Jetman's new video

Akromaster

RAA registration? well ...

95.10 is the only one that allows multi engine and no propellers and required wing area to support MTOW of a max of 30kg/m^2

jetpack is 8ft wide and as approx 2m^2 of wing ... therefore MTOW = 60kg

wing including fuel = 55kg

therefore pilot must weigh no more than 5kg to stay within 95.10

Reality is for 95.10 the 'MTOW' of this = wing 55kg + parachute 5kg + fireproof suit 5kg + pilot = around 150-165kg so you need at least 5.5m^2 of wing

BUT

you fly this with a parachute - - - powered parachutes ARE within 95.10 - - - the wing area of the parachute is likely to be in the region of 8-9m^2 giving a MTOW for registration of 240-270kg

SO

if you really want to stretch the rules (and right royally piss off the Tech manager) apply to reg as 95.10 and rock the Ozzie sky with one ;-)

• Like 2

RAA registration? well ...95.10 is the only one that allows multi engine and no propellers and required wing area to support MTOW of a max of 30kg/m^2

jetpack is 8ft wide and as approx 2m^2 of wing ... therefore MTOW = 60kg

wing including fuel = 55kg

therefore pilot must weigh no more than 5kg to stay within 95.10

Reality is for 95.10 the 'MTOW' of this = wing 55kg + parachute 5kg + fireproof suit 5kg + pilot = around 150-165kg so you need at least 5.5m^2 of wing

BUT

you fly this with a parachute - - - powered parachutes ARE within 95.10 - - - the wing area of the parachute is likely to be in the region of 8-9m^2 giving a MTOW for registration of 240-270kg

SO

if you really want to stretch the rules (and right royally piss off the Tech manager) apply to reg as 95.10 and rock the Ozzie sky with one ;-)

Ah, but the craft is unpowered when you pop the chute.

In fact, one could argue that as you have to jump out of a "real" aircraft and land under a parachute, the whole jet thing is just part of the process of skydiving. Therefore all you need is a skydiving ticket?

Ah, but the craft is unpowered when you pop the chute.In fact, one could argue that as you have to jump out of a "real" aircraft and land under a parachute, the whole jet thing is just part of the process of skydiving. Therefore all you need is a skydiving ticket?

95.10 is based on MTOW and wing area ... the fact that this aircraft has two wings and can use either in flight is arguably fine

95.10 does not require you to be able to foot launch - if you are fred flinstone like in the undercarriage department - so the fact you take off in a helicopter does not disqualify it

95.10 does not require you to fly under power at all times and motor gliders can be registered here ... as could a home made powered paraglider ... and RAA Tech define the aircraft as the trike for flexwing 95.10 so arguably provided you design and build the fuselage and power system you are arguably OK within 95.10

So you see as I said you would piss off the RAA Tech with all these 'arguable' bits ... but its possible ...

Or you take it off to the APF and annoy them ;-)

• Like 1

There is some comfort in knowing that no matter how long I live, no matter what I do, i will never be that badass...

If only money and time were no issue, I could be badass too...then the missus kicks me and I have to wake up.

One of my early heros was the Rocketeer...game first in the 80s, then the movie (or was it the other way around). When I saw Yves Rossi's first videos a couple years agos I thought, "wow, Rocketeer man!". Back then he didn't have enough thrust to climb, let alone maneuver like they are now. Fantastically awesome to see two in formation...

RAAus reg was tongue in cheek comment, since I doubt this would be available to anyone anytime soon.

• Agree 1

I think one of those jet wings would end up costing close to $100k by the time everything was included. Then you have the cost of helicopter hire for launch and the 4 engines probably use a couple of litres of fuel every minute. Very short rides for very high cost.

Mind you, the thrill would be enormous!

Guest ozzie

The parachute is purely to land the pilot after the unit runs out of fuel. The reason they are developing this in Dubai is it was just a nightmare to get exemptions for flight in Europe. Dubai is a little more accepting. It has the best two drop zones in the world with the best aircraft i have ever seen. The Americans are still scratching their head. CASA has probably buried theirs and it would not even come close to fitting in anything the RAAus has. There is a pure glider version of this that is used as a training aid. Notice that there are three of them getting into the C130. The engines are RC jet they produce around 55lb thrust each. This version of the wing is lighter and has a more efficient section and was developed in a tunnel. Pure weight shift on this one the early version had small elevons.

Couple things in the op regs that peeved me off was NO ENGINE SHUTDOWNS in flight and no flight within 1000ft horizontal of terrain. IE no ridge soaring. So i really doubt 95:10 here.

I am OZZIE and i am an AUSSIE.