TV Interview with Differing Interpretations

Guest john

World renowned Spanish singer Julio Iglesias was being interviewed on UK TV by British host Ann Diamond.

During this interview Julio used the word "MANYANA". Ann Diamond asked Julio to explain what he meant by using the word 'MANYANA'. He responded by giving the amplification of this word which means as follows: "Maybe the job will be done tomorrow, maybe the next day, maybe the day after that or even perhaps next week, next month, next year. who really cares".

The TV Host Ann Diamond then turned to Albert Yatapingu from the Gumbaingeri Tribe who was also on the same TV show & she asked him if there was an equivalent word or interpretation of the word MANYANA in his native language.

Albert replied "Nah, in Australia we don't have a word to describe that degree of urgency".014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

I've never seen any written native language. Nev

At least one Native American nation (Cherokee from memory) developed their own script in an effort to preserve their language and culture. Several missionaries learned Indigenous Australian languages and wrote primers and Bible translations which have helped preserve those languages.

• 3 weeks later...
I've never seen any written native language. Nev

Never looked at a map of Australia? :D It might be in the roman alphabet the English brought along, but a whole bunch of those place names aren't English!

Never looked at a map of Australia? :D It might be in the roman alphabet the English brought along, but a whole bunch of those place names aren't English!

But it's still only an English written version of a vocal language. There is no known written aboriginal language.

There were symbolic code marks ( as found on message sticks and some weapons ) which were used to convey simple meanings. They could not be rearranged and used to convey messages other than those attached to the primary symbol. But as their range was very limited and was open very much to the subjective interpretation of the viewer so they can't be called a written language.

Lots of symbolic figures in caves and other natural features exist . but they don't strictly make it as written languages because they are not translatable symbols which can be understood by a person who can read the "language". Rather they are more symbols whose meaning was in the mind of the drawer and observers are only left to guess what the writer had in mind.

• Like 1

There are art works in the Kimberleys, called Bradshaws I think. They are different from the usual aboriginal works and supposedly pre date them, but they are painted on rather than etched. More like stick figures and heads with haloes or helmets.

When you get down to it, English is not a native written form. It borrows from Latin for most of its letters... For a native English script you would have to go back to Celtic runes, which are in themselves, adaptations of Norse runes.

Ogham, the Irish tree runes are more native to the British Isles than what we now know as English.

There are art works in the Kimberleys, called Bradshaws I think. They are different from the usual aboriginal works and supposedly pre date them, but they are painted on rather than etched. More like stick figures and heads with haloes or helmets.

Have a pic somewhere of Bradshaw art that I took in a cave there a few years ago.

Showed a figure with Wellington boots and a pipe in his mouth, Could have been Captain Cook or earlier?

They didn't sign it!

Phil.

I took this under a rock shelter in the Kimberley in 2008. Haven't been able to read it.[ATTACH=full]36791[/ATTACH]

It's a family portrait, that's mum just left of center.