EFB - iPad Air vs Mini

Listing in Penrith.....read 'probably stolen'. No accessories would support that also.

They have good feedback though, like how they list the brand as lenovo.

I never buy second hand electronics, could be stolen or faulty.

I always buy new for warranty and purchase assurance. But I do sell old ipads and iphones through mresell, they are the best when it comes to the cash.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

On a related subject, I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 (7 inch) in my aircraft and have a couple of Air Nav programs loaded.

Problem is, on many occasions, the tablet, which has a built-in GPS, fails to pick up a signal. One recent flight, coming back over the Southern Alps, with solid cloud below and only the peaks poking through, it refused to work and I had to rely on a compass course (which actually put me right on track). After googling the problem, it seems that even though the tablet specs say GPS, A-GPS & Glonass ( the Soviet system) you just cant rely on it to always provide a signal when needed, and should really have a separate GPS receiver as well. The ideal one appears to be the Garmin with bluetooth, so no cord needed.

I would be interested to know if others have had the same problem. Apparently even the much-vaunted i-pad

can lose its signal at times, and other pilots I know locally have resorted to adding a separate GPS receiver. I of course have tried to do it on the cheap - hence the second-hand Tab 3.

On a related subject, I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 (7 inch) in my aircraft and have a couple of Air Nav programs loaded.Problem is, on many occasions, the tablet, which has a built-in GPS, fails to pick up a signal. One recent flight, coming back over the Southern Alps, with solid cloud below and only the peaks poking through, it refused to work and I had to rely on a compass course (which actually put me right on track). After googling the problem, it seems that even though the tablet specs say GPS, A-GPS & Glonass ( the Soviet system) you just cant rely on it to always provide a signal when needed, and should really have a separate GPS receiver as well. The ideal one appears to be the Garmin with bluetooth, so no cord needed.

I would be interested to know if others have had the same problem. Apparently even the much-vaunted i-pad

can lose its signal at times, and other pilots I know locally have resorted to adding a separate GPS receiver. I of course have tried to do it on the cheap - hence the second-hand Tab 3.

I use the DUAL XGPS150 Remote Receiver on the dash, and have never had a problem with dropouts.

If you google this gadget it gives you all the info and at approx USD $100 it's good value.

• 1 month later...

Anyone updated there iPad to the new iOS ?

This new night shift feature is awesome, puts a yellow tinge to the screen is really good on your eyes when flying at night.

Also anyone purchased new 9.7" pro?

My Air 2 is now at 9.3.1 and no issues airborne. It has inbuilt SIM card, and I don't need/use an external GPS for it to work well in my aircraft (& OzRunways). Can't answer for others needing external GPS.

It has inbuilt SIM card, and I don't need/use an external GPS for it to work well in my aircraft (& OzRunways). Can't answer for others needing external GPS.

Ey?

You mean it's the cellular version and you put in a sim such as Telstra? Only the new ones have the apple sim built in, I think your meaning the cellular version that nearly all of us have due to the gps.

Yes, Telstra SIM card for cellular data, and of course inbuilt GPS (as all iPads have). My inbuilt iPad GPS is sufficient for geo-location in my aircraft (ie. no loss of satellite due to shielding, so I have no need for an external Bluetooth GPS device). Sorry if I confused you...

Only the cellular ones.

Ooops, yes... Sorry. I've only ever used iPads with SIM card capability. Didn't realise they integrated GPS circuitry with the SIM card capability.

have been running ipad mini for some yrs now, mount it to a "Ram" mount, excellent. Recently purchased another mini ( mini 4 ) .......couple of big trips coming up.....anyway mini 4, is 3...4mm longer and snapping it into the old mount is applying stress to the mount. ( info for you guys )

when the "updates" come along, ie 9.3 etc...........i don't update for mths later, if at all. Too many incidences in the past with folks having issues.

google "ipad ghost touching"I had this happen to my ipad mini 2... as an electronics tech I replaced the digitizer and added all the insulation captan tape as described but I still have the issue.......Its not as frequent as previous, but totally unacceptable for something like an EFB.......It changed totally my thoughts re the need for a backup EFB, and also made me interested in looking at the iphone plus sized phone as the backup, imho its a useful size enough in its own right.......I find it amazing that casa specify a minimum size.......and yet for most of us who've flown for a while your fist mapping GPS was probably 1/2 the screen size of a an iphone std model, and their screen size is nothing to crow about....makes me wonder how we survived at all.......

Andy

I had the screen replaced but it made no difference. Apple have agreed to replace the ipad mini.

when the "updates" come along, ie 9.3 etc...........i don't update for mths later, if at all. Too many incidences in the past with folks having issues.

Delaying updates is a good practice.

I also travel with an older iPad as an onboard backup, also running OzRunways. I tend to test iOS updates on that one first... If no issues, then I go ahead and update the main (newer) iPad.

• Agree 1

Would love to know how to migrate all my waypoints from old iPad to new.Tried.....gave up.

iCloud?

Dropbox?

iTunes Backup?

I think ozrunways has dropbox intergration?

Export the plan containing the waypoint by email to yourself and import into the new iPad, or, I think it will sync on iTunes and you can restore from iTunes to the new iPad.

Think he has a collection of user waypoints and not just a single plan with the waypoints.

HomeKnowledge BaseGetting Started

Importing custom waypoints

Updated at 18 Apr, 2013 06:56 AM

If you have a bunch of custom waypoints, for example in an excel document, there's a way to import them into OzRunways via an excel program that a dedicated user of OzRunways (Patrick F) has written.

It's not really supported as a "100% working feature" so our support will be limited in dealing with any problems (you may need to fiddle with the excel document yourself).

Anyway onto the solution, download the Excel document here:

OzRunways_Userpoints_Rev1.1.xlsm

And watch this video on YouTube:

The generated .ozplan file from the spreadsheet can be opened by OzRunways which will dump all the waypoints into OzRunways !

Enjoy.

Try this: it did not copy the video but you can see it in the information section of OzRunways.

• Helpful 1

HomeKnowledge BaseGetting StartedImporting custom waypoints

Updated at 18 Apr, 2013 06:56 AM

If you have a bunch of custom waypoints, for example in an excel document, there's a way to import them into OzRunways via an excel program that a dedicated user of OzRunways (Patrick F) has written.

It's not really supported as a "100% working feature" so our support will be limited in dealing with any problems (you may need to fiddle with the excel document yourself).

Anyway onto the solution, download the Excel document here:

OzRunways_Userpoints_Rev1.1.xlsm

And watch this video on YouTube:

The generated .ozplan file from the spreadsheet can be opened by OzRunways which will dump all the waypoints into OzRunways !

Enjoy.

Try this: it did not copy the video but you can see it in the information section of OzRunways.

But he needs to get them off the device first then upload them to the new device.

Wish to duplicate the waypoints to new iPad, so have 2 pads with same details.

I am wondering if an itunes backup would save the app along with everything in the app?

Then you can just sync the new ipad, I never connect the ipad to the pc so im not sure if its possible.

OK - I'll have another attempt.

Settings - User Waypoints - Export (the group you wish to export) - email to yourself - Import into the new program on the new iPad.

If that does not work....... I give up....

• Agree 1
  • Helpful 1