gandalph

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Perhaps I should elaborate

Went for a short fly today, first since returning home from the Sunshine Coast two weeks ago.

I gave the prop a pretty big once over, not sure if I knew what I was looking for without a special light source.

Also not sure if I am qualified to inspect anyway.

Still had both blades intact on my return to base. 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

PHIL.045_beg.gif.b05ea876053438dae8f282faacd973d1.gif

Lucky the innocent children of the world have you to worry about them FT.

Jabiru really need a good flogging dont you think? And all those owners do too.......

Honestly dont know how you find and become involved on every Jabiru thread yet say the same things. Comments like you make these forums somewhere to avoid

• Agree 4

If this fault is what it looks like and isn't an RAA mistake.

For years and years Jabiru stated the only prop for their engines was a plank and then they turn around and start selling their own CF prop.

with no history of producing CF props...

against their own advice...

Why call a wooden prop a plank? You have a big anti Jabiru and RAAus gene ft. Neither of them do anything right (according to you). What's the point going on in the same vein constantly? It's like the boy calling "WOLF". You MIGHT have a good point one day, but no one will take any notice. Nev

• Agree 2

Jabiru dont produce the props

Like most of their product its built to their spec by mostly those with the background and skil required

Jab make the hub and pin it to prevent owners adjusting it

• Informative 1

Jabiru dont produce the propsLike most of their product its built to their spec by mostly those with the background and skil required

Jab make the hub and pin it to prevent owners adjusting it

Does Jabiru have the infrastructure to make the hub Jrtjr? I would think, but I don't know, that the hub would be either produced by the Prop maker or by a contracted casting & machining service. I do know that CAMit is not involved.

It looks like an issue with this sort of hub although not sure if restricted to just Jabiru. I have seen a hub made by Sensenich (with a Sensenich prop) that had come off a Jabiru (don't know if it was a 4 or 6 cylinder engine) that had two large cracks that had propagated from the markings for adjusting the pitch. It radiated out on both sides from the centre full depth of the hub. If it had not been picked up it would have definitely caused the prop to come free.

• Informative 1

Pretty sure the cast hub is made overseas, maybe machined or such locally.

All done by Jabiru.

Blades made by bolly, they make special one with bigger root size than their own version.

Jabiru drill and pin the base i think. Rod has always been concerned with people overproping their engines ie too much pitch.

CF blades are sensitive to damage or even scratch in centre hub area it seems.

4 cyl engines especially Jabiru have given prop makers trouble for a long time. I was surprised to see Jab release one.

6 cyl havent seen probelms on any CF prop that ive heard of.

• Like 1

The "leaked" AD

Forget the above, I posted a lengthy opinion but the "system" decided to record 3 words only and I don't intend to do it again and can't edit it, so don't try to make sence of the 3 words just forget it.

The "leaked" AD

Yes, Frank,

It always amazes me, thank goodness we live in a democratic system that allows free speech

Even FT is allowed to have a say 017_happy_dance.gif.8a199466e9bd67cc25ecc8b442db76ba.gif

A leaked A D in China and plenty of other country's would mean you are sniffing bricks for a while.

Just need to be aware that there are rumours and facts, sometimes hard to tell apart.

Forums give some pleasure for whatever reason, probably lonely key board sleuths, but they keep the site going with their comments.

Someone made a comment recently that we have newbie members here and wanted them to be be aware of the fact that this is a real problem for them to sift the crap. Hope so!

Let's hope that some good will eventuate from the "leaked AD" and the perpetrator is not hung and dried!

Just another interesting and informative comment to investigate.

PHIL

Just read your post after this Frank, sorry if I have misread your intentions.

Phil

• Helpful 1

Phil, I think the person who "leaked" the notice did so in good faith. I hope he/she does not suffer for that. I'm more interested in why it appeared to be "unleaked" from this site and by whom but more importantly why what would seem to be a potentially serious safety issue has not yet been officially circulated. Surely not because of a typo with the date. There's probably a good reason for the delay and all will become clear in time but until then......

• Agree 1

Maybe the severity of issue was assssed and seen as not critical enough to warrant immediate action

A previous "before next flight" inspection AD was released based upon single occurence drew heavy comlaint from me and others

Probably spent time evaluating problem more thoroughly, isolating effected models and engines, maybe even considering impact on manufacturer and owners.........who'd have thought it possible?

• Like 1

Guest Andys@coffs

Folks

Just checked with the office I expected it up Monday but there were some last minute delays for various reasons. I expect it to go up today. Someone talked about single occurrence....correct as I understand it

as an FYI we are currently being audited by CASA, which is marginally impacting on availability.....

Andy

FolksJust checked with the office I expected it up Monday but there were some last minute delays for various reasons. I expect it to go up today. Someone talked about single occurrence....correct as I understand it

as an FYI we are currently being audited by CASA, which is marginally impacting on availability.....

Andy

The audit Andy,

Is it good?

Do we have a clean bill of health?

Is it bad?

What are they looking for?

Are we grounded?

Regards

KP.

Guest Andys@coffs

Its a routine audit. They only become non routine when you have non conformances identified and don't do anything about them......

Asking if we have a clean bill of health when the audit is in process is too soon.

The Audit is neither "Big" or "small" its just an "all things normal" surveillance audit that CASA will do on all RAAO's from time to time.....

Grounded?????? what on earth caused you to ask that question.......in the past that has been CASA's escalating step number 95 and we are at routine step number 1.........

The point I made about "marginally impacting o availability" again that is just his team (not necessarily him himself) responding to the routine audit requests.....

I know folks might be twitchy after what happened in the past but please don't over react....routine means exactly that!

Andy

Must be a big audit Turbo.KP.

Not necessarily, I was just referring you to Andy's wording which makes it clear it is not finished, and so CASA have not finalised it and so have nothing to comment on at this stage.

Relax.