New recreational aircraft

Nah

Looks good but it also looks like it is only a drawing at this stage.

Its also a nice computer based rendition of what the drawing might look like ;-)

• Like 2

Looks neat, I wonder where the intake for the jet is? You would hope it would be able to be shut for better aerodynamics once at altitude.

Their website says it's an opening/closing airscoop that the jet uses.

I like the concept, but I wonder how heavy the electric motor & battery is for the wheels? Also I'd think it would require a large load of current to get 300kg rolling and up to some sort of useful speed for the jet, wonder how many launches you get from the battery?

You could probably copy their design and fit the engine to an existing glider. Not cheap though, the engine manufacturer lists the price of the jet + ECU as 11,658.35 euro. They have a better engine with double the thrust (the 'Nike') but that costs 28,435 euro. http://www.amtjets.com/form_pricelist.php

They are building the first two demonstrators now. Use existing production glider wings and canopy (different gliders). Yes it is designed as a self launcher. No the fin won't melt. No the batteries won't be too heavy, neither will the electric motor.

Jets actually produce maximum thrust at zero forward speed. Just like a prop but the thrust drops off with spped much more slowly. This is a function of the exhaust velocity of the prop or jet relative to forward speed of the aircraft.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1