Lyndons Savannah VG Thread

Lyndon

Honestly every person who has built a kit (including myself) has sworn there's something missing, only, embarassingly, to find it later on down the track.

Here here been there done that swearing blind I was missing stuff....the only thing I had and most others had was just not enough rivets supplied but there are all the rivets inc the countersunk type..you just cant see them yet

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did get short of countersunk rivets and found that by drilling 5/32" through a block of steel then drilling part way through with a larger drill I had a die to hammer regular rivets into with a dolly to make them counter sunk for the last few. They did need a rub around the edges on the grinder to take the frilly bits off.

• Helpful 1

Rivet advice. I have bought some longer a4 rivets. They are plain without the center grab section. See left rivet. Kit a4 is in the middle and kit a5 on the right. I have asked one person who said they Will be fine. But before I get riveting I need a hug and someone else to tell me these are fine to use on my aircraft. ??? Thoughts

Thanks Lyndon

1446448154621-6746439.jpg.b6e9c7bef20c08906401196df345edaa.jpg

Rivet advice. I have bought some longer a4 rivets. They are plain without the center grab section. See left rivet. Kit a4 is in the middle and kit a5 on the right. I have asked one person who said they Will be fine. But before I get riveting I need a hug and someone else to tell me these are fine to use on my aircraft. ??? ThoughtsThanks Lyndon

No hugs here.

Where are you intending to use them?

• Haha 1

I agree with Rank, useless. That area cops a lot of stress in a hard landing situation. Better use the spec rivets or A5 instead.

Yes, why risk it. Do you think Reg from Aerokits will have a bunch of proper rivets? Maybe he can courier you some and you'll have it by Wednesday or Thursday.

Yes, why risk it. Do you think Reg from Aerokits will have a bunch of proper rivets? Maybe he can courier you some and you'll have it by Wednesday or Thursday.

He has boxes of everything over there. Only way to find out is ask him!

No mean feat getting those rivets in Adelaide. But I found a place. Now my car has decided to play up. Next week onto it again more rivets.Lyndon

Buy a few extra rivets and you can use it to tighten that loose guard on the car too.

I'm running my trim wiring in the fuse prior to final riveting. I'm thinking it comes out the top of the top skin under the the little cover that is front of the fin. I have some dimensions but no instructions. From there I will run it to the battery ??

Lyndon

1446673870266-6746439.jpg.4e42350d352387d8733de939a0385c26.jpg

I'm running my trim wiring in the fuse prior to final riveting. I'm thinking it comes out the top of the top skin under the the little cover that is front of the fin. I have some dimensions but no instructions. From there I will run it to the battery ??Lyndon

No, run it down the left side of the fuse, under the left seat, up the left side of the cabin footwell, to the back left side or the instrument panel where it should joyfully meet with the trim switch and indicator.

On the floor ??? Main concern is it comes out through the hole in the top skin where an elevator cable comes out. What to get my length right

just have it 50mm or so out the top of the fuse at the back to connect to the cable coming out of the stab, run it (through grommets in the fuse frames) sort of diagonally a bit till you get to the bottom. Make sure you have it the right way round or you will be swearing alot later.

• Helpful 1