Pilot Cleared Over Beer Run.

From ABC

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-12-24/chopper-pilot-cleared-over-beer-run-claims/7052768

Chopper pilot cleared over claims of beer run flight to Mt Molloy pub in far north Queensland

By Mike Donaldson

Posted about 2 hours ago

MAP: Mount Molloy 4871

A tribunal has rejected allegations a far north Queensland helicopter pilot flew two mates on a beer run to a local pub at Mt Molloy, north of Cairns, after running out of alcohol.

The Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) alleged the trio piled into a two-seater helicopter after running out of beer at a barbecue, landing at a country pub and buying a slab, then clipping trees on take-off.

The pilot went to the Administrative Appeals Tribunal, successfully arguing he had not undertaken the beer run flight.

He said a key witness was motivated by malice, after the pilot had an affair with the witness's former partner.

However, because of a breach of flying rules on another flight, which included consuming alcohol, the tribunal upheld CASA's cancellation of the pilot's approval to act as a chief pilot but it allowed him to continue to fly commercially, after a period of suspension, under a series of strict conditions.

• Haha 1

Jack Pantovic got his day in court, with the AAT findings published on 18th December 2015.

A casual conversation finds Jack [Jason Pantovic in the AAT] an R22 helicopter mustering pilot based just north of Mareeba, a bloke that works long hours and in a dangerous occupation.

The AAT finding mocks #casa in how it carried out it’s investigation and one can see many parallels with the earlier John Quadrio case and a R44 Robinson helicopter.

To sum up and there will be more than one item missed in the summary:

• There are unfounded accusations;

• At least one witness was coerced by a #casa investigator;

• Witnesses were allowed, by the Canberra based investigator [Mr Leif Nystrom] to “conspire”;

• Many individuals tried to step away from taking any responsibility;

[/url]

Report on the matter in Brisbane press

• Caution 1

sounds like a very dangerous business. The affair, I mean.

'Ang on,. . . .didn't that report state that "The pilot had conducted an affair with the EX- partner of the hostile witness, resulting in his false accusation ? ? ? Nowt wrong with that, I have two pilot friends, both named John, . . .partner left John 1, and took up with John 2 some weeks later, and married her soon after. . . but John 1+2 are still the best of friends . . . John 2 for getting a new missis ( Nice guy, but face like a sackfull of spanners ) and John 1 extremely grateful to John 2 for making fairly sure she didn't come back . . . .

I am sad to hear that Australia also appears to suffer ( as does the UK ) from obfuscating, lying, cheating, virtue signalling, bullying officials who mis-report / bend rules / act in very naughty ways to achieve thier evil intent to the detriment of often innocent parties . . . . .

didn't mean to be passing judgement.........I've known people who regard their domestic partners as personal property for all time, despite the demise of the relationships, and can get violent about it, that's what I meant by dangerous......I have no time for people who can't move on, but they're out there.

• Agree 1

I'm certain the beer run was true and often, so what, just a different mode of transport than what most of us have done at some time.

Yes I appreciate the safety aspect but geez, you have to live a little as well.

• Agree 1

Long, long time ago...

The Australian agents for Cessna contacted DCA ( Dept. of Civil Aviation) asking if they had the registration details for a C172, reg. VH-XXX, because the owner had requested a new elevator for a 172 and they didn't know what model it was. DCA responded that it was an 'X' model, but had not been re-registered in eight or so years. However, DCA asked about the inquirer, who was the Station Manager for one of the really HUGE Central Australian properties.

When the DCA Inspector landed, the Station Manager came out and welcomed him.

The DCA Inspector said: 'I''m from DCA' - to which the Manager replied: 'Dingo Control Authority?- great, we have problems here'.

To cut a longish story short: ownership of the 172 had passed from the previous owner to the Station Manager over a bet at the Birdsville Races. The Station Manager had been given the Owner's Manual; he studied it up, then flew the thing back home and operated it for eight years solely as a Station utility vehicle - never off the property- until it had been blown backwards into a tank stand and damaged the elevator.

The DCA Inspector told him that it would have to be reinstated on the Register before flying again - but wrote out a Pilot's Certificate on the spot, for which he had the authority.

And no, this is not an urban myth: a family member was in DCA at the time and involved in getting the thing back on the Register.

Oscar, plenty of similar stories like yours. CAA did a sweep across regional Australia the late eighties and found many unregistered aircraft some having never been place on it since their import. Plenty of 'urban myths' as well like the East West F27 that was regularly bounced on in Western NSW by a Mustang.

Long, long time ago...To cut a longish story short: ownership of the 172 had passed from the previous owner to the Station Manager over a bet at the Birdsville Races. The Station Manager had been given the Owner's Manual; he studied it up, then flew the thing back home and operated it for eight years solely as a Station utility vehicle - never off the property- until it had been blown backwards into a tank stand and damaged the elevator.

C'mon Oscar. I believed the story until you got to the bit where the Cessna never left the property.

No self-respecting squatter would neglect to check out the health of his next door neighbour's cattle on the other side of the boundary fence.

Kaz

• Agree 1
  • Haha 2

didn't mean to be passing judgement.........I've known people who regard their domestic partners as personal property for all time, despite the demise of the relationships, and can get violent about it, that's what I meant by dangerous......I have no time for people who can't move on, but they're out there.

Sorry mate,. . . I forgot to put a "Smileygiggle" after that bit of the post . . .

Phil