Arion Lightning

Is the Australian Arion Lightning factory still in operation? The web address I have for them doesn't work. Can someone give me the correct one please. On the same subject I would like to hear from any Lightning owners and get their opinion of the aeroplane (or even a non owner who has an opinion.)

If you have any luck, contact the american company direct. Great look aeroplane. There was one for sale for 65 k on the RAA members market a while ago. Bargain IMO.

Yep same one had $100,000 on it 12 months ago, give it another 12 months and some more delays/problems with Jabiru motors, and he/she might pay you to take it away. I do agree it is a great looking airplane.

Yes..I've been eye'ing that Lightning. Always liked the look of the Lightning, but was turned off it initially because I was snubbed at Natfly one year. Was waiting for ages to speak to the guy, but he was in no hurry to chat (didn't seem like he was interested in selling). And of course the Jab engine issues with CASA - not that I have any issues with it, but I'm waiting until at least the instrument expires in June, as I'm sure other potential buyers are as well.

The only one I've been involved with flew like a dog. Would be reluctant to touch one . I believe later models have had the tail plane area almost doubled. Read the accident reports in the US on the NTSB website. Plenty of comments around saying it needs an "experienced pilot" to handle it. To me that is code for "not very good". They do look good on the ground though.

• Haha 1
  • Informative 2

Ok here is another question still concerning this lightning. It has a CAMit 3300 engine which I believe is an independently modified Jabiru. Did CAMit find mods that makes the engine reliable and free from its previous problems that have scared people away from Jab egines?

• Informative 1

I'm always reluctant to post second hand comments, but I spoke to someone who is a very experienced pilot and has flown almost everything from old war birds to jumbo jets and his comment after one flight in a lightning was that he wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. Take that comment for what it's worth, but for me it was enough.

• Agree 1

Search 'Kitplanes' magazine, they had a detailed flight review about 2 or 3 years ago.... suggested a few tweaks etc.

Also Dan Johnson has flown it and had praised it. His video is on youtube.

I was quite interested in the Lightning and started the usual web search etc. I think I did contact the deal of the century one advertised and was told it had some repairs required, front landing gear, and on further enquiries told a Camit engine was to be fitted. The Camit would not be considered a Jab motor, I contacted Camit to enquire if it was bolt on bits or total new engine, and it is the later. Quite a few accidents, but with a high end plane this may be expected especially with low time low experienced pilots. Dan Johnson does give it a good review, but then again does he give bad ones? There are ADs required on the plane , I assume that these will be checked by buyer. I think the plane offered is a very attractive buy for the right person , especially if it checks out .

Search 'Kitplanes' magazine, they had a detailed flight review about 2 or 3 years ago.... suggested a few tweaks etc.

They did an update on the latest version of the Lightning in April this year, and it got a much better report. As I recall, the previous example got a somewhat negative appraisal in the earlier article.

rgmwa

• 1 year later...
I'm always reluctant to post second hand comments, but I spoke to someone who is a very experienced pilot and has flown almost everything from old war birds to jumbo jets and his comment after one flight in a lightning was that he wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. Take that comment for what it's worth, but for me it was enough.

Its not the easiest plane to take off and land but once you know how to fly it it's great, that's why manufacturer says 10hrs transition training.. i flew a lightning at 30hrs experience and have done 40hrs in it now.

You get places fast though 145knt cruise