Looks like a Jab came down in the UK

No worries mate,. . . . a full stop, new sentence and a media word edit would solve all that confuscation. . . .

A spokesman for Sandtoft Airfield confirmed an aircraft had landed short of the runway on a track and that two people were injured.

The wreckage was removed.

See ?. . .FIFY.

Got to giggle a bit about the reported injuries though - more media feckwittery

" One man recieved back injuries, whereas the other man had injuries to his spine. . . . ."

Priceless. . . .

No worries mate,. . . . a full stop, new sentence and a media word edit would solve all that confuscation. . . .A spokesman for Sandtoft Airfield confirmed an aircraft had landed short of the runway on a track and that two people were injured.

The wreckage was removed.

See ?. . .FIFY.

That is to hard :)

• Haha 1

Sorry about the added bit on the end which clashed with your response Rob,. . . I lost me darned Wifi for a minute or so. . . . I'm operating in a hangar office around 30 metres away from the router. . . .kasper the friendly ghost must have blocked the signal briefly. . .( Im all on meself by me own tonite and it's . . .well,. . .frankly a bit scary. . . . . .woo hoo. . . .)

And you would pass about 15 pubs in that distance. Makes it a few days drive. Nev

What ? ? ? ? ? with the price of a pint of cold lager hovering around £3.65 in most pubs ? ? ? couldn't afford it on a pension Nev. . . . . .happy I don't live in Dublin,. . .the home of the famous GUINNESS brew . . . . . .eleven Euros and eighty cents a pint I believe is the going rate for that stuff . . . . my uncle Paddy is probably revolving in his grave about that one. . .! ( last time I looked, 1 Euro equalled £0.74 )

I heard about this three hours after it occurred, and deliberately didn't say anything on here as there had been a lot of Jab Bashing going on ( ! )

there are no jab bashers on this forum Phil, the same way you aren't a muslim basher. 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

. . . . I heard about this ............ and deliberately didn't say anything on here as there had been a lot of Jab Bashing going on ( ! )

What? Here? Go on! Git away!

On a side note it's pretty obvious, after forensically reviewing the video in Kaspers post #1, that the pilot had the poor thing overloaded to blazes what with the pallet load of cement bags and the bulker bag full of heaven knows what. That and all the other things noted by pmcarthy and the poor wee thing would have glided like one of those bags of cement.003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

• Agree 1

No, no, no ... the wings clearly abandoned the sinking Jabiru - pure survival instinct 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Rats....

If we want to be technically correct, weight doesn't affect glide angle L/D determines that. You just go faster. That's why you carry ballast in a glider. Nev

Aha, Nev, you're thinking: water ballast. But Jabs don't do that, though some Gazelles do...

A fully ballasted glider is an amazing beast. John Rowe took me for a familiarisation flight in a Janus with full ballast; on a strong-lift day, it went up pretty damn well, but when we turned for home, he had me simulate a final glide over the strip at 130 kts (very nearly VNE) and about flare height ( well, he WAS the CFI, so he was, I guess, allowed some liberties). Down past the flight line point at about 10 feet, he politely said 'my aircraft', and pulled it up into a very, very steep climb (like, maybe 70 degrees!) dumping the ballast, rolled off the top at circuit height, we landed quite normally.

Not so long ago, Nigel Arnott did a display in his Fox aerobatic glider at Bundaberg Gliding Club day. Ian Bent - a fair aerobatic pilot himself - was gobsmacked when Arnott came in on final doing an aileron roll, then pulled it vertical and did an 8-point vertical hesitation roll before rolling off the top to enter the circuit for his landing.

This is not that flight, but one on the same day, I believe:

Despite the proclamation of some, it isn't the engine that keeps you flying...

• Like 2

What? Here? Go on! Git away!On a side note it's pretty obvious, after forensically reviewing the video in Kaspers post #1, that the pilot had the poor thing overloaded to blazes what with the pallet load of cement bags and the bulker bag full of heaven knows what. That and all the other things noted by pmcarthy and the poor wee thing would have glided like one of those bags of cement.003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

Likewise, I examined the evidence, and I come to the following conclusions:

1) the thing must have been grossly over MTOW with 2 Pax and the cement and bulker bag;

2) the bulker bag does not appear to have aerodynamic aids, so cannot be considered to be a 'towed' object, and

3) it obviously had a dog kennel attached. Since I have a problem of transporting my large dog in my small Jabiru, it would be useful to know if this was a UK LAA-approved mod. ( which perhaps I can adopt), or was it a rogue adaption relying on string and velcro? I don't want to be caught in a ramp-check by CASA asking 'and what's that Dog Kennel strapped to the top, sir? Do you have an EO for that? Is your POH up-to-date for Dog Kennels?' It's hard enough trying to fold and gaffer-tape a 40-kg. dog as it is for flight, without having the Plods pushing their noses in.

Sorry about the added bit on the end which clashed with your response Rob,. . . I lost me darned Wifi for a minute or so. . . . I'm operating in a hangar office around 30 metres away from the router. . . .kasper the friendly ghost must have blocked the signal briefly. . .( Im all on meself by me own tonite and it's . . .well,. . .frankly a bit scary. . . . . .woo hoo. . . .)

I should call you Kevin McCallister because I bet you would get up to mischief like him in home alone if you were left home alone! 007_rofl.gif.8af89c0b42f3963e93a968664723a160.gif

• Caution 1

As to Back vs Spinal.

The mention Back went by Ambulance, while Spinal went by Air Ambulance.

I would make the wild guess that the Back guy got gouged externally by some scrap while the Spinal guy had internal injuries.

Different priorities. Get one to the surgeons fast and fix those vertabrae in place, while the other can make do with some iodine and a bandaid until a nurse has a bit of free time to thread a needle.

As to Back vs Spinal.The mention Back went by Ambulance, while Spinal went by Air Ambulance.

I would make the wild guess that the Back guy got gouged externally by some scrap while the Spinal guy had internal injuries.

Different priorities. Get one to the surgeons fast and fix those vertabrae in place, while the other can make do with some iodine and a bandaid until a nurse has a bit of free time to thread a needle.

Quite probably right there Kiwi. . . . although when my mate Mad Mitch stalled his Rans S10 at 350 ft. on climbout following engine stop,. . and tried a turnback, resulting in a beautifully executed stall and spin vertically into the grass,.. . . HIS injuries were more serious than Mandy, his Missis,. . .but the Air Ambo took HER as it only had room for one casualty and she was better looking.

Mitch had a broken ankle and lower leg injuries, compounded by a friendly firefighter stepping on it,. . . and the Mrs had a small cut on her earlobe, where an ear ring had been ripped out ( ouch ) To be fair, the aerodoc had a good look at our groundabatic pilot, and said, "You'll live" and he decided to send the Mrs in the helicopter as he wasn't sure if she was bleeding from inside her ear. . .probably a good call in the circ. Poor Mitch had to get bumped along the country lanes in the ground meat wagon. . . . All in all, quite an exciting end to a lovely summer's day flying. . . .

( Deduced cause of engine failure was carby ice. Aircraft had been parked up warm for around 40 minutes on grass where dew was beginning to visually form, late afternoon, and no problem could be found with the fuel or carb on inspection. Fortunately, the Rans S10 fuselage frame is built like a brick outhouse with excellent crew harnesses. . . and there was very little, if any, internal cockpit deformation. Deduced cause of accident ?. . .Failure to choose a landing straight ahead into a clear, flat field Mitch's own words .)

there are no jab bashers on this forum Phil, the same way you aren't a muslim basher. 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Muslim basher ?. . .ME ? ? ? Naw, . . .but I do bash silly clothing worn by ANY culture. ( just a personal preference )

1105847929_CYLONBurkha.gif.5f6ad2e8dda14fcd5359d847bc5d1a21.gif Burkhastar Galactica . . .?

Hazard.jpg.7ec12528b28e0c8401e5cb502cccbbda.jpg School Crossing safety . . .?

• 074_stirrer.gif.5dad7b21c959cf11ea13e4267b2e9bc0.gif

SORRY ! .099_off_topic.gif.20188a5321221476a2fad1197804b380.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

You are funny Phil!

Now then Mr. Gnu. . . . where the heck did you find a picture of an Afghan Pashtun tribesman WEARING A SUIT, + COLLAR AND TIE ? ? ? ?

( And please don't tell me his name was . . . "The Accused" . . .I've heard that one. . . .

In other news,. . . Burkha clad ladies celebrated in Jeddah yesterday after a Female member of the Saudi assembly was actually elected for the first time. They were shown on the BBC taking Eye selfie pictures with their eyephones. . . . .

Next year they are hoping to be allowed to vote for permission go in the passenger seat of a car. . . . .

TOPIC GNU. . . . . . J A B I R U ?

Actually, I was referring to the thread topic, but never mind,. . .we just had another engine theft from a UK airfield,. . .one new Jabiru engine, and Prop,. . .and also two Rotax 912S engines, complete with what were described as "Constant Speed" propellers . . .I did not know that Rotax actually had a CS prop variant, but I stand corrected if there is one,. . .they had electrically variable pitch props,. . .perhaps that is what was meant in the story. . . . we had three complete Rotax 912S engines surgically removed from hangared aircraft at our airfield around three years ago,. . .and it appears that the same gang have struck again. . .very careful removal of the engines from aircraft, with little or no damage otherwise. . .very well experienced / informed thieves.

I just wish that, when people buy engines and spares for same that they would just check a little more carefully the serial numbers, but perhaps this is expecting too much when the cost of these engines is so high. . .I am not alone in assuming that these engines are now out of the country and destined for Eastern Europe, where there is very little oversight with reagard to LSA flight anyway, and they could be sold for a lot of cash. . . .

A 76 year old ex-RAF pilot had his 912S stolen amongst the above 3 years ago, and for some reason, his insurance company would not pay out. . .so He had to give up flying. . .as he could not afford a replacement powerplant on his RAF / state pension. . .£13,000 is a lot of money to a pensioner, who served his country and got let down like all the rest of the servicemen in this once great land. . ..thieves do not give a toss about the pain they cause to the victims. and the barstards never seem to get brought to book for it either. . . both his, and our airfields are located right next to a national motorway, which would mean that the stuff could be on a cross channel ferry / eurostar tunnel train, and out of the country within less than three hours. . . . what chance would the plod have even if the theft was immediately reported ?. . .with policing nowadays, they pop around to see you within seven days sometimes,. . . and don't now investigate domestic burglary at all. . . .and even if they did,. . they NEVER shared information between counties. . .bloody politically correct bunch of useless politically bent pillocks the lot of them.

Very sad.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Phil - I read your post above with interest about a Jab engine being stolen from a UK airfield. I saw this ad on craiglist just the other day for a new 3300 engine and thought it was a bit weird. After just reading your post I thought maybe it could be the stolen engine you mentioned in your post. I have sent you the link. Maybe it is worth having a look in to to see if they can be caught. Just seems a bit too coincidental and seems to add up.

http://london.craigslist.co.uk/ptd/5372186472.html

Hi Phil - I read your post above with interest about a Jab engine being stolen from a UK airfield. I saw this ad on craiglist just the other day for a new 3300 engine and thought it was a bit weird. After just reading your post I thought maybe it could be the stolen engine you mentioned in your post. I have sent you the link. Maybe it is worth having a look in to to see if they can be caught. Just seems a bit too coincidental and seems to add up.http://london.craigslist.co.uk/ptd/5372186472.html

Thanks elon,. . . . .I've forwarde the link to the appropriate quarter. . .definitely worth a look, although the general assumption is that most of these stolen engines will end up in Eastern Europe, . . . I read a forum post mid 2015 where a guy went to look at a used aircraft in Lithuania but the engine info in the logbooks just didn't add up and he walked away. . . .

Phil.