6 seater crash at lakeside today QLD

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've flown in a Cherokee 6 - three up - into and out of Tullamarine (in IFR, 500 foot ceiling both trips) and several bush strips on the way there/from north of Echuca - and underpowered, it is not - unless a Qantas Check Captain as PIC adds thrust.. A pretty benign aircraft with no discernible bad habits, though you need a bootful of rudder on takeoff.

Pilot error on this one.

I'm talking about a Piper Lance not a PA28-235. A lance is under powered, even with 300 GGs with 6 up on a short grass strip ... believe me, I with 5 others was close to death many years ago. Pull the power and they sink pretty fast. It is a strictly bitumen aircraft.

Guest ozzie

Watched a few fully loaded taxiing out, almost dragging their bum. Look slow to accelerate and once airborne one wonders just how much fuel they have to burn off before they can get a decent positive rate of climb.

Boom boom Kaz .....

Well, David, you and I both know there are those that do fly Austers and those that would if they had the skill!

How's life been? I've still got that wind generator waiting for you to visit and collect it.

Kaz

• Agree 1

Well, David, you and I both know there are those that do fly Austers and those that would if they had the skill!How's life been? I've still got that wind generator waiting for you to visit and collect it.

Kaz

I haven't forgotten M'dear. We have just got to catch up somewhere. Somewhere and me being the problem. It will happen one day. LOL

Is that what the wheels do when you slap it down?

Nah Turbs...it's a taildragger, not a trike. You have to pilot it all the way to the parking area.022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

Kaz

• Like 3

Austers can bounce badly on take -off. When I was first informed of that I thought it was a joke, but it isn't. Nev

Patented self-launching flexible gear designed to get the aircraft airborne quickly when departing rough ground...true 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif

Kaz

• Like 1

Nev, it depends on what you call fun. Every time I flew the old bird I enjoyed the challenge especially in gusting cross winds where you had your hands and feet working in all directions. Sometimes when attempting to land, it seems like they just don't want to stop flying.

• Like 1

So how would you two go in a Cherokee 6 with all that weight momentum, that long nose high in the air, coming downwind at high groundspeed, into an upsloping runway, and having to make your judgements by looking out of the left window? All that when you have some of the best brakes in the business.

Would you have landed downwind/upslope, or upwind downslope.

Guest Maj Millard
So how would you two go in a Cherokee 6 with all that weight momentum, that long nose high in the air, coming downwind at high groundspeed, into an upsloping runway, and having to make your judgements by looking out of the left window? All that when you have some of the best brakes in the business.Would you have landed downwind/upslope, or upwind downslope.

From talking to people who witnessed the accident, the approach was abnormal and different to what most would use at that strip, and that the pilots abilities ( or lack thereof ) significantly contributed to the accident, which I'm am told could well have been a lot worse had they exited the strip nearby to where they actually did. Quick assistance by an observer also probabily saved the lives of the rear passengers once the aircraft was in the dam. I'm told there was not a straight panel on the aircraft once it was removed and one wing is badly damaged. The Lakeside strip does have an uphill slope but it is not regarded as much out of the ordinary by those who use it (including myself ) on regular occasions. WX conditions at the time were ideal and probabily didn't contribute. This was not a planned ditching in the dam...but a bad loss of control on final and landing ( stall...hard landing).