Getting rated on single seater.. How?

shags_j

So as the title reads. How do you go about getting rated on a single seater. In fact how do you learn to fly the damn thing?

If you want to buy a single seater what is the usual process?

Cheers in advance,

Shags

Get time on something similar if possible. In my case I had built the single seater, so there was nobody to say yay or nay, so I studied as much as I could kept current during the build process and was talking to as many people for advice as I could. Look for any magazine articles about the plane type. If someone else owns the plane they will have a big say. Don't fly if you are not 100% happy with your abilities and don't be overconfident. Preferably fly where there is plenty of runway and little traffic. Finally when you do it just enjoy it. First flight of a single seater is much the same as first solo.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Shags,

While not completely the same, for me flying a single seat glider for the first time was much the same as said above. Be confident on something similar, know as much as humanly possible before the flight and then just go do it. Fun times.

• Like 1

I'll add to Yenn's advice by suggesting you also get some time in different aircraft, particularly if you have been flying the same type for a while (eg Jabiru's or other training aircraft). When I converted into the Cassutt Racer, a high performance single seat GA aircraft, my insurer's insisted I do some work in a Pitts Special. The work in the Pitt's Special did nothing to prepare me other than put me in an aircraft I was unfamiliar with. My thoughts and techniques were challenged, which is not a bad thing when converting to a new aircraft. As it turned, out my gliding experience and speed attitude control put me in a good position to convert to the Cassutt Racer. I had none of the trouble some others had when they converted straight from draggy Cessna's to the Racer. Some thoughts anyway.

Cheers

Steve

• Helpful 2

I think the first two seat suitable for training U/L's came along about 86. (Correct me if I'm wrong).

My thoughts are.

Obviously get time on similar aircraft ( flight characteristics) make sure your flying is well up to scratch with plenty of recent air time.

If you are the sort of person that gets put off by things being different, you must overcome that because it isn't helpful. Flying a few different planes may help and it may not.

Anyhow spend a LOT of time sitting in the new single seat and being familiar with where everything is. Some people have some considerable difficulty forgetting the plane they have done a lot of flying in and keep reverting to it. Not good. Recite all checks and touch and mentally actuate all controls till you are fully familiar with where they are and how they operate

All 3 axis planes fly like an aeroplane so anything is "just another aeroplane" in reality.

You need to be confident, but not overconfident. A healthy bit of apprehension should make you pay the extra attention you need.

Be ready to go around if it's not right and pick the right day (for the plane and for your condition, No flu or hangovers or bad nights sleep)..Nev

• Like 2

Guest ozzie

FH

The TST Thruster and Drifter came along in late 86. They were the TST Thruster and the Drifter.

As a self taught from the great old days i found that an aeroplane as FH said is just another aeroplane.

Just use a common sense approach write out a test flight plane and stick to it.

Back in the old days, not only did we design and build single seat aircraft... we test flew them and learned how to fly them all at the same time..

This is one I built in my carport at Raymond Terrace NSW circa 1987.

• Like 2

Seriously, I would have thought a lot of the endorsements would cover any of the single seat aircraft. i.e. If you were buying a Supapup and you had 2 seat tailwheel time, you should be fine.

A 2 stroke endorsement might be a sticky if its still required.

Proper knowledge of the 2 stroke may become a little hard to obtain. It's NO rocket science, just a few basic uinderstandings will keep you safe. Someone will make a career of it. Everything gets more complex. Nev

Hey aj-richo - love the look of the aircraft you built - looks a lot like my first aircraft (a single-seat Thruster) - only better - what sort of performance did you get? Looks like a Rotax 503 up front?

Own design, unashamedly based on Steve Cohen's Thruster, Stolaero and Condor designs but with a 28' ClarkY wing, spruce spars, klegecell ribs 1.8oz Dacron covering.

A venerable Robin 440 twin carb, CDI, belt drive.

Later upgraded with a Rotax 503 gearbox after losing prop, hub and belts inflight. Last flew 2005.

Originally a 50KT machine but alloy fairings over the wingstruts increased cruise to a mighty 60KTS. Stall was about 28KTS.

Additional tank between engine and windscreen increased endurance to 1 whole hour.

The Jack Flyer story resonates strong in me lol

Still have it stored in its trailer awaiting refurbishment... maybe.. if mice haven't eaten everything .

Sunrise Truro Flats 2005

Carport workshop.. 1985-86

Get time on something similar if possible. In my case I had built the single seater, so there was nobody to say yay or nay, so I studied as much as I could kept current during the build process and was talking to as many people for advice as I could. Look for any magazine articles about the plane type. If someone else owns the plane they will have a big say. Don't fly if you are not 100% happy with your abilities and don't be overconfident. Preferably fly where there is plenty of runway and little traffic. Finally when you do it just enjoy it. First flight of a single seater is much the same as first solo.

Good advice. It's not as if this is a new obstacle for pilots. Service pilots had to convert from trainers to single seat, high performance fighters without any dual time. They were briefed, read the AFM/POH until they knew it by word, sat in the cockpit, pressed the button....and headed out. John Laming has written a humorous story on how he self-endorsed onto a Hawker Sea Fury. Aggies faced the same learning process. In 1971, I'd just done my Ag-2 and needed separate endos on each ag type. I was directed to DYO my endos on PA25, C188 - and after a few shakey manoeuvres - it was all go. You do need to be in very good practice. happy days,

Thanks guys. I am getting my RPL in the foreseeable future and will be moving into aero's (hopefully competition) and the couple of aircraft I have really liked (and can afford) are single seaters so I have plenty of time to get into other aircraft and try new things.

Thanks for the advice.

Cheers

Shags

Shags there's lots of good advice on here.

My method, as Nev suggested, was to spend lots of time in the seat playing aeroplanes. Got totally familiar with where everything is and then did lots of taxi runs while nobody was around to see me make a dick of myself. (When is the best time to get an airport to yourself? At the ends of the day or when it's windy.) If your single is a taildragger, perhaps the most likely place to come to grief is after touchdown. Fast taxi runs in crosswinds and tailwinds led me into a couple of ground loops. A steep learning curve, luckily no damage.

That first liftoff is pure joy and never to be forgotten, but best to have a long runway and lots of landable ground ahead of you.

• Agree 1

Thanks for that aj_richo - I have since graduated to an Alpi Pioneer 200 for extended cross-countries (just flew across the Southern Alps to Hokitika, up the West Coast to Karamea, across to Motueka, and back to Rangiora - 5 hrs in all, using 73 liters of fuel, averaging around 95 kts). However I still yearn for the old days (I started in 1985) and my old Thruster. I also owned a Phantom single-seater and plan to get one or the other just to get back to open-air flying around the patch. Your machine looks ideal for that.

... moving into aero's (hopefully competition) and the couple of aircraft I have really liked (and can afford) are single seaters ....

There is a well-worn route into Lasers, DR-107s and Pitts S-1s.

Guest ozzie
They are not likely to let us return to those days of freedom (to die sometimes) , aj Nev

They would rather control how you die these days and possibly even faster and at a greater rate.

They would rather control how you die these days and possibly even faster and at a greater rate.

I dunno Ozzie, from the early AUF days prior to Horscotts I seem remember the figure of 40 deaths in one year..(?edit: mmm might have been the total at that time) but my memory could be fooling me