Question?

Does anyone know that on this weekend if Amberley is active and we can fly through and at what levels , been caught out once and dont want to be chastised again.cheers gareth

Call up ATC on the radio and ask them before you fly through. OR, set up OzRunways (if you have it) to show restricted areas. When in doubt give ATC a call on the radio 121.2 from memory and say the following

Brisbane center, buzzbox 1234 (use your rego and plane type of course) request status of Amberly airspace. But do it when the controller is not handling a dozen airliners. I did it the day of the Clifton fly in when a lot of incursions happened...see video

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Does anyone know that on this weekend if Amberley is active and we can fly through and at what levels , been caught out once and dont want to be chastised again.cheers gareth

Phone "Amberley ATIS" on 07 53613581 then just go around little Amberley and under the steps.

• Agree 2
  • Winner 1

Turn off transponder, turn off radio, turn on auto pilot......grab ipod, find Kenny Rogers, take a nap and fly right thru.... apparently thats how Williamtown is transited...

DrZ

Have you got any references for that? I'd love to read the report on THAT one!

Gareth

The easiest way is to get your VTC or VNC out and learn how to use it (as should have been taught to you during training), don't fly more than 10 miles from your home airport until you know how to navigate and interpret the charts correctly, after you can do this and you are flying get on the radio and ask (also should have been taught to you during training).

You can fly all of Amberly airspace (except for the control zone) not above 1500 feet any time, the CTA extends 10NM in an arc to the north, west, south and approx 7 miles to the east (when not active CTA reverts to CTAF but you need to watch the Brisbane CTA steps also on the charts as low as 4500 within the Amberly area), the next zone is at 20 NM and you are able to go to 4500 feet at all times, the last zone that is relevant to us is at 35 NM and you can go to 8500 at all times. There are danger zones through all of these areas and smart people monitor Amberly approach (when active 126.2) while inside these areas to build up a mental picture of what low jet traffic may be operating in the area. If you think someone may be operating close to you get on the radio and let approach know where you are and where you are going.

All the above information is freely available on the VTC. You should be carrying all the appropriate charts (electronic or paper, if electronic 2 devices or a paper back up set) with you to conduct the flight safely without infringing restricted and control zones and know where you are at all times.

I know this may sound a little harsh, but really, how do people get signed off for their nav training without being able to do this.

Aldo

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

Aldo each area is different and in all honesty the nav training does not have the time to cover it all in a way that comprehensively answers the details needed..

You advice is great and the detail in your answer is fantastic....but we seriously need to encourage a culture where its better to ask and find the answers then get belittled for asking like you have just done to him... this is not in the interest of safety to do so...

• Agree 3

Aldo , you are right of course and i do use my charts but in the Ra xc training you are with your instructor who helps you understand reading charts , but this is also a high stress time for students ,also when you have gained your xc you then need to do xc to get better understanding, i plan most of my xc trips and plan through the most easiest ways that are close to cta areas,and it has been said many time s here that we learn more about aviating the more we do,also i am not a 20 year old being close to 70 makes a little more time to learn and digest, with myself i know that the more i do things the better understanding i get the reason i asked the question was to get responses from pilots that use this area all the time ,i thank you all for your responses and will now go back to my studying

cheers gareth

• Like 1

Aldo each area is different and in all honesty the nav training does not have the time to cover it all in a way that comprehensively answers the details needed..You advice is great and the detail in your answer is fantastic....but we seriously need to encourage a culture where its better to ask and find the answers then get belittled for asking like you have just done to him... this is not in the interest of safety to do so...

Zoos

I'm sorry if you read it this way I wasn't trying to belittle Gareth more pointing out the training deficiencies we seem to have in RAA with regard to cross country navigation as well as putting in some information that I believe is relevant.

I apologize to anyone if it comes across this way it wasn't the intent.

Aldo

• Informative 1
  • Winner 1

Aldo , you are right of course and i do use my charts but in the Ra xc training you are with your instructor who helps you understand reading charts , but this is also a high stress time for students ,also when you have gained your xc you then need to do xc to get better understanding, i plan most of my xc trips and plan through the most easiest ways that are close to cta areas,and it has been said many time s here that we learn more about aviating the more we do,also i am not a 20 year old being close to 70 makes a little more time to learn and digest, with myself i know that the more i do things the better understanding i get the reason i asked the question was to get responses from pilots that use this area all the time ,i thank you all for your responses and will now go back to my studyingcheers gareth

Gareth

I wasn't having a go at you and I'm sorry if you have taken it this way (if you are 70 odd then I congratulate you for having the guts to have a go), it is the training that concerns me and I'm sorry as I know it is expensive to learn but people shouldn't be signed off unless they can do everything that is required.

I also understand being inexperienced I remember doing a trip from Brisbane to Mt Isa (with about 90 hours total time in a 210 with 5 pax) back in the days of full reporting (the same as IFR these days) it took me a week to plan it, today it would take me no more than 20 minutes.

The best way if you don't understand some of the things is to go and ask a very experienced instructor and I'm sure they will help you out, website forums are not generally the best way to get the right information.

Allan

• Agree 1

Aldo, i didnt feel belittled , just asked the question of fellow aviators that have been doing it far longer than myself , i always try to learn from others who no more about a subject than i , my learning continues .

Cheers Gareth

Aldo each area is different and in all honesty the nav training does not have the time to cover it all in a way that comprehensively answers the details needed..

Zoos

Exactly which is why the training is supposed to cover how to read and interpret all the information on the charts/ERSA/AIP/NOTAMS/weather (in the format it is presented in) and anything else you need to conduct the flight safely for yourself/passengers and other aircraft.

As a qualified cross country pilot you should be able to fly any area in Australia and understand the charts associated with that area because your certificate/licence allows you to do that, anything less than that you're not safe.

Allan

Aldo im not disagreeing, but seriously when the average RAA pilot flies 23.79 hours per annum, do you really think they will remember all of this...

I know plenty of PPL and even a few CPL guys that regularly ask me questions about areas they want to go that they know I have just been ...

My point is we need a culture where its super cool to ask and learn and frowned upon to pretend you know it all... to achieve this we cant put down peoples knowledge or training when they ask...we need to just answer and help wherever possible..

Dont take what im saying personally, your intentions where possibly admirable... its just a discussion worth having..

• Agree 1