Single seat aircraft missing near Bulli Tops

How do you train someone not to fly in bad weather in low light?

In my opinion, you can`t.

There`s the guy who has been trained to stay above 500` agl and look out for power lines but decides to get down to power line height to buzz the wife and kids in the car on the highway and is killed hitting the power line. ( Happened to one of my students )

Then there`s the guy who thinks it will be fun to buzz the mates, in the boat on the lake, gets it all wrong and the aircraft ends up in pieces at the bottom of the lake. (I did the diving to retrieve that one), fortunately no one was hurt.

As an instructor, you can only continue to point out the dangers and hope you`ve got through to the student, then it becomes the their responsibility from then on.

Frank.

• Agree 4

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Howard Hughes

What's the old saying? "Experience is using ones superior knowledge to keep from having to use ones superior skills" or words to that effect!

I've flown hang gliders up and down that escarpment and it can generate lots of cloud and fog with a south to nor east wind and a klm west it will be clear as a bell. And it gets dark earlier down on the beaches.

Unless he was carrying a gps with track log we may never know what he was doing in the last few minutes. Attempted IFR with a six pack or less?

Then there`s the guy who thinks it will be fun to buzz the mates, in the boat on the lake, gets it all wrong and the aircraft ends up in pieces at the bottom of the lake. (I did the diving to retrieve that one), fortunately no one was hurt.

Frank.

I never did hear the outcome for the guy who was filmed buzzing boats and skiers on Lake Hume a few years ago.

Anyone know how it ended up?

Kaz

• Caution 1

Well I'm pretty sure he lost all his privileges as far as RAA is concerned.....

I was wondering about the results of any court action, Maj. There would have had to have been serious charges, surely?

Kaz

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Andys@coffs
I was wondering about the results of any court action, Maj. There would have had to have been serious charges, surely?Kaz

unless there is that whole of sound mind thing........After all prima facie that would seem to not necessarily be assured...