savannah nose wheel axle

Captaincoop

Does anyone know what/how to replace the sav nose wheel axle. I believe it is a weak point as the attachment bolt is in shear and there have been incidents where it has broken causing major damage. I was hoping to replace it with something stronger.

Does anyone know what/how to replace the sav nose wheel axle. I believe it is a weak point as the attachment bolt is in shear and there have been incidents where it has broken causing major damage. I was hoping to replace it with something stronger.

Machine it out and put a Chrome Molly bolt up the middle of it to catch the bits if it does fail, or send it to Aerokits and get Reg to convert it for you. Something stronger is also heavier.

Guest Vince Clegg

Pull the old one out and give it to any machine shop or engineering works and they will make a steel one for you.

Helps if you give them the bearings and screws.

I think mine cost $25.

Guest Vince Clegg

That's OK with a new axle but most of the used ones are slightly bent anyway. Also you still only have an 8mm bolt to bend if you do have a heavy landing so why not fix it properly and forget the problem. The few grams difference in weight isn't worth worrying about.

A word of caution.

Are you sure the axle and its supports aren't deliberately designed as a weak point? It is good practice in light aircraft design to protect primary structure (in this case forward fuselage) from damage by providing a frangible element in the system.

It may be that the nosewheel axle is designed as a sacrificial assembly on the grounds that it is more inspectable, easier & cheaper to replace than the fuselage structure to which it attaches. You can make the nosewheel unbreakable, but where then will the energy from a very heavy landing be dissipated?

Bruce

I can tell you from experience that the noseleg frame is much weaker than the axel. You use a high tensile bolt for the replacement. The only reason is the original really doesn't have enough meat in the ends for the way they attach the axel. Putting the bolt all the way through makes the axel way stronger. Even after the collapse of my nosewheel frame the axel is still ok...I did fit a new one of course but the old axel was fine and it had the bolt through it

Mark

• Helpful 1

The original axle wasn't good design - not enough meat where needed, and machining stress risers at just the wrong places... When it fails it breaks completely and drops the nose fork on the ground, causing a prop strike and if enough speed possibly digging in and flipping the aircraft on its back.... The through bolt bends but holds it all together.

• Agree 1

Another solution would be to move the main gear a little towards the front to reduce the weight on the nose wheel. If you bring them forward enough you are then able to move the front wheel down to the rear to hold the tail up:thumb up:075_amazon.gif.0882093f126abdba732f442cccc04585.gif.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Caution 1

Another solution would be to move the main gear a little towards the front to reduce the weight on the nose wheel. If you bring them forward enough you are then able to move the front wheel down to the rear to hold the tail up:thumb up:075_amazon.gif.0882093f126abdba732f442cccc04585.gif.

That has already been done...more than once, just never made it to Australia. The little wheel on the front would upset your W&B badly if you moved it all the way down the back too.

has anyone got a good idea to replace the cowl clip/screws. the ones I have are really hard to clip/screw (half turn) in and even when they do I found they can come undone in flight. I'd prefer a latch system of some sort.

There's a couple of systems here: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/search/search.php?s=cowl+latch&x=32&y=21

Get the ones for utes that travel 200km/h and you should be right. What is the worst that could happen if they failed? Lose the lid off your cowling, rip the fin off as it blows over the top of the cabin, or comes loose on ones side and flaps until it busts the lower cowing too, yep they should be right.

006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Get the ones for utes that travel 200km/h and you should be right. What is the worst that could happen if they failed? Lose the lid off your cowling, rip the fin off as it blows over the top of the cabin, or comes loose on ones side and flaps until it busts the lower cowing too, yep they should be right.

So that's a yes?......I have another idea but it involves a large amount of shoe laces :)

• Haha 1