Hi from B.C. Canada

Kamloops

Hello everyone.

I am shopping to see what will be my next airplane, so joined to gather information on them.

As my needs have changed, so has what I want to fly changed.

I am leaning towards a new Cessna 182, but not 100% sure yet.

Thanks for letting me be a part of your group.

You won't fall off. A real holiday here would have to be well planned and take a while. Canada and Australia have a lot in common. You won't have any trouble fitting in here. There might be a book somewhere on Aussie Slang that might help. The C-182 has always been a very nice plane. Look after the nose strut and otherwise it's pretty useful plane to go most places, safely. Nev

• Like 1

Thanks Dazza.Been reading for a while, and felt it was time to join.

Some day I want to holiday in Australia.

But so far I have not made it down there.

My missus and I spent nearly 5 weeks touring Canada in 2014. Lovely country.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing that.Yes it is nice here.

I like traveling and seeing new things.

Did you get to BC?

Yes mate, we flew into Vancouver then we toured up to Whistler, and the surrounding area. We actually went to Vancouver 3 times. We spent a few days in Vancouver, then took a ship from there up the inside passage then ended back in Seattle. Then we bussed it back to Vancouver to start a tour going right across Canada, from west to east, all the way to Toronto.

Then we flew back to Vancouver for a few days before flying back to Australia.

• Like 1

Canada is such a beautiful place although I didnt get a chance to do any local flying while I was working there. Did a lot of flying in "puddle jumpers" going from place to place, I got to live and work in weird and wonderful places like Thunder Bay, Medicine Hat, Regina, Calgary and of course the larger places like Toronto, Ottawa and Vancouver. But how do you survive the cold there..when I was working in Thunder Bay a few times it was always in winter...-21deg C with a windchill of -32 deg C...bbrrrr I had to buy all new clothes as our winter gear does not survive that sort of cold. Nightlife is not that flash though in Ontario all clubs have to be shut by 1am :(

It does get cold in the winter, but hot as heck in the summer.

I specifically moved to Kamloops because it is warm and dry.

This area is semi arid desert and ranges from a low of about -15c for a few days in the winter, up to plus 42c for weeks in the summer, and lots of blue sky and sunshine.

The climate in Kamloops is some of the mildest you will anywhere in Canada.

Actually never worked there in summer only ever autumn winter and spring. The trees freaked me out they all turn into sticks in winter...they go naked..massive different colours though in spring and autumn...very pretty we dont have any trees that are desidiuos like that here

• Like 1

BC was great when I went there about 30 years ago, but the winter would be too much. I was going to emigrate from England to Canada, had the boat booked but along came our first child and scuttled that, so 3 years later I became a ten pound pom. No regrets. If you are coming here, let us all know when and where.

• Like 1

G'day Kamloops, and welcome. I grew up in Calgary, got my PPL in Penhold AB in the mid 70's. I hated the winters there, and have adopted Melbourne as my home since 1980. I can verify you'll have a good time down under. Aussies and Canuks just seem to blend in automatically. Flying here is good too... Not many mountains to bump into, but plenty of unique scenery - well worth the trip! Happy flying

• Like 1

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

When I do come down I will fly there on a commercial airline.

So may look into renting a plane for a bit to fly around and see some of it.

This winter is Central America.

Next winter is Chile and much more of South America.

So maybe I should plan to head there in 3 winters from now.....or I guess 3 summers from now since it would be summer there when I go.

• Like 1

It does get cold in the winter, but hot as heck in the summer.I specifically moved to Kamloops because it is warm and dry.

This area is semi arid desert and ranges from a low of about -15c for a few days in the winter, up to plus 42c for weeks in the summer, and lots of blue sky and sunshine.

The climate in Kamloops is some of the mildest you will anywhere in Canada.

098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif Kamlooks

037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif-15C to 42C is the mildest anywhere in Canada?

I was in BC a few years back, working in Vancouver and Chilliwack. That was in July and the weather was lovely. But, when I saw the size of the boilers (for home heating) in people's basements, I knew that this can be a cold place away from summer.

I hope you'll enjoy your time in the Forum.

• Like 1

I am curious, does this forum have a section by aircraft make and or model?I don't see any, but am bad at finding stuff online.

Hi Kamloops and welcome to the site.

Click menu up in top left corner, then click forums, move down page below "general forums". Towards the bottom you will see about 20 ultralight specific types and a bit further down there are some GA types.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Mike.

• Like 1