Lyndons Savannah VG Thread

Lyndon

No worries. Makes sense. Main concern is its clecoed up and some holes that I'm not using yet do over lap a bit. It's one of the very few bits that once are are joined you really can't get it wrong. I'm presuming they just weren't stamped quite perfect.

Lyndon

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm mounting the four plates that reinforces the cowling mounts. The manual is just mumbo jumbo. I use the black rivets but where and why. Then it says use soft rivets but does not make sense where or why.

Lyndon

I'm pretty sure it doesn't say to use the black rivets (you found them huh???)

It uses A5 (your normal bigger rivet) where the holes line up with the firewall, and soft squeezed rivets at the front in the smaller holes. you may not even need the small rivets, they are just to hold the corners down because of the curve of the firewall.

What's not in the manual is that you can put the plates on the outside if you are putting the cowl inside, and you put the plates inside if you are having the cowl mounted outside. If you are having trouble now you are really going to cry when putting on the cowl, inside or outside??? 086_gaah.gif.afc514336d60d84c9b8d73d18c3ca02d.gif

• Like 1

Would make sense to put it on the outside surely for air flow

You're not building an RV here, dont worry too much about airflow.

Most builders put it (the cowl) on the outside for ease of removing cowl to check the motor.

Factory ones come with the cowl inside and the manual says put it inside. You figure whats best.

Putting the plates on the inside is a bit the same because the skins on the front fuselage then have to stretch over them where they weren't designed for. Next time they design a plane they do it the right way in the first place now that the VNE is 124kts.

Well if it's designed to be inside then that's what it will be .Thanks Lyndon

Good for you!

Well if it's designed to be inside then that's what it will be .Thanks Lyndon

But why would go on the inside when many Savannah builders and owners, with a collective wealth of experience, all state it is better on the outside?

Wing distance ????. 728 plus or minus 1mm. Measure from where. The front mount has two lugs and guessing the wing locates in the center. Distance between the front and rear lug. Or center of both. I only want to drill these once. Yep I want the wing to fit first time. Advice ????

Thanks Lyndon

1449289160672-960255829.jpg.4ef583adb50f430e8fccfa3ada3768b4.jpg

1449289186330-1982072656.jpg.264753b2976cca33fa239a0e94365760.jpg

I'm using the factory template. Happy with the diagonal on top. But the legs look to long and are not parallel with the row of rivets. By the manual at this stage it looks only the top is riveted.

Wing distance ????. 728 plus or minus 1mm. Measure from where. The front mount has two lugs and guessing the wing locates in the center. Distance between the front and rear lug. Or center of both. I only want to drill these once. Yep I want the wing to fit first time. Advice ????Thanks Lyndon

Nobody knows where that distance is measured. Dont worry, if you mounted the frame up with the jig in the correct holes then it will fit. The important bit is the diagonals on top must be equal before drilling. If the vertical legs are long and foul with the extrusion from the cabin side its ok to trim enough to fit and no more.

Its harder to get the first hole in the vertical leg because you have the jig clecoed on but you will get it.

• 2 weeks later...

Taking a break from construction and doing what I really like.

My thoughts on the Rotax 912 . First I wish the Japanese built one but anyway we will have to put up with Austrian engines for now.

2010 or 2011 not quite sure. 1740 hrs and it's mine.

Pulled it apart and first impressions are it's made so simple and easy to work on. Not all orings seal perfectly which is normal for a European engine thus it's not as oil tight as is should be. Cooling system has quite a few leaks. Yep it's not Japanese. Inside the cooling system is perfect. Nil corrosion. Inside the engine is also very good. No sludge but at oil change intervals and how it's used I would expect better. The lifters are worn. I blame the oil for this. The oil rings are badly carboned up as is the heads and piston crowns. Bore pistons rockers valve seats guides etc show virtually no wear at all. The cam is fine upon initial inspection and will go around again. The front reduction unit is also perfect. Inlet valves are perfect and the exhaust have some marking but are now fine after a very light lap. Overall if this engine had better oil it would be only just run in at these hrs. The carbs also look perfect albeit very dirty etc. The oil pump is also like new. IMAG4438.jpg.db22862505d29842d03ee90a06fde4ca.jpg So lifters. Valve stem seals. Maybe a light home. Valves lapped. Some oil control rings new gaskets and seals and would be very disappointed if it didn't do those hrs again.

LyndonIMAG4438.jpg.db22862505d29842d03ee90a06fde4ca.jpg

IMAG4439.jpg.d0b7c2f6cf3fa80873e5363b10fbd0c6.jpg

IMAG4440.jpg.265f28fe3ae0f10c798381a69932781f.jpg

IMAG4441.jpg.4704e76cd17093484faf07510fb40e31.jpg

I see you are doing the cabin frame. Be very careful with that you can really stuff it up if you do not measure diagonally across it and get it within 1 mm or less otherwise you will be putting addon trim tabs on a aileron to stop the roll. Lots of guys have stuffed this part up.