EFB - iPad Air vs Mini

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Heres mine, all works great, theres and Iphone 6 somewhere too as a OzR backup or running RWY togo. Its piped through headset too.

Ipad mini is too far away to read text on notams and location boxIMG_1156.JPG.cd9b1cdc71268590d246bbf24c937b7d.JPG

I know a guy running Levil ADHRS box and 2 ipads as main displays

How do you all go reaching the iPad and using the touch screen when it's mounted in the panel ?, I find it easy on my lap but I think it would add a degree of difficulty with an outstretched arm with bumps and vibes while airborne.

• Agree 1

Some impressive panels there.

Has anyone else had problems with direct sunlight wiping out LC displays? It's worse when the aircraft is parked, but even a problem in flight. I've had to install large, ugly cardboard shades over each one to protect them.

Bob thats a great set-up. I have exactly the same in my Jab170 except the Ipad Mini is on the RH side and the 296 on the left.I found even the Mini too much "in my face" on the LH side but the 296 is small enough to be out of the way!

Thanks for that Roscoe , but your set-up is what my lady would prefer . She likes the coloured screens , but has to look at the ' boring old monochrome 196 ' ! Maybe I should just buy her a 296 instead , but that is easier said than done . Would like to see a pic of your set-up if possible ....... Bob

Fusion Pro latest V8 works a treat and seems to work really well with Win10

I got a refund on the 11" macbook air as officeworks had the 13" for $15 more (wow).

Kyle, Do you prefer to run a vm or boot camp as the latest air only supports 10 and not 7 via boot camp.

Trying to decide if I should buy Windows 10 for $150 and use boot camp or run windows 7 within a vm.

Also, I take it you do a bit of radio programming so would there be any issues with using windows within a vm and accessing the usb ports for radio programming?

Oh, can you burn dvd's from within a vm and with an external usb drive? I read some where that Parallels can't.

I know that there has been problems circulating in relation to this.

Parallels sounds good as you can run windows programs without opening the full windows vm, it simple opens the windows program within osx and straight from the dock.

This may sound like a weird question but I want to know if my screen is dead.

I have the mini 4 and when having the blue "earth" wallpaper down the towards the bottom of the blue earth (right side) there is specs of white, now of course this would be starts but my iphone running the same wallpaper does not have it.

ahhhh this is so dumb but it is on my mind!

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, if anyone has any questions or doubts about the usability of iPads in the Cockpit, have a look at the Sportys Pilot Shop Website which devotes a whole section to mounting options, differences in iPad types, how to set up the iPad pre flight so that you don't forget any important pre settings etc etc.

They also explain very clearly how to use accessories like the Dual 150 GPS devices.

• Informative 1

Slightly relevant: I keep finding new uses for my iPad. Spent the last couple of days trying to repair a fitting I'd glued into the tail section of my Jodel. The only access is via a small hole under the fuselage. To make matters worse, the aircraft is folded up on its carrier in my shipping container, with the wing just under the tail, so you have to be a contortionist to even get your forearm in the hole. There's no chance to actually see what you're doing.

Solution: bluetak a light and a GoPro inside. Watch on the iPad what you are doing while one hand operates drills and an old clothes iron to soften the epoxy. When the IR temp gun hits 60 degrees C, manipulate chisels, levers, etc to unglued parts.

The fun part? Working around a hot iron with a five second delay between moving your hand and the iPad image catching up!

• Caution 1

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone updated to IOS 9.2.1 ? Keeps prompting me to update but I am worried its gonna screw avplan and ozrunways and I only just installed 40 gig of data on a day of free telstra data and don't want to lose it.

iPad Mini 4

Has anyone updated to IOS 9.2.1 ? Keeps prompting me to update but I am worried its gonna screw avplan and ozrunways and I only just installed 40 gig of data on a day of free telstra data and don't want to lose it.iPad Mini 4

Updated mine and have had no issues with oz runways. I have an iPad mini 4 64gb 4g version

• Informative 1

Updated mine and have had no issues with oz runways. I have an iPad mini 4 64gb 4g version

Cheers mate.

I tend to do a factory reset after doing updates but with limited internet at the moment I don't want to do it all again, only doing it today with Telstra's free data day.

Cheers mate.I tend to do a factory reset after doing updates but with limited internet at the moment I don't want to do it all again, only doing it today with Telstra's free data day.

I have never had to do factory resets after an update. THe telstra free day while good, unfortunately I had nothing to update!! I have 200GB on home adsl anyway.

Yep I already downloaded 200 gigabytes on the prepaid mobile broadband already, would have costed like $1800.

I get 6 terabyte at home, but I am away at the moment so needed something to do 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Yep I already downloaded 200 gigabytes on the prepaid mobile broadband already, would have costed like $1800.I get 6 terabyte at home, but I am away at the moment so needed something to do 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Fair enough!! I would hate to think how much they got smashed today

I run an older iPad and a fairly new mini. Since the new iOS upgrade, both have developed screen instability. From time to time the screen just goes unresponsive and jumps from one app to another. Tapping the screen has odd responses or none at all. It affects Ozrunways too. Just started happening with the upgrades this week, or an almighty coincidence.

Guest Andys@coffs
I run an older iPad and a fairly new mini. Since the new iOS upgrade, both have developed screen instability. From time to time the screen just goes unresponsive and jumps from one app to another. Tapping the screen has odd responses or none at all. It affects Ozrunways too. Just started happening with the upgrades this week, or an almighty coincidence.

google "ipad ghost touching"

I had this happen to my ipad mini 2... as an electronics tech I replaced the digitizer and added all the insulation captan tape as described but I still have the issue.......Its not as frequent as previous, but totally unacceptable for something like an EFB.......It changed totally my thoughts re the need for a backup EFB, and also made me interested in looking at the iphone plus sized phone as the backup, imho its a useful size enough in its own right.......I find it amazing that casa specify a minimum size.......and yet for most of us who've flown for a while your fist mapping GPS was probably 1/2 the screen size of a an iphone std model, and their screen size is nothing to crow about....makes me wonder how we survived at all.......

Andy