Hi

Hi all,

Not entirely sure what to say. I'm from Canberra.....My first ever experience of flying in a non-commercial aircraft was a few weeks ago in a friend's Jabiru (had lots of fun and really enjoyed myself).

I will be more of an observer than contributor. I am looking forward to learn about flying, and reading about everyone's adventures.

Cheers! :)

• Like 4

Welcome to the clan. There's plenty of newbies like us and so many experienced aviators to learn from. Don't forget te tell us about your first lesson.

Terry

• Like 1

wow, looks like I stumbled across your post before anyone else, so I'm the first to welcome you - there'll be many more !

by now you'll know that us aviators are a very amicable lot, probably because we are constantly thrilled by experiencing what mere ground-based mortals can only dream of...

tell us all about your Jabiru flight, and don't leave anything out - we all love to hear from people who are just starting out in recreational flying (even if just as a passenger)

be warned though - the bug can bite hard, and you can easily develop into one of those who are constantly hanging around the flying club and asking "anyone need some company on a flight?"

here's the thing - no matter what, you'll always be welcome - keep in touch, and once again, welcome, and have fun!

Boleropilot

PS Jabs are nice, but Drifters......now that's the way to fly - Google up: Ant's Airplanes / Drifter there you will se my lil' baby 0455, and a bearded bloke in a red helmet - that's MOI !!!

if you want more info on flight simulators, just ask....

• Like 2

Haha. Nice to see two enthusiastic welcomes.

Kaywaman, theres a gliding club in Canberra so maybe go up for a flight in something with a 15 meter wingspan and no noise. 014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

there's a gliding club in Canberra so maybe go up for a flight in something with a 15 meter wingspan and no noise. 014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

TezzaP, Today at 9:17 AM

hey Tezza, sometimes Drifters go real quiet too - the only sound that can be heard is incessant swearing from the pilot's seat....

but hey Kay, take Tezza's advice and go for a fly in a glider - they're almost as much fun as a Drifter!!!

BP

• Like 2

Kaywoman, yes but now you have been bitten by the aviation bug you'll have to try for yourself. After all, it's just a jump to the left (seat).

Sorry saw Rocky Horror last night and couldn't help myself.

Boleropilot, yes a drifter flight is on the list as everyone raves about them.

Hi all,Not entirely sure what to say. I'm from Canberra.....My first ever experience of flying in a non-commercial aircraft was a few weeks ago in a friend's Jabiru (had lots of fun and really enjoyed myself).

I will be more of an observer than contributor. I am looking forward to learn about flying, and reading about everyone's adventures.

Welcome! I am from Canberra and fly RA aircraft so if I can be of any help let me know.

• Like 1

there's a gliding club in Canberra so maybe go up for a flight in something with a 15 meter wingspan and no noise. 014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gifTezzaP, Today at 9:17 AM

hey Tezza, sometimes Drifters go real quiet too - the only sound that can be heard is incessant swearing from the pilot's seat....

but hey Kay, take Tezza's advice and go for a fly in a glider - they're almost as much fun as a Drifter!!!

BP

I will add it on the list of things I should try.

Kaywoman, yes but now you have been bitten by the aviation bug you'll have to try for yourself. After all, it's just a jump to the left (seat).Sorry saw Rocky Horror last night and couldn't help myself.

Boleropilot, yes a drifter flight is on the list as everyone raves about them.

My friend (the pilot) has been trying to convince me to try a Trial Introductory Flight. I'm telling myself I am more than happy to be passenger at this stage...... 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

Welcome Kay 002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

Thanks Dazza 002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

Welcome! I am from Canberra and fly RA aircraft so if I can be of any help let me know.

Hi recflyer. Thank you 002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

tell us all about your Jabiru flight, and don't leave anything out - we all love to hear from people who are just starting out in recreational flying (even if just as a passenger)

be warned though - the bug can bite hard, and you can easily develop into one of those who are constantly hanging around the flying club and asking "anyone need some company on a flight?"

BP - I'm hoping to have enough willpower LOL

Ummmmm......in terms of my experiences.......I've been up twice so far (as the passenger). The second flight was longer and more fun, but the first flight was definitely the more memorable one. Very hard to describe the feelings I had in words, other than it was amazing! There was just so much to take in - looking and trying to make sense of the flight plans/maps, listening to AWIS/the pilot making all the radio calls, observing all the take-off/landing checks etc. My head was spinning trying to keep up with everything. I was just ecstatic having gone on a flight at all that day.

Second flight was a lot of fun but oh so exhausting. I don't know how you pilots do it - continuous scanning of the skies, position checks, changing frequencies, radio calls, looking at the maps, maintaining altitude and speed etc..... My friend (the pilot) tried to get me involved by asking me to write down the times on the map/flight plan as we were travelling. Let's just say I failed miserably 013_thumb_down.gif.ec9b015e1f55d2c21de270e93cbe940b.gif (there were things written in the wrong spots/crossed out.....)

hey Terry, the missus and I saw the rocky horror show at the Qld performing arts centre - what a hoot! who wooda thunk that Craig MacLachlan (the guy that plays the doctor in the ozzy crime show Dr. Blake Mysteries) could pull that one off..

he had the whole audience in stitches, I had a sore face at the end from laughing so much - the best rendition of that fabulous classic, IMHO - we were singing the songs out loud for weeks

you'd never know when one of us would say "it's just a jump to the left" and we'd be off again into rocky horror antics - so much fun

come up to the lab - and see what's on the slab - I see you shiver - with antici.....................

hey guys/gals, if you haven't been to live theatre for a while (or you're old hands) you gotta see this show - on in Sydney NOW (until the end of May) and going on to Melbourne I think?

book a nice hotel close to the show and make a real night of it, you might even find a bed/dinner/show tickets deal - get some mates together, do this, and you will thank me forever - don't miss it !!!!!!!!!!

spread the word!!!

pation!!!

Welcome Kay. . . . .

Keep on posting,. . .and don't worry about all these crazies rabbiting on about some darned theatrical experience,. . . .and don't for one minute think that Pilots are comfortable with all those complicated procedures you mentioned,. . .I still have not got my head around them, but I've only been at it for a short while. . . . got to get some real experience too . . . . .

Phil

• Like 1

When I took my trial introductory flight, I was passenger for most of the flight, but it added a new dimension when he gave me control... I'm now coming up to my 4th lesson... highly recommended hobby to get in to!

• Like 2

My wife and I have been doing Rocky Horror gags all day. Endorse everything you said. Fabulous show and would see it again in a heartbeat.

Wifey blagged me into seeing JC Superstar in the seventies, I'd never been to a stage show before, not my thing I thought,. . .enjoyed it immensely. . .followed by Godspell and then. . . Rocky. Hilarious.

Looong time ago now,. . wonder if the updated show is as good as the original. . . anyone seen both ?

Sorry,. . . .definitely OFF TOPIC . . .!054_no_no_no.gif.950345b863e0f6a5a1b13784a465a8c4.gif

Phil

When I took my trial introductory flight, I was passenger for most of the flight, but it added a new dimension when he gave me control... I'm now coming up to my 4th lesson... highly recommended hobby to get in to!

It certainly IS. . . . . . if you've got some spare disposable cash ! ! ! ! an early description of aeronautical appliances would be "Strange winged beasts which frighten the natives and absorb much dollars. . . . ."

• Like 1

It's amusing to think that, when I had my first tentative flights ( nonsense. . .I enjoyed every second ! ) The petrol was One Shilling per gallon. . . . ( for you young blades, there were twenty shillings to the pound, and I assume that a quid then would have been around two dollars. . .? all relative I suppose, if you factor in what an average week's wages would have been in 1957. . .! and I didn't have to buy it !! ( my neighbour had a half share in a Tiger, so HE paid for the fuel ! . . .they didn't usually accept seven year old students back then !)

Probably equates reasonably well per flying hour now based on a percentage of an "Average" weekly wage,. . .if such a thing now exists . . .one of the ex-wartime pilot flying instructors I knew at Don Everall Aviation at Pendeford Airfield near Wolverhampton exclaimed bitterly one freezing December day that he was risking his life turning "Idiots into Aviators" for a measly eight shillings and sevenpence an hour. . . . . . ( got some old pics of that place somewhere,. . .have to try and find them )

Anyhow,. . . . .don't let the OFR factor put you off learning to fly. . . . I'm envious just cause I'd love to do it all over again ! !

( edited to add. . .) I forgot to mention that in 1960, the then UK government started taxing aviation fuel the same as motor spirit. . . . it had been exempt for private flying since the end of WW2. . .

Phil

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
Ummmmm......in terms of my experiences.......I've been up twice so far (as the passenger). The second flight was longer and more fun, but the first flight was definitely the more memorable one. Very hard to describe the feelings I had in words, other than it was amazing! There was just so much to take in - looking and trying to make sense of the flight plans/maps, listening to AWIS/the pilot making all the radio calls, observing all the take-off/landing checks etc. My head was spinning trying to keep up with everything. I was just ecstatic having gone on a flight at all that day.

Second flight was a lot of fun but oh so exhausting. I don't know how you pilots do it - continuous scanning of the skies, position checks, changing frequencies, radio calls, looking at the maps, maintaining altitude and speed etc..... My friend (the pilot) tried to get me involved by asking me to write down the times on the map/flight plan as we were travelling. Let's just say I failed miserably 013_thumb_down.gif.ec9b015e1f55d2c21de270e93cbe940b.gif (there were things written in the wrong spots/crossed out.....)

Hi Kaywoman68,

It sounds like you really enjoyed your experience as a passenger which is great. Apparently not everyone enjoys flying in light aircraft. Most of my friends are too busy washing their hair or cleaning the bathroom to come flying with me, but perhaps that is more reflective of their confidence in me as a pilot than the prospect of flying itself. 037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif

Flying is not meant to be exhausting as you say and it should be fun, so perhaps your pilot friend didn't allow you to just enjoy the experience instead.

I note that you have what looks like a Spitfire in the background of your avatar, so perhaps you might already have the flying bug as a lot of us have but you just don't realise it yet. Maybe you should try a TIF as your friend suggests, and see how you go. There is a RA flight school at Goulburn which is not too far away from Canberra. But beware, once the bug bites, it bites hard, and there is no cure. regards Eric.

• Like 1

Phil - thanks. I think my friend may have convinced me to put flying on my 'to do' list. Unfortunately that list is just really long!

Nightmare - sounds like you're really enjoying the experience.

Eric - majority of your friends being always busy to go flying might just be because they're not interested, or are you asking the wrong people? I don't think it's fair for you to think it's reflective of their confidence of you as a pilot.

I did really enjoy the flying experiences. I didn't mean to make it sound like I didn't have fun - I think I just really underestimated what's involved with flying. It was a lot of fun learning something new. I think I just need a bit more practice..... I will be sure to let my friend know if he invites me to go flying again. I'm wondering if I may have scared him off with my terrible navigating.......

• Like 2

035_doh.gif.37538967d128bb0e6085e5fccd66c98b.gif006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif006_laugh.gif.d4257c62d3c07cda468378b239946970.gif

Hi all,Not entirely sure what to say. I'm from Canberra.....My first ever experience of flying in a non-commercial aircraft was a few weeks ago in a friend's Jabiru (had lots of fun and really enjoyed myself).

Hi and welcome

No one will bite you here. Most of the guys are that old they lost their teeth years ago! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Kaz

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Phil - thanks. I think my friend may have convinced me to put flying on my 'to do' list. Unfortunately that list is just really long!Nightmare - sounds like you're really enjoying the experience.

Eric - majority of your friends being always busy to go flying might just be because they're not interested, or are you asking the wrong people? I don't think it's fair for you to think it's reflective of their confidence of you as a pilot.

I did really enjoy the flying experiences. I didn't mean to make it sound like I didn't have fun - I think I just really underestimated what's involved with flying. It was a lot of fun learning something new. I think I just need a bit more practice..... I will be sure to let my friend know if he invites me to go flying again. I'm wondering if I may have scared him off with my terrible navigating.......

If you do decide to take up the dream and learn to fly, don't be too overwhelmed with the perceived workload of being a pilot. Learning to fly is taken in small morsels. The pilot you were watching has at least 30 hours of training and experience behind him, and you will be surprised after you gaining that experience, I'm guessing you will be as competent and skillful. It kinda sneaks up on you like that.

• Helpful 1

Kaz - thanks :)Nightmare - Thank you. I look forward to reading more about your flying lessons and adventures.

Circuits next fortnight again, I'm guessing that I'll be doing them until I solo, with some goodies like emergency landing procedures and the like thrown in to spice things up a bit. I'm just plodding along, doing about one lesson a fortnight. 7 hours in the log book now.

• Like 1