Hi, I've started my flight training

Nightmare

Hi there pilots, fellow Student pilots and enthusiasts. I've done a few posts here already but just realized I haven't said hi yet.

I started my flight training for an RA Certificate a couple of months ago. Doing it slowly, a lesson a fortnight as the money permits. Wish I could knock it over in a month or two as some here have done, but looks like at my current rate I should have my cert early next year. Where to from there? Not sure yet, one thing at a time but maybe buying into a local syndicate aircraft, we'll see.

I'm currently training with the guys at Fly Now Redcliffe in their Tecnam P92 Eaglet, developing my circuit skills. So far I have 7.3 hours in my log book and having the time of my life!

This forum so far has been very helpful and informative.

Cheers, Tony

• Like 5
  • Winner 1

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

welcome... and best regards with your training... I currently fly on average once a month... a very slow process. the upside is i find it gives me plenty of time to do my theory in between. I wish you all the best. maybe you post a pic of your little plane or any other photo would be nice... tc

• Like 2

Thanks everyone:thank you:. Hey David, did you go flying yesterday? I said gidday to someone called David who was having a lesson just after mine.

welcome... and best regards with your training... I currently fly on average once a month... a very slow process. the upside is i find it gives me plenty of time to do my theory in between. I wish you all the best. maybe you post a pic of your little plane or any other photo would be nice... tc

Once a month!!! that would kill me, two weeks is too long, and I still have heaps of time to study up compress.gif.fe2f1703f181408c4947cc1d378facee.gif1815603013_Photo30-06-1593354AM.jpg.d3cefd47985cccdff389e09f6fc73546.jpg I took this of the plane I'm training in just before my lesson two weeks ago, 24-7600. It's a Tecnam P92 Eaglet, I believe quite a few pilots here have flown this great little plane.

Thanks everyone:thank you:. Hey David, did you go flying yesterday? I said gidday to someone called David who was having a lesson just after mine.Once a month!!! that would kill me, two weeks is too long, and I still have heaps of time to study up compress.gif.fe2f1703f181408c4947cc1d378facee.gif

[ATTACH=full]36853[/ATTACH] I took this of the plane I'm training in just before my lesson two weeks ago, 24-7600. It's a Tecnam P92 Eaglet, I believe quite a few pilots here have flown this great little plane.

Yup I flew her when she was brand spanking new, well it had about 20 or 30 hours TT on it from memory.

Yup I flew her when she was brand spanking new, well it had about 20 or 30 hours TT on it from memory.

I think she's got around 3700 hours on her now, if my memory serves me well.

I did an hour of solo circuits last Friday morning in 7600. It was smooth air and as always she was great to fly.

I did circuits yesterday, it was a bit gusty but blowing in the right direction for runway 25 with no crosswind. Had to significantly reduce the throttle on downwind, I'd blink and we were past the runway... big tailwind.

I know that aircraft, its the one that can always been seen flying the 747 sized circuits, often turning base 07 somewhere near the bruce highway (or further out). I hope you are keeping tight circuits!!

No, that isn't 7600 doing the huge circuits, but I know there is at least one aircraft that does. I think their downwind leg is somewhere out near Beachmere. Makes life difficult for everyone else.

No, that isn't 7600 doing the huge circuits, but I know there is at least one aircraft that does. I think their downwind leg is somewhere out near Beachmere. Makes life difficult for everyone else.

Cool cool. I thought 7600 was it. It definnately a tecnam with RA rego. I'll make a mental note of the call sign next time I up there.

I know that aircraft, its the one that can always been seen flying the 747 sized circuits, often turning base 07 somewhere near the bruce highway (or further out). I hope you are keeping tight circuits!!

Not me, I'm still under instruction, and he points out all the ones not doing the circuits correctly. The only issue he seems to have with me is getting the landing right. I'm turning final just as I'm at 500' to 600'. The wind was blowing for Runway 25.Tony

People doing massive circuits jack us all off, but when people are learning, they have a busy work load when flying circuits and naturally their circuits get bigger. They get bigger because they are giving themselves more time in the circuit. Their circuits will tighten up with more experience.

• Agree 3

Well, it wasn't me, mine were tight. Took off at Runway 25 at best rate climb, 200' flaps up, turn right xwind at 500' head to the bulge in the mangroves, turn downwind and level off at 1000' at the bulge and aim for Scarborough Point. At 45 degrees to the end of the runway, turn base and start descent with flaps. Turn final at 600 or 500', and land, touch and go. I don't think I was more than 2 nm from the runway at any point. This was my routine for 55 minutes. My instructor was telling me when to commence my turns for most of the circuits, so I doubt it was me.

Tony.

Well, it wasn't me, mine were tight. Took off at Runway 25 at best rate climb, 200' flaps up, turn right xwind at 500' head to the bulge in the mangroves, turn downwind and level off at 1000' at the bulge and aim for Scarborough Point. At 45 degrees to the end of the runway, turn base and start descent with flaps. Turn final at 600 or 500', and land, touch and go. I don't think I was more than 2 nm from the runway at any point. This was my routine for 55 minutes. My instructor was telling me when to commence my turns for most of the circuits, so I doubt it was me.Tony.

It's all good Tony, nobody is saying it was you. Like I have said above, it can be annoying but it isn't a problem ( apart from their aircraft not being able to make the runway if they have a engine failure which would be embarrassing). I have seen this happen over the years and generally as low hour pilots get more experience, they will generally tighten up their circuits. Being a old ultralight pilot, we were taught to keep real close to the runway from day dot.

• Informative 1

We were taught glide approaches so you simply couldn't afford to go out to far or it would be a long walk home.

The first time I did a powered approach was went I went to a different school to try a low wing aircraft. All I could think of the whole time was if the fan stops now we are stuffed.

• Agree 1

Well, it wasn't me, mine were tight. Took off at Runway 25 at best rate climb, 200' flaps up, turn right xwind at 500' head to the bulge in the mangroves, turn downwind and level off at 1000' at the bulge and aim for Scarborough Point. At 45 degrees to the end of the runway, turn base and start descent with flaps. Turn final at 600 or 500', and land, touch and go. I don't think I was more than 2 nm from the runway at any point. This was my routine for 55 minutes. My instructor was telling me when to commence my turns for most of the circuits, so I doubt it was me.Tony.

I just went on google earth and checked a typical circuit I might fly in an RAAus aircraft such as a Jabiru or Sportstar at my local airfield. The furthest I go away from the middle of the runway was 1.1nm when turning base. This was a generous cct. I would suggest 2.2nm from the middle of the runway is a long, long way. If you lose 500 ft per minute at about 60 knots you won't make it back to the runway. How about others? Measure your cct distance on google earth using the ruler, what size ccts are people flying?

I still had to apply just a little power on part of the approach due to the big headwind and the sink over the mangroves just before the threshold. In case of engine failure, we would have retracted the flaps and glided in. Yesterday were my first touch and go's, Lesson before that were full stop circuits.

I just went on google earth and checked a typical circuit I might fly in an RAAus aircraft such as a Jabiru or Sportstar at my local airfield. The furthest I go away from the middle of the runway was 1.1nm when turning base. This was a generous cct. I would suggest 2.2nm from the middle of the runway is a long, long way. If you lose 500 ft per minute at about 60 knots you won't make it back to the runway. How about others? Measure your cct distance on google earth using the ruler, what size ccts are people flying?

The simplest way is to make sure your wing ( in a low wing aircraft) has the runway within one third of your span under the wing from the tip. In a high wing I have the runway one third up the wing strut. It is a bit hard to explain in words but doing his way, shows that that if further away from the strip, you will be higher above ground if you get the same "picture" from looking from your pilots seat. This sight picture doesnt work in a right hand circuit flying from the left hand seat.

• Agree 2