Signed up for Night VFR circuits

Night flying is a big, and sometimes scary (depending on how much equipment the aircraft has) step up from day flying. On a dark night I fail to see the deference between IMC if you are in sparsely populated country.

It is also one of the most fun and rewarding flying I've done on a good night. Full moon nights and a day either side are magnificent to say the least. Good on you for trying it out! It's good training even if you chose not to continue with it as, you will have a better idea of just what awaits should you "push" last light and come 2nd.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Yep, I've got to agree with Ben. Night flying around the cities is little different to day VFR. Turning base on a black night with no horizon and not a spec of light anywhere is a whole different ball game.

• Agree 2

Sounds like fun, its an introductory session to learn about Night VFR. Looking forward to it. Anyone done theirs?

Where are you doing this. Sounds like a great idea.

Where are you doing this. Sounds like a great idea.

Hey Col, its at Schoies', they're having one of their night circuits sessions; think they do it about once a month?

haha oh yes, that. I was just there the other day so someone mentioned it and i signed up - didn't see that hehe :)

i think there are some spots left on the 530 session

Wow... i wish i had a good camera. Stunning, PA. Used a tripod, I assume? i'd never be able to get a zoom shot that clear!

Yes I used a Tripod. The camera is a Nikon P900. If has GPS and WiFi too.

• Informative 1

Night flying is a big, and sometimes scary (depending on how much equipment the aircraft has) step up from day flying. On a dark night I fail to see the deference between IMC if you are in sparsely populated country.It is also one of the most fun and rewarding flying I've done on a good night. Full moon nights and a day either side are magnificent to say the least. Good on you for trying it out! It's good training even if you chose not to continue with it as, you will have a better idea of just what awaits should you "push" last light and come 2nd.

Spot on comments. Some of my most memorable flights have been at night. Night flying also carries risks and exposure to potential risks that any night flying pilot needs to be made aware of right from the start, and as training progresses competence and confidence needs to be acquired before you are let loose on your own. Sadly, the ATSB files contain too many examples of adverse outcomes.

An investment in the highest level of instruction possible should be an absolute priority.

Most of my training and flying occurred in the WA Wheatbelt, so take offs were invariably into a" black hole", and on a moonless night it was just black, black ......... I have always had reservations of night ratings being acquired where there is extensive ground lighting.

I recall the comment of my Instructor when I started my night training, for what was then a Class 4 Instrument Rating, rather than a NVFR: "A Class 4 Instrument Rating is not an Instrument Rating, but in order to achieve it you have to display a high level of proficiency of flying on instruments".

The skills and knowledge I have developed through night flying have served my overall flying experiences in a very beneficial manner.

Have fun flying after the sun has gone down!

• Like 1

Wow, what can I say... it was magical. Air was so cool and smooth, wind was variable/3kts. I was surprised, in the sea of lights that is Bankstown that the airport was far from the most obvious thing around.. in fact, on downwind it was very difficult to find the row of lights side-on against all the others. however, the rest of the circuits were a snap, especially turning base to final, and the landings were surprisingly better than I'd expected. Of course it is just an intro, and i'm well aware that I don't even know what I don't know (and I'm not even sure about that!), but I definitely plan to pursue it!!

999475510_Photo31-07-201563548pm.jpg.0d6dacccef470add27c2b5ad668b0b86.jpg

Can you spot the runway? Hint, I'm on early downwind, right-hand circuit.

• Like 3

I find it easier to just use google and steal everyone elses photos.

i'll PAY you to steal mine!!

(damn I wish I had that Nikon tonight... oh, and that I knew how to use it!)

• Like 1

Good on ya mate!! Well done, now if you find yourself up the Kimberley way, drop me a line and I'll show you what it looks like without all those pesky lights 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

• Like 2

haha yep, next time ask them to take you to Goulburn for some night circuits! or out to Cowra. no lights out there! if you do go to do your NVFR, see if the instructors will take you out west, on a moonless night..

how did you go with the 2 whites and 2 reds?

• Like 3

Haha one step at a time guys!! LOL :-)

yeah did OK with the PAPI, think i was a hair high the first couple. Actually, the very first circuit, tower called a go around on me. It was surprisingly busy still.

Good on ya mate!! Well done, now if you find yourself up the Kimberley way, drop me a line and I'll show you what it looks like without all those pesky lights 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

I would LOVE that~!

• Like 1

Night flying is magical, and I would have to say that flying into Melbourne at night was worth doing the whole course for, if nothing else. I try to start or finish as many flights as possible at night, because the experience is so different to day time flight. But, and it is a big but, I also have to fly at night regularly to remain current. Night flying carries a far higher risk, with a lot more potential for things to go wrong - both with the pilot and the aircraft. Ayavner's photo of Bankstown demonstrates how clearly defined the horizon is there. Even under the hood you get enough of a perception of what's around you, to not be fully without an horizon. When the view out of every window is the same as the TV turned off, it's a very different picture and feeling, and yes I've had the heart racing a couple of times as I turned onto base.

I demanded my instructor take me out on the blackest of nights as often as possible. On top of this, he insisted that I fly and land without landing or instrument lights for about 70% of the course. By comparison, flying over the cities is a cinch.

As a side issue, put your hand up if you've suffered the leans at night? I'll start. I have.

I remember doing night circuits at a country airport, when on one circuit as we turned base the runway disappeared as fog rolled in quite quickly, had to use opposite runway to land ASAP

One dark night in western nsw horizon could not be seen and lights on ground were no different than the stars. Definitely an instrument flight.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

What I'd really like to do is Harbour Scenic One at night. Damn I wish I had started this sooner :(

yes, that ise awesome, and if you leave late enough, YSSY will be closed, and you can fly over pretty much anywhere in the city.

the%20quay%20%281%20of%201%29-M.jpg

yssy%20int%20%281%20of%201%29-M.jpg

not only that, Australia day and New Years ever are fantastic from the harbour scenic at night. but for that, you need to plan and get a flight plan in early, and make sure you are NVFR, the Ifr guys have to be stacked off the coast.

• Like 1
  • Winner 1