Welcoming Wilcannia

ev17ifly2

Hold on a minute, there ARE some nice humans in Wilcannia and I spoke to one yesterday. His name is Bill Elliott and he is a pilot. Bill has the unenviable task of promoting tourism in the Wilcannia district. "If only you had called me, I would have brought the ute out". He knew exactly what we had run into when we landed and that there were a number of businesses in the town which made the task of promoting tourism hard.

He is a great bloke, his details can be found on the Wilcannia Tourism web site

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1
  • Informative 1

Yes. Many years ago I saw photos taken in the early 1900s of a large number of humongous Murray Cod lying side by side on the banks of the Darling at Wilcannia. They were seriously big fish.

The paddle steamers with their wool barges used to get up into Queensland in good years. Since then we have allowed massive water diversions to the point where the river now is often less than a trickle.

It's to the great shame of the Commonwealth that they didn't purchase Cubby Station and its water and put it back into the river so those many stations and communities downstream could survive. Instead we let the Chinese have it for a song!

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/cubbie-goes-to-china-for-a-steal/story-e6frg8zx-1226562159297

Kaz

• Agree 2

My uncle and dad used to catch Murray Cod in the range 10-90 pounds. Biggest one I pulled in was 18 pounds. The heads were put on top of the dog kennel, where they became skulls, but seriously big. Mainly caught on illegal springers and cross lines, using yabbies and frogs.

I'm unlikely to subscribe to the Australian Kaz, but in the time I've been flying over this continent, Ive have witnessed constant tree removal and denudation of the place. A bit over 200 years and pretty well mucked up. Salinity and using rivers as sewers has made it not fit to drink or swim in really. Nev

• Agree 3

...The paddle steamers with their wool barges used to get up into Queensland in good years...

Kaz

Mark Twain visited Australia and was impressed by our paddle steamer history. A few rusting wrecks are still to be found far from today's muddy trickles. Different times.

• Agree 2

A word of warning for pilots heading Outback and planning on a stop at Wilcannia for fuel.As part of our plan we landed at Wilcannia last week to fuel up before heading for White Cliffs.

The Evector Harmony landed first and The pilot phoned the local BP to enquire about fuel. He was advised that Avgas is only sold by the drum and anyway they don't have any, so the availability of Mogas was the fall back and would it be possible to arrange to have some brought out to the strip or could we get a lift into town.

It was made very clear that we were prepared to pay for any service provided. "Mate, we are not a bloody taxi service" was the reply. I was the pilot of the second aircraft and managed to get a lift into town thanks to a friendly council worker who was mowing the strip, because without fuel I was going no where.

Arriving at the BP with a jerry I attempted to fill from the bowser only to have the nozzle snatched from me by the owners son and told to "f.ck off, you're the bastards from out at the strip"

Fortunately there is one other servo in Wilcannia all be it with only 91, so that is what I filled with.

So be warned that if you are unfortunate enough to land here country hospitality is sadly lacking

PS. If you think it may just be us, the towns of Ivanhoe and Hillston went out of their way to help us fuel up. One nice bloke even loaned us his ute.

Get on to ACCC they can not refuse selling fuel,, Called Restricting Trade,, some one in a small town can not have that hanging over their head.

Regards,

KP.

• Like 1

I & wife'y often take a drive to the Murry to ride the paddle= wheeler s, Favorite "EmmiLou" .

this weekend was Melbourne, Phillip Island, FortNepean and "William Ricketts sanctuary" in Mt Dandenong.

Almost had to ring IAN, as the motel double booked our room, but they sorted it.

spacesailor