How do you get around at destination?

Akromaster

Just wondering how people get around once you've flown somewhere? Taxi seems the obvious choice if you don't have a pre-arrangement. Costs me $20 each way from Echuca airfield into town in a taxi. That's $40 bucks on top of aircraft hire.

Anyway, I've seen these electric mono wheels whizzing around in the Melb CBD last couple of weeks and went looking. On Amazon (can I say that?) they're $500-$900USD and weigh around the 10kg mark and the size of a small suitcase. They apparently get up to 20kph with a 20km range.

Foldable bikes as another option? That's what I started looking into actually, but they don't fold up small enough.

For the cynics, yes $500 is about 12 taxi rides into Echuca :).

Ak...

• Like 2

Yes I've seen those airwheels/solowheel sas well, sounds like they take a little while to get used to but once mastered they look like a very handy bit of gear.

Taxis are expensive but for most regional airports it is the only option if you haven't organised someone before hand.

I haven't thought too much about it but I would guess that a call to the local aero club of a location could well pay off with most people happy to meet a new face and help out when possible:thumb up:

• Agree 1

I bought a cheap folding bike from Aldi as a bit of an experiment. It's quite well made but weighs about 18kg, which is pretty heavy and it also looks relatively bulky when folded, so it's probably not going to be a practical proposition in my case. Would be good for a caravan though. Much more expensive makes like Brompton or Bike Friday weigh about 12kg or even less, and would be better in a plane. They probably fold up a bit smaller too.

rgmwa

• Agree 1

Guest Andys@coffs

I purchased 2 HASA brand folding bike F2 off ebay.....$300ea delivered. They fold up small enough that I can fit 2 of them into a ford focus boot. From a ride perspective not as good as a full sized bike and I get the odd look when out and about.....but a 100% on walking......

Andy

18kg is probably a bit too heavy. 10kg would be the limit IMO and small enough so if you had a pax, perhaps have two of them.

How much do the HASA bikes weigh?

Re: funny looks

These mono wheels get a few funny looks too. Imagine one going down the highway into town :).

• Haha 1

Guest Andys@coffs

Folding bikes are generally 12 to 18kgs...to get less than that you are looking at carbon fibre or titanium...both of which need an extra zero on what I paid for mine..... I wasn't that convinced when I purchased mine that it could or would work......

Mine weighs 12.5kg..... which is a damn side less than the silly bugger sitting on it

Andy

John Gilpin modified his savannah with a rear turtle deck and inside that lift up hinged deck is a custom made holder for one of those fold up bikes...he can fit a couple of jerry cans to it . It weighs 12kg I believe

I have some pics some where I will try to find them

You get about an hours ride out of it or 15 to 20 Ks and they are relitively light and take up not much more space than a bike wheel. You can get an off-road version with a chunky tire and also airwheel do a twin wheel which is two tyres side by side taking up not much more room but helping with stability for maybe someone who doesn't ride so much (manoeuvrability is not as good).

They are nifty bits of gear, if they were a bit cheaper I would have one:thumb up:

You'd be surprised how light some of these electric bikes are actually. 10-20kg but kinda pricey as Andy indicated.

Check out the YikeBike...still in development though (over $2k) but profile when folded up looks good.

• Like 1

Just thinking, Maybe electric wheel could replace the planes battery to save some weight, would be charged by the time you land, just have to remember not to return to plane with no charge left. unless your ok with swinging on the prop.

Google 'airwheel' or 'solowheel' or check them out on YouTube. I'll try and find a vid and upload

Solowheels look like fun. I suspect they are illegal in public places in Australia though... the same as Segways.

Guest Andys@coffs

I was surfing looking at that solowheel..... In another youtube the guy tests real world endurance...he got 34 minutes and about 5.5miles at about 10mph .....I'm thinking that is unlikely to be enough distance or time for what we need.

Andy