Hello...

dominicm

Flight enthusiast but chronic fear of heights which I'm hoping to resolve in near future by taking some flights out of Popham Airfield later this Summer...sure I'll love it when I get off the ground...otherwise my main hobby is RC model building, flying and filming and shows and events for the enjoyment of other modellers...Cheers Dom

An example of my recent work and the subject matter...

• Like 3

You may find that your fear of heights doesn't translate to flying. I cannot stand near an edge at height or even near a floor to ceiling glass window several floors up. Strangely, I have no such fears when banking aircraft, typically gliders but also a Foxbat with amazing visibility. I have no explanation but somehow it is different in my head.

Welcome and all the best for your lessons.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

WOW, not into r/c myself but the flying Ferrari vid is the absolute best ever. A great joint effort twix yourself and your cameraman. Love the Mobius system.In fact, I want something like that on my plane if and when I build it. A good record of all views/systems in case something goes wrong.

Brilliant effort Dom. BTW, welcome to the real world of flying.

Hi Dom, & welcome. Love the RC models.

Ah - Popham. My first cross country was to Popham, from my home airfield of Sandown on the Isle of Wight. It took a couple of hours in my Pterodactyl, & then I got lost en route & landed in a small paddock near a pub, several miles from Popham airfield. I walked into the pub in my flying gear & asked the way, using my quarter million air map. The landlord struggled to believe I'd landed in the little paddock, but gave directions which I followed, but from the air!

Wreford Fisher ran the field in those days (1979). Bit of a strange guy, but a great little airfield.

As to the fear of heights, don't worry too much. I hate climbing a ladder, but was quite happy jumping off Beachy Head cliffs in my early hang gliding days. It's different when you've got wings attached!

Good luck - keep us informed of your progress.

Bruce

Very impressive however I only saw the first 10-20 seconds of each flight as I blacked out on some of the turns, then when vision returned my computer monitor was on the floor. 037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif.

Welcome.

Alan from Guernsey.

• Haha 2

I'm new here myself (first post). But thought I'd mention that I completely agree with what TezzaP said above. I too am very uneasy with heights. I once (foolishly) went up in a cherry-picker bucket to assist someone. They had to put me back down on the ground again. You can't be very helpful with both hands locked rigor mortis like to the bucket railing. But I have no problems in a 3 axis aircraft at all. Even when banked steeply, just like TezzaP. So while everyone’s different it may very well be that you will feel fine in an aircraft. Go try a TIF and find out.

The RC aircraft are awesome!

Steve.

Hiya Dom and Steve,. . .

My friend Dave Perry ( no relation ) has always had a dread fear of heights, but is now an Airbus A320 Captain with Thomas Cook, and was also the CFI at Old Sarum airfield for a while, training on three axis microlights and also a Mainair Blade flexwing which he bought to try and deliberately get himself over the acrophobia. . .His Lady Anne Marie, says he is bloody useless on a low stepladder doing the decorating though ! ! ! !

Welcome to the forum Steve, and Welcome Dom,. . .from another Pom. . . . .!

Phil

I am terrified of heights. I do not go up a three step step ladder. That is the reason that I never took up flying years ago. A chance encounter last year changed all that. I will admit that had my first TIF been in/on a Drifter then my flying career would have been very short lived, but that is another story.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Welcome Dom, I see you are itching to get into the air. Don't let a perceived fear of heights stop you... just do it! Book a trial introductory flight at an airfield of your choice and see if it's for you.

Tony

Another one here with a fear of heights, and actually started out with a fear of flying. Now an RPL holder with abut 150hours under the belt! Given I was sedated for my first ever commercial flight, its just goes to show that anyone can conquer that fear! Good luck with it all, and hopefully you end up like me with a nice new expensive hobby!

Another one here with a fear of heights, and actually started out with a fear of flying. Now an RPL holder with abut 150hours under the belt! Given I was sedated for my first ever commercial flight, its just goes to show that anyone can conquer that fear! Good luck with it all, and hopefully you end up like me with a nice new expensive hobby!

Well done mate,. . . I'm, er,. . well, a little careful about working at heights,. . . one of my first jobs when I got chucked off the convict ship at Melbourne docks in 1971 was welding together strips of angle iron ( 6"x 6" x 10ft) and dynabolting them to a concrete building to take the brick cladding,. . . in the middle of the city up to fifteen floors high, . . never really enjoyed working on scaffolding ! ! !

Flying is really, well different in a lot of respects, for a starter ( unless you learn in an open trike ) you are sealed in to a nice comfortable office, and insulated a little from what's out there and DOWN there ! . . . and it never really worried me that much. If I needed to calm my nerves, I just opened the ashtray on the instrument panel and used the fag lighter and had a few puffs. . .( how things have changed ! ) I still won't sit with me legs dangling over a four hundred foot cliff though. . . sod that. ( just seen some kids doing that at Beachy Head on the TV news. . .)

When I was introduced to the delights of trike flying, I was fairly terrified at being surrounded by nothing but air,. . . and the first time up, in fairly turbulent condx., I admit that my bum was going fifty cents five cents etc. . . for a bit, after that you just seem to get used to it.

But to overcome a genuine fear of heights is brilliant, and you are to be commended for your determination. I still can't get my Wife to fly ( light aircraft ) she used to be quite compliant about sitting behind me on my old Triumph down to the coast . . . funny that. . . .she refused to go up to the top of two towers as well,. . .( Blackpool and Eiffel )

Phil