Lead in AvGas

This morning I was grovelling under my wing draining tanks and managed to spill AvGas everywhere.

I've had fuel all over me before but now that I am no longer young and bulletproof I crawled out and went to wash it off. My hands and firearms were covered by a noticeable white film. I presume this is the TEL additive. If so, there's lot more lead in Low Lead AvGas than I thought.

Why are you keeping your firearms under your plane? You aren't mounting them under the wings are you?022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

I might have to reconsider mounting rockets to my wing tip:big gun:

• Haha 4

Why are you keeping your firearms under your plane? You aren't mounting them under the wings are you?022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

I might have to reconsider mounting rockets to my wing tip:big gun:

• 3 months later...

Just heard from a very respected source what that damned white stuff was; a very toxic chemical which is now added to AvGas to burn off the lead so it doesn't build up on places like valve stems.

We were always told not to get fuel on our skin but many of us were a bit sloppy and didn't really worry about the odd spill on the hands. This new stuff is said to be in a whole new league of nasty.

My father was a mechanic as I was to begin with and I have known many mechanics around the traps in my lifetime all all handled lead fuel, fumes and exhaust on a daily basis over their lifetimes.

No effects that I can see, never knew any of them to have cancer etc, although I read once that the lead attacks a part of your brain that can make you a bit aggressive, that symptom I have seen many a time but in reality I don't know if that's the actual side affect or just working on frustrating cars and dealing with many idiot owners over the years.

• Agree 1

I would like to add old/waste engine oil is a suspected carcinogen.

Always wear some gloves when changing your oil or cutting up filters.

I buy the latex ones in a box of 500 and go through a few pairs when doing an oil/filter change.

I now habitually use them when dealing with most chemicals, cutting fluids and lubricants, new or old.

• Agree 1

100 LL AvGas is a euphemism. It actually contains 0.56 grams/litre of TEL.

100/130 contains twice as much TEL per litre and11/145 a massive 1.29 grams/litre.

So the LL refers to low compared with other AvGas not low compared with the old Super mogas which had 0.15 grams/litre of Tetraethyl Lead.

And to think we used to siphon that stuff by sucking on the end of a hose!

Combine that with our youthful drinking patterns and it's a wonder we have any brain cells left at all.

• Haha 2

It has a bromine compound in it to stop the lead building up. THAT is what causes the white in the exhaust of avgas operated engines. Makes it easy to pick if you are looking. Bromine chlorine iodine fluorine are all similarly active elements chemically and bad for humans, and other living things.. Nev

It has a bromine compound in it to stop the lead building up. THAT is what causes the white in the exhaust of avgas operated engines. Makes it easy to pick if you are looking. Bromine chlorine iodine fluorine are all similarly active elements chemically and bad for humans, and other living things.. Nev

Chlorine - used for sterilising and disinfecting water - like urine in the local swimming pool and causing green hair - no probs

Iodine - a disinfectant - also used for making Nitrogen tri-iodide, great for school doorknobs

Fluorine - our teeth were really crappy before it was added to water.

Bromine - not sure about this but heard it was added to soldiers food to de-randify them.

There are of course the naysayers but in suitably quantities these improve life in general and save many lives. Anything in excess causes all sorts of problems - politics, bread, grog, sunshine and the list goes on.

You didn't read it carefully enough Col. In elemental form they are lethal. Previously used, Some Bromine compounds are now banned from soil sterilisation. Chlorine gas is being used currently in the middle east to kill people. fluoride (compound) is ok as a trace and occurs in nature, but above small concentrations will affect bone strength and mottles teeth.

These four elements are known as halides (There's one other)and are extremely chemically active and many compounds are DNA altering and cancer risk (carcinogens). Nev

。。many compounds are DNA altering and cancer risk (carcinogens). Nev

.. and yet with this, and all the processed foods yada yada, every generation lives longer, grows taller and stronger.

I reckon stressing over this sort of stuff is far more damaging than the products themselves.

• Agree 2

You didn't read it carefully enough Col. In elemental form they are lethal. Previously used, Some Bromine compounds are now banned from soil sterilisation. Chlorine gas is being used currently in the middle east to kill people. fluoride (compound) is ok as a trace and occurs in nature, but above small concentrations will affect bone strength and mottles teeth.These four elements are known as halides (There's one other)and are extremely chemically active and many compounds are DNA altering and cancer risk (carcinogens). Nev

Everything in moderation - in small quantities, halides (halogen compounds) have demonstrated beneficial therapeutic effects.

Those who say so neglect a lot of significant factors. Drugs have side effects. Genetic damage will catch up to us and have a significant effect. Pandemics lurk at any time and lifestyle factors also costing big bucks in RICH societies. Nev

Not to mention the problems with our overuse of anti biotics, which is causing massive infection problems. All those big hospitals, costing mega bucks and built of solid materials capable of harbouring bugs forever are having a bad affect on infection. My granddaughter just had keyhole surgery on her spine. now she has Staph infection. I just don't trust those medical proffessionals.