Rex hits a Roo at Mildura

From the Herald Sun

A MELBOURNE-bound passenger plane has hit a kangaroo after it strayed on to a runway at the regional airport in Victoria’s northwest.

The Rex Airlines flight ZL3653 had to be cancelled after it struck the animal in the initial stages of takeoff about 6.30am.

An airline spokeswoman said the kangaroo hit the 34-seater plane’s right propeller.

“Takeoff was rejected and the aircraft is still in Mildura,” the spokeswoman said.

She said none of the plane’s occupants were hurt.

Passengers were shifted on to alternative flights and have since all made it to Melbourne.

The spokeswoman said the Saab 340 twin-turboprop’s propeller was damaged in the collision, with engineers to assess the extent of the impact.

Mildura Airport is surrounded by fences, so it’s not known how the kangaroo made it on to the tarmac.

• Agree 1

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A kangaroo that gets through a fence, fair dinkum I've never heard of the like. Ok to be fair I haven't seen the fence at mildura so can't really judge but to be roo proof it would have to be good.

Most roos I've seen on a strip was at west Wyalong, hundreds of them on the cross strip.

Sounds like they are tough on you at mildura if you don't have an ASIC. This one got beheaded!

• Agree 1
  • Haha 3

Years ago I was a passenger in a car driving along a 6' fence out west at night. A roo jumped the fence and cleared the car. I was very drunk at the time, but the driver who was sober confirmed that it was not my imagination. There were also 2 passengers in the backseat who will also testify that I was not imagining it.

• Like 1

Mildura Airport is surrounded by fences, so it’s not known how the kangaroo made it on to the tarmac.

Hope he had his ASIC card with him, or he's gonna be in a lotta trouble 095_cops.gif.448479f256bea28624eb539f739279b9.gif

The Gestapo could have been checking airside, as usual!

Just as well it wasn't Cecil the lion, have to shut the airline down due to outrage.

Having shot poor old Cecil I believe the big brave dentist is now on the lookout for a trophy Gnu !

• Haha 3
  • More 1

Years ago I was a passenger in a car driving along a 6' fence out west at night. A roo jumped the fence and cleared the car. I was very drunk at the time, but the driver who was sober confirmed that it was not my imagination. There were also 2 passengers in the backseat who will also testify that I was not imagining it.

Three independent sober witnesses you say, . . . .OK, I guess we'll believe you then. . . . Dunno if you ever read an article claiming to be from Australasian Post, where a Roo allegedly, went throught the front windscreen of a Greyhound bus,. . .bounced down the aisle and exited through the rear window without injuring any of the passengers thereon. . . or was this another generic Bushman's tale cynically designed to fool us gullible Poms and thereby possibly reduce by fear the numbers of us wishing to migrate to the Lucky Country ?

• Haha 2

It was a Pom story, along with the other one about the driver who hit and badly injured a roo, so he took off his coat and put it around the roo which promptly recovered its sense and hopped off with his coat containing his wallet.

It was a Pom story, along with the other one about the driver who hit and badly injured a roo, so he took off his coat and put it around the roo which promptly recovered its sense and hopped off with his coat containing his wallet.

Must have been a good story, they made a movie out of it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRTWGtMulLA

Three independent sober witnesses you say, . . . .OK, I guess we'll believe you then. . . . Dunno if you ever read an article claiming to be from Australasian Post, where a Roo allegedly, went throught the front windscreen of a Greyhound bus,. . .bounced down the aisle and exited through the rear window without injuring any of the passengers thereon. . . or was this another generic Bushman's tale cynically designed to fool us gullible Poms and thereby possibly reduce by fear the numbers of us wishing to migrate to the Lucky Country ?

No that was a story to make Poms feel safer about coming and driving around Oz.

The reality is normally far more deadly.

As a child I would travel the Hay plains several times a year at night in the 70's. The average trip did involve either hitting a roo (in a bull barred bus) or seeing the results of a car hitting one. A bus hitting one was a big mess, the potential for a roo onboard was still real and a potential killer for the driver and hence all on board.

A car hitting one especially without a bull/roo bar was nearly always devastating. Some bounce off, some destroy the car if lucky. Often the car then would crash and you might survive. Others were truly tragic- all on board dead. A big roo through the screen will at best make a very painful mess. Once the roo apparently survived only to thrash about and kill all in the car, which then crashed. Coroner said they died from roo not the crash. This was 1978. I still have vivid memories of this after seeing the car at the police station- something you will never forget.

It is the low flying roo that can kill.

I remember my Uncle driving overnight from Hay to Goulburn on christmas day. He arrived late. A look at his Kingswood wagon with roo bar said it all. The bar was a mess, but the roo had clipped the bar and went straight into the screen/A pillar on the passenger side. The passenger side was full of blood, furr and dead bits of roo. I really doubt a passenger would have survived. My uncle was made of very stern stuff, I have never seen such a badly damaged car still be driven- shock I guess. He was covered in blood and his skin like a ghost.

We don't have Moose but we do have Roo's and Moose don't jump into your path.

As a motorcyclist, riding out west at night can be russian roulette. A rider I knew died hitting a roo. Another a cow- but they don't jump.

• Informative 1

Thanks for that story Sir. Interesting.

Where I now live, very close to a heavily timbered area called Cannock Chase, there are large herds of Deer, which have killed a number of drivers at night over the years, they tend to run into the middle of the road, and stop dead when they see the car headlights. . . . I've succesfully failed to hit a couple of them, purely by luck not judgement I should add. There is a 40 mph ( wozzat ? about 67 Km/hr ) speed limit in force everywhere on the chase, but most motorists don't take any notice, which is why they keep getting problems.

The deer have no natural predators in this part of the UK, some wag has suggested re - introducing wolves to balance the numbers naturally, but dunno if that's a good idea with parties of schoolkids and families, walkers and off road cyclists and campers all over the forest for most of the time in reasonable weather, so that idea has been shelved for now, but they are considering it in more rural areas of the UK, Forest of Dean is another, much bigger woodland area where the deer numbers are getting out of control also.

Bloke hit one on his Lambretta retro scooter just up the road from here a couple of weeks ago and survived, but with serious multiple injuries, this was an odd one as he was hit from the side apparently. Nothing on the news as he wasn't black, lesbian, muslim or transgender.

I expect bambie is a bigger risk over there.

My Brother and I used to run Mk111 Moto Guzzi's. His bike's previous owner meet a cow at Philip Island- side on. The bike was resurrected - the owner was not.

Occasionally you see a roo jump on the track at Bathurst, luckily small ones.