6 seater crash at lakeside today QLD

Don,t know much details yet , but it looks like heavy landing and undercarriage failure and run off edge of runway and into small lake at the southern side of the airstrip one injured 4 escaped uninjured as far as i know.http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/plane-crashes-into-dam-near-lakeside-airpark-at-bloomsbury-on-whitsundays-coast/story-fnn8dlfs-122745764

• Informative 1

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A WITNESS said passengers were “very lucky” to escape their sinking light plane after it crashed into a dam on the Whitsundays coast.

The owner of Bloomsbury’s Lakeside Airpark Gary Poole said the Cherokee carrying six people crashed off the runway after it “had a hard landing and the pilot lost control”.

“The pilot said he felt more sink than usual,” Mr Poole said.

“It wound up in the dam and sunk within a few minutes,”

“They were very lucky there were no fatalities.”

Emergency services crews treated the six occupants on the scene while one woman is recovering from a back injury in Prosperpine Hospital.

Mr Poole said the plane was a write off.

Earlier

A light plane has crashed into a dam near a small airport on the Whitsundays coast.

According to emergency services the plane, which crashed around 3.50pm, was “fully submerged” in the body of water that marks the end of the runway at Lakeside Airpark in Bloomsbury.

The plane’s six passengers were able to get themselves out of the aircraft and wade to land where they were treated by paramedics.

Crews were unsure what caused the plane to crash into the water.

A QAS spokeswoman said one patient was taken to Prosperpine Hospital.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/plane-crashes-into-dam-near-lakeside-airpark-at-bloomsbury-on-whitsundays-coast/story-fnn8dlfs-1227457648389

More sink than usual????? ROFL:roflmao:008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif008_roflmao.gif.1e95c9eb792c8fd2890ba5ff06d4e15c.gif

Ok sorry, I shouldn't be laughing at things like this but SERIOUSLY give that guy a medal for best pun ever.

Probable cause of crash. New pilot to the strip, fisrt landing there local gosip has it. Downwind landing which is normal for the strip, ie up hill. Heavilly loaded, six pax onboard. Too slow over the fence, stalled droped a wing. Into the dam.

Just my thoughts as a long time local pilot using the lakeside strip.

Very glad that everone got out ok.

cheers Ian

• Agree 2
  • Informative 2

Downwind landing .. Normally one would expect to get a bit of airspeed increase due to wind gradient on approach. More likely the illusion of too high a (ground) speed would cause the pilot to slow up rather than use the more reliable indicated airspeed on the dial. Nev

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

Well I have to give ABC Breakfast the numb nuts award for reporting this one ... upper air pics from another aircraft of a SAPPHIRE ... bit hard to get 5-6 people into one of those.

At least it was not reported as a cessna :-/

• Haha 1

Guest Maj Millard
Well I have to give ABC Breakfast the numb nuts award for reporting this one ... upper air pics from another aircraft of a SAPPHIRE ... bit hard to get 5-6 people into one of those.At least it was not reported as a cessna :-/

Cherokee six would certainly throw them....this strip is not hard to get into but can require some judgement if wind blowing but sounds like it wasn't........

Huh? Is this just an automated response?

“It sounds as though it was a very well-executed ditch,” president David Booth told the ABC.

“The pilot sounds as though he has done a great job of safely landing the aircraft on the water and getting the passengers out.”

• Agree 1

The aircraft landed in the dam to the left of the strip after going through the fence between the strip and the dam. I believe it is now a "lance" version.

Note how I put the floats on when landing at lakeside, just in case. 075_amazon.gif.0882093f126abdba732f442cccc04585.gif

489939723_DSCN1843(2).jpg.3bdb2e65c755de07fecf8173e40d7be8.jpg

• Agree 1
  • Haha 5