Cockpit Photos??

Byron

Hey Everyone. I'm new to this message board and a brand new drifter owner! I just purchased a 10-12 year old super drifter w/ 912. Just wanted to see if anyone had photos to share of their instrument panel or any custom configurations. I'm deciding where to mount my comtronics dual-com intercom and possibly a radio and GPS. Would like to see what you all have on your drifters! (I saw the thread back in 2006 requesting cockpit photos)

P3022208.jpeg.b33524811eb009f15dec67c73464f5a4.jpeg

IMG_20151122_102550.jpg.c0168024b48682e83e69435d145f2543.jpg

IMG_20151127_192053.jpg.fbfc909f3a79694d1349866e2101993c.jpg

IMG_20151212_222727.jpg.87242cbd04145cb85317cff51d103439.jpg

• 5 months later...
Hey Everyone.

Hey Byron! Sorry I`ve missed your thread until now,been off the forum for a while, but better late than never...Love that photo of the Drifter on the water...Is the piece attached to the tube, under the tail, a fin or for flotation?

Frank.

The screen gives you Speed, engine revs, CGT, Oil Temp, Water temp, Hours, and a few other things that are not important. have been able to work out how to get Netflix yet though.

• Like 1

The screen gives you Speed, engine revs, CGT, Oil Temp, Water temp, Hours, and a few other things that are not important. have been able to work out how to get Netflix yet though.

If I get a screen, will it give me speed? Sometimes I'd like my Drifter to be faster.

• Haha 3

Guest Howard Hughes
If I get a screen, will it give me speed? Sometimes I'd like my Drifter to be faster.

It won't go any faster, but it will seem like it while you pass the time watching movies!022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

So how does that compare in price with standard gauges, to do the same thing?

Farri wouldnt bother cant see the dam thing if the light shines the wrong way, hence we have duplicated with standard gauges as well. the fancy screen came with the 912 engine we used.

Farri wouldnt bother cant see the dam thing if the light shines the wrong way, hence we have duplicated with standard gauges as well. the fancy screen came with the 912 engine we used.

Have you considered making a little glare shield? The Tigers (helis) have a substantial glare shield so their MFDs are visible in bright sun.

I was keen on flying planes with EFIS until I flew one, the sunlight hit it and I couldn't see anything but the backup gauges. I'm definitely not a fan of the glass cockpit.

Thanks! but not even remotely interested in having one! just wondering on the cost of it...

Slightly different subject but same problem with sunlight! I flew a Zenith 701, that was housed here at home for 10 years and when the sun hit the windscreen on the right angle, forward vision was greatly impaired.

• 2 weeks later...

have you seen the F16 screen fitted to Walkers Drifter at Boonah - pretty flash bit of kit - can post a couple of pix if ya like...

BP

Hey Everyone. I'm new to this message board and a brand new drifter owner! I just purchased a 10-12 year old super drifter w/ 912. Just wanted to see if anyone had photos to share of their instrument panel or any custom configurations. I'm deciding where to mount my comtronics dual-com intercom and possibly a radio and GPS. Would like to see what you all have on your drifters! (I saw the thread back in 2006 requesting cockpit photos)

g'day Byron - just as a heads up m8, if you don't have one of those cameras on the end of a flexible tube you need to get one - the only structural failure in a Drifter that caused a fatal crash (that I know of) was of a Drifter in the USA that was on floats - evidently the aircraft was in top condition but there was corrosion in the main boom at the tail, and it failed during flight. the corrosion was in an area that was not visible from outside, but I would expect a 'tube' camera to be able to get into just about every nook and cranny in a Drifter - I'm just started using one on mine (big overhaul) and have just discovered the remains of a rats nest in the floor, which I hope I can blow out using my Stihl blower connected to a taped-on length of garden hose...

cheers

BP

Thanks! but not even remotely interested in having one! just wondering on the cost of it...Slightly different subject but same problem with sunlight! I flew a Zenith 701, that was housed here at home for 10 years and when the sun hit the windscreen on the right angle, forward vision was greatly impaired.

I have 2 of MGL Xtremes in my Savannah and the sun shines on them and I dont have any issues at all seeing the screens in direct sunlight. Maybe they are quite a few years old the types you have flown with.

• Agree 1

coincidental thread - the overhaul of 0455 includes some serious cockpit redesigning - to see what the current cockpit looked like, check out the flight sim version of 0455 at the Ant's Airplanes website

considering I have had a couple of close calls with 'traffic' I am adding a strobe to the top of the kingpost and a very bright (wide angle) led landing light under the cockpit

not going to do anything about the radio, I've had some real positive comments about how clear my transmissions are (Icom A22 and the Micro Avionics radio interface)

adding a fused buss box to supply voltage to all electrical items, and a set of switches marked GPS STROBE LANDING - plus a separate switch for power to the radio

on the side panel that used to house a UHF CB I am putting in a small panel with voltmeter, USB and cig lighter sockets

the battery and regulator will be moved to an alloy box mounted in the space behind the pilots seat (battery is hard to reach, in the nose - moving it back will help with CG problems associated with fat pilots)

naturally all electrical work will be carried out by an electrician, if anyone has contact details for an aviation electrician near Boonah I am happy to pay them 'handsomely' for the work

BP

• Like 1