African Savannah

RichTee

Very fortunate to be part of a 4 man syndicate that acquired a Savannah S some 5 months ago....in that time we have all gone solo on this beauty and the hours are clocking up !

I've started this thread to hopefully share some of the amazing flights I have in her.

I took her this morning on a 2 hr flight to Bumi Hills Safari Lodge (http://www.bumihills.com/ )...leaving 15min before sunrise and getting there just in-time for breakfast. We were back home by noon.

Bumi is located on Lake Kariba in the Zambezi Valley...an area teaming with wildlife. There are no fences, this is untouched wilderness and uniquely these animals are truly wild...unlike so many "safari ranches" where the animals have been introduced.

From the air we spotted zebra, herds of impala, huge pods of hippo and loads of elephants. The runway is "cleared" of animals by the lodge land-rover....its truly paradise.

There can't be many places in the world where you "chock" your plane with elephant dung !

Herewith some pictures:-1h.jpg.9b00ee8f155edadaea66ceb34607de97.jpg

1a.jpg.1508c45281aab8be066878aa0ed5e213.jpg

1b.jpg.cf9c7b5a9a2991ac2ddc735450ae4af0.jpg

1c.jpg.f06eac461d69cdaa255abbd01dd44573.jpg

1d.jpg.a11986b2d2405386d7f10a1bb448a4bc.jpg

1e.jpg.6a8b1c12bf9b3526ed6d00c55b7572f8.jpg

1f.jpg.67e6486ee9133e32d74c29aea9e2268a.jpg

1g.jpg.6da2f96ced49f51fadb33a99083d05c7.jpg

• Like 12

Hi RichTee,

Great photos - thanks for posting!

I have also just bought a Savannah S and you are right - I don't chock the wheels with elephant dung 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

Cheers,

Neil

• Like 1

Hello Rich,

Absolutely enthralling photos!

Here in eastern Canada (Nova Scotia) we use ice for chocks....this year, even in May. But I do have a Canadian made Tilley hat capable of safely traveling through an elephant. Washing before wearing is recommended.

I expect to make the maiden flight in my VGXL kit-built this month. I will try to share some of the N.S. landscape (in pictures) with you.

Fly safely; all the best.

Keep those magnificent pics coming.

Dan Tonner

Welcome RichTee. Awesome photos and love the paint job on the Sav. I grew up there and have good memories of houseboat trips on Kariba, magical. Would've loved to be able to fly in there.

By the looks of the airstrip that hill could make for some interesting approaches when the wind is curling around it....

Dear mAgNeToDrOp,

Thanks for the comments, so sad that many Zimbos are scattered to the 4 corners of the globe !! Its such an awesome place with great potential but politics have stuffed it up !

Thankfully Kariba's much the same and the same goes for Hwange, Mana Pools etc etc.

There are 10 Savannah's now flying here as she is such a great plane to explore such areas.

Yes...I'm sure that hill and Kariba winds have made many a pilot say words like drat and darn. Thankfully for my flight it was smooth as silk.

On the way in I did a fly-over Tiger-Bay, Kiplings and Tashinga as these strips are all within a few miles of each-other...there must have been about 10 elephant on the Tashinga runway....I need to get a GoPro sorted as it would have made another great photo.

Cheers,

Rich

• Informative 1

My old instructor told me not to worry about sheep in the field (when looking at places for forced landing) - as they help to slow you down. Elephants, on the other hand...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Been out of action for a month or so, very sad story involving a rabbit hole, a front wheel and a prop strike.

Anyway herewith another pic....giraffe delaying take-off on the way home.....1816221003_TurkMineGiraffe.jpg.1cda792951e7c4de1ec5645e4f99e7a3.jpg

• Like 1

Howzit Richtee - from a neighbor in Pemba, Mozambique.

My aerie is in SA, and I want to bring her up here permanently......... Lotsa hoops to jump through!

Any time you feel like doing a LoooonG x-country, give us a shout!!

• Like 1

Howzit Richtee - from a neighbor in Pemba, Mozambique.My aerie is in SA, and I want to bring her up here permanently......... Lotsa hoops to jump through!

Any time you feel like doing a LoooonG x-country, give us a shout!!

Thanks Happyskipper....eish that would be a long one...800nm odd.....perhaps when I get big and have an RV :)

• Haha 1

G'day Tee and like your photos, bugger on the rabbit hole.

I get excited too when I'm building my Savannah but I don't quite get that psychical reaction.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey Guys,

Recently formed a trust here in Zim with some fellow Savannah pilots with the aim of using our planes to help our National Parks Authority and other wildlife concerns.....they really need all the help they can get to try to preserve the amazing wildlife we have in Zimbabwe...with particular urgency on our elephant population. Please have a look at our FaceBook page and like / share promote.

https://www.facebook.com/flyingforwildlife?ref=hl

Many thanks,

Rich

• Like 3
  • Winner 1

Hey Guys,Recently formed a trust here in Zim with some fellow Savannah pilots with the aim of using our planes to help our National Parks Authority and other wildlife concerns.....they really need all the help they can get to try to preserve the amazing wildlife we have in Zimbabwe...with particular urgency on our elephant population. Please have a look at our FaceBook page and like / share promote.

https://www.facebook.com/flyingforwildlife?ref=hl

Many thanks,

Rich

Hi Rich,

Good on you guys!! That is a brilliant initiative, very worthwhile. I wish I could join you.

Let us know how you go in helping to preserve your wildlife - I hope you are very successful.

All the best,

Neil

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...