Single seat aircraft missing near Bulli Tops

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-01-27/single-seater-plane-missing-over-wollongong/6050170

Single-seater plane missing over Wollongong, south of Sydney

Updated 9 minutes agoTue 27 Jan 2015, 8:56pm

MAP: NSW

New South Wales police have confirmed a single-seater aircraft has gone missing while flying over Wollongong, south of Sydney.

Witnesses reported hearing a loud bang about 7.45pm (AEDT) between Bulli Tops and Sublime Point.

A large-scale search for the plane was underway involving local police officers, Fire and Rescue NSW and ambulance paramedics.

More to come.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Howard Hughes

This is the view from my deck this morning looking at Sublime Point, OVC 300 at best, not very good conditions for a search.

image.jpg.c39d161d6769924262688e4dfe9a59be.jpg

hrmm, if i recall, Wedderburn is a private strip and I think you have to be a member of their club to fly there.. unless this person was just passing through (probably with permission), should be straightforward to know who and what sort of aircraft.

Here's hoping for a good outcome...

The body of a man has been found after search crews located the wreckage of a light plane that crashed in the NSW Illawarra region.

The crashed single-seater plane was located on Wednesday morning, less than two hours after the search resumed in dense bushland between Bulli Tops and Sublime Point at 6.30am (AEDT).

• Informative 1

It's crazy, nutty weather across the entire Sydney region to be flying a small VFR plane in. End of story.

This is the weather during which you camp out with the guys in the hangar over beers and cricket. Or if you're stuck with your plane away from home, you book an extra night or two in the pub, or get a car ride back home and come back to pick up your plane another day.

• Agree 6

just talked to someone from the area (my old instructor)... not a single seater, its a tandem tail dragger. 2 of them went out, one returned. so sad :(

From all the reports, it is an RAAus registered single seater, it hasn't been confirmed yet but it seems like it *could* be a Karaone/Karasport; as for 2 of them going out, see the below clipping from a news article:

-------

Mr Greig was flying in a small home-built style plane and had taken off from Wedderburn Airport with a similar aircraft.

The two planes were on their way to Albion Park Airport but hit bad weather.

"The two aircraft were separated from one another and unfortunately Mr Greig's aircraft came to the fateful end that we have before us today," Superintendent Kyle Stewart told reporters.

http://www.9news.com.au/national/2015/01/28/03/41/search-for-missing-plane-continues

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

Radio news here (I'm just the other side of Sydney and we've been getting totally hammered by this weather) said the crash occurred just before 8pm last night. Pilot had 40 years experience. 40 years. 8pm. Atrocious weather. Sorry, but I'm speechless.

• Agree 2