Rex hits a Roo at Mildura

Bambi,. . .? I've personally not seen a "Diddy" size one, they must hide them in the bushes.

The one which killed a couple in a sports car with the roof down some years ago on the "Chase" ( it was sort of summer ) was quoted as being around 350 - 400 Lbs . . wotz that,, er, 2.2 Lbs per kilo innit, . . . anyway,. . . the result was Stag 2, Occupants of car, Nil. ( BTW the car was NOT a Triumph STAG - that really would have been a bit too ironic )

That bit of your story re an injured 'roo threshing about inside a car paints an horrible picture. . . I drove something called a "Blueprinted GTHO Phase 4 - 351"saloon car jobbie around Bathurst a long time ago,. . .my mate was a technician for some privateer, that was a really interesting experience. He said to me " You've got a pilot's licence, so you should be used to going fast. . . ." ( out of the mouths of babes ! ) Actually to be fair, the guy probably thought I was well wedged and could afford to pay my way out of any bingles, as he though I owned ( ! ) the Brand new C-182 that I'd taken him flying in a week previously at Dubbo.

I can imagine the horror of a competitive driver in a race, being presented with a Roo, at high speed. . . . . .

He was telling me some horror stories about the 'Roos" both on the track as well as on ordinary roads, but apart from weaving my van around a crapload of roadkill of varying descriptions on the Hume Highway on a night trip, I never had the pleasure of a close encounter of the bouncy kind myself.

Actually, I found that driving a tuned up road vehicle with rear wheel drive at high speeds was quite a good experience, and fortunately, I didn't bend it. But that was probably because I did the slowest lap record in the history of the track, and even then managed to spin it around on the second bendy bit. . . . what these roady people don't understand is that it's quite easy flying fastly in a straight line, although in the very early seventies, the fastest thing I'd flown was a PA32 six / 300. A whopping 125 Knotties, I could be exaggerating, as we might have been going downhill when I looked at the asi. ( always wondered why they didn't have dangly dunlops on that marque, would have gone a bit faster then. . . ( anyway this has got bugger all to do with Deer + Roos. . .( sorry ) Going to sod off to "OFF TOPIC" now and post some political stuff.

Phil.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ozzie

Driving out west one year i was warned of the higher than normal number of Emus in the area due to the effect of drought further north. Advised that if i hit one and it ended up coming through the windscreen and that was a good chance due to their long legs putting the body higher than the bonnet was to no matter how fast you were going to just exit the vehicle. They can quickly shred the interior with the long claws on their feet.

When we were out west hitting animals was a given and I used to get at least a couple every week. Bull bars were a must and were just taken for granted.

Emus tended to be the most stupid things I've seen. In a wide open flat paddock at least half of the emus, once they see you, will run flat out to intersect your path. It never stops amazing me, they run flat out sometimes for well over a k and generally cross the road less than 20 metres in front of you. It is like they are trying to race you. Hitting them in a four wheel drive is a non event (unless you are unlucky enough to get a foot through the radiator) they hit about as soft as sheep (don't ask!). In a car it would be a different matter altogether.

I found that travelling at 120kms an hour had you hitting less roos, basically it narrowed the window that you had to watch (the ones right out to the side didn't get in front of you quick enough) which helped immensely at night when your headlights don't see out to the side (led lightbars have helped immensely with this lately). Faster than 120 tended to get worse and of course if you did hit something it tried the bullbar out a bit more.

Speaking of lights, after a year or two out west I was traveling home well after dark between the properties sitting on around 110 (I had some 100watt driving lights but they were nothing special) when I came very close to disaster. All was going well and then the shadows at the end of my lights seemed to change and I just had enough time to steer off towards the smooth road in the table drain (the main road was a rough gravel and the table drains were used in dry weather to save tires, at night travelling on the gravel got you away from a few more roos) and then I had black cows going past on both sides. It scared me a lot, (the next day I invested in some HID driving lights and have used them ever since) spotting roos and other animals at night is relatively easy but black cows are just invisible and they have the horrible bad habit of resting on roads at night. The HIDs help no end to spot them and give you time to stop.

Now that we are back at Quirindi the bullbar doesn't get a huge workout with only visits down to the inlaws once a month or so but I still wouldn't be without one. They are the difference between getting stuck and getting home. Just two weeks ago the better half hit two roos in our commodore (it doesn't have a bullbar) which bent up the front end including busting the radiator and put it out of commission, if she had been in the cruiser she wouldn't have thought about it twice but instead she was stuck on the side of the road with one of our littlies waiting for a tow truck and a lift :-(.

Nobody this thread is about a plane hitting a roo so not altogether safer:wink:, our size planes don't fare as well as RPT size aircraft against roos and the like.

Birdstrike is always a risk. Not a issue for cars etc but a real problem on a bike.

A Galah into a bike helmet feels like been hit with a sledge hammer at 130kmh. I have painful memories, and the bugger leaves pink smear all over the visor.

I would hate to hit a big bird in the sky, even if it was thawed.

• Haha 1

A wedge tail will probably bring one of ours down. I've seen them back to the mainspar in a C-180. Nev

Have seen a wedgie cave in the leading edge of a T6-Texan,(Harvard), so far that the drag made it almost impossible to fly. Over the Darling scarp east of Perth - managed to get it back to Jandakot for repair. (PIC was a verrry experienced driver).

Yep, was asking for that one.

Still,. . . .driving at sixy miles per hour ? ? ? ? you bloody menace !037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif

I actually won a speeding ticket driving back from the Beenleigh Rum distillery at around Loganholme, to our place at Murrarie in 1982, . . this was the day before I re-emigrated back to freezing Britain ( forget the great bit, that was decades ago. . .)And NO,. . I hadn't been Rum Tasting. . .

I told the cop this after he had written it out, and he said, "Why didn't you tell me that before ?". . .I said " I didn't think you'd believe it. . ." he said . . "I wouldn't have. . . but stay away from Australia for a while mate " I swear this is true,. . .( Anyone know if there's a statute of limitations on speeding tickets. . .? I need to know this before coming home on vacation. . . . don't wish to get arrested at Eagle Farm and presented with an accumulated bill for about fifty grand. . . . )

Pelicans are the ones that scare me:yikes:

Having met a few in the air I agree.

Because of their size and weight I believe that they should be registered with RaAus and conform to our flying restrictions. 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Alan.

• Haha 3

Having met a few in the air I agree.Because of their size and weight I believe that they should be registered with RaAus and conform to our flying restrictions. 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Alan.

They wouldn't be the first birds to be registered, I hear there are quiet a few jabirus that are registered........albeit with extra restrictions to us........image.jpg.d422b07e48828d3f93b877f7de55e480.jpg

• Haha 3

Last I heard Phil they were introducing new laws so that they could extradite people who had fled overseas to avoid traffic fines............................

Really ? ? ? ? ? . . . well, if THEY pay the airfare,. . . I'll go with that mate. . .bad_mood.gif.04f799b8c2da677a1c244b54433f2aa7.gif

My Ford V6 Capri was a "Super Roo". Nev

Yes, I remember the "Super roo" Nev, I think it has an amusing logo sticker on each wing with a Kangaroo on wheels or something similar didn't it ?

In fact when I lived in Vermont, my mate Pete rang me and told me he'd bought one and I was impressed as he was in his sixties then.

When I saw him later in the week, I asked him where the Capri was,. . .and he pointed to the tiny SOO BAROO on the driveway. . . .