legend that is all ready to go in Australia:

http://www.ultralight-aircraft.org/lsa-type-certificate-for-australia/lsa-type-certificate-for-australia-page1.jpg

OK RAMPC medical sorted last year.Can now exercise the privileges of my ATPL with the medical limitations on RAMPC (SE Day VFR, 2 POB <1500MTOW etc).

It's something I guess.

I Recently went for a RH seat ride in a REMOS G3 600 in NZ and was quite impressed (Rotax 912 CSU, FADEC, all the fruit).

Are there any REMOS on the Aus register? and how expensive is it to get the first of type on the register if I felt like importing one from the US,

once the exchange rate becomes favourable.

Thanks for all the info, blue sky's

BAz