camera suggestion

Any suggestions for a still camera to mount on plane and operate wirelessly.

I have been thinking of getting a Fuji XP8O a "ruggedised" point and shoot camera that can be operated from a smart phone.

Any and all suggestions welcome

How much does an XP80 cost? You might like to investigate the GoPro Session or one of their other starter range cameras. They will take videos or pics under wifi control and GoPro also have an extensive range of mounting solutions, With the Fuji, you might have to devise your own mountings and that will add to the costs.

I have tried a few "el-cheapo" sports cameras from various suppliers with mixed results. The worst one I bought came from JB HiFi. It was VERY fiddly to set up and operate and I lost quite a lot of footage because of that camera. It now sits in a drawer like a naughty boy because it doesn't play well.

I just got a Garmin Virb XE, seems to work very well but hasn't been in an airplane yet. Probably mount it on my headset rather than pay for engineering approval to mount it on the airplane.

I just got a Garmin Virb XE, seems to work very well but hasn't been in an airplane yet. Probably mount it on my headset rather than pay for engineering approval to mount it on the airplane.

DJ:

You can get a bit sneaky with the mounts. I made some mounts out of sheet metal that attach to the wing struts with a velcro strap. Quick on and off in case someone is snooping. I'll try to send a pic or a graphic of the design.

849289102_StrutMount2.jpg.231713e421856643aab6d59fa77b8fb1.jpg

We had a case here of a fellow who had recently soloed in his trike (still under instructor's supervision) - went flying low down riverbeds with his GoPro mounted on the wing - posted the results on UTube and now has a "please explain" from CAA!

• Like 2

We had a case here of a fellow who had recently soloed in his trike (still under instructor's supervision) - went flying low down riverbeds with his GoPro mounted on the wing - posted the results on UTube and now has a "please explain" from CAA!

Sounds like just the sort of pilot that will end up on the evening news. I don't mind if stupid people win Darwin awards, as long as they don't take anyone else with them when they go.

Check out a SJ7000 on Ebay. Cost about $85.00 delivered from Hong Kong. Can be WiFi managed from any smart phone. Comes with umpteen mount accessories & waterproof case. 170 degree lens & very good quality video up to 1080p. There are newer ones now with 4k recording in UHD at a bit more cost. Basically they are go-pro copies with more features & almost equal quality at less than a quarter of the price.

I have an Ion Air Pro. Cost $299.00 with wifi, 14MP camera, 30&60 fps, HD & Full HD has 170 deg lense. Water proof as is, comes with bayonet mount.

I like that it has a small section, round like a small torch about 35 mm diameter, and 100mm long. I use the stick on gimbal mount on my helmet.

Have a look at a new DRIFT. wristband remote has a screen, Pic quality is excellent. My old HD has been in all sorts of places around the world and hasn't missed a beat unlike a mates Go Pro. Quite streamlined, lens rotates through nearly 180 degrees and doesn't stand out like a pimple on a dick

• Like 1

I must say I don't like cameras on or in aircraft, I admit I have done a couple of videos probably 3-4 but it really doesent interest me.

I make one flying video and im bored, cant be bothered lugging a go pro everywhere.

I use my Go Pro's for other things and an occasional flying video.

Some people go overboard and want to film every single flight with multiple cameras such as youtube member "Mr Aviation 101", not sure why you would want to.

I think I only have one flying video on my hard drive!

A lot of people just take videos and put it on youtube to say "have a look at me" to boost there egos.

Not saying any of you guys do it but I know a heap of guys that have cameras all over the plane just to put on youtube.

I know a few aerobatic guys that use cameras but it never goes online, its just used for reviewing the manoeuvres.

• Agree 1

Go pro in my opinion simply because they have the best image stabilization i have seen.. I have used a bunch of cameras on my motocross bikes and mountain bikes , plus snow boarding and nothing comes close to the Go Pro for fitting and motion stabilization... If budget is tight, replacement batteries are cheap, you can buy a used Hero and set it on pic mode where it takes a still every 30 seconds... You will still end up with a crazy bunch of great photos and dont have to do anything but fly...

Just saying - Consider using a medium or low strength loctite as vibration on the mounts can cause them to loosen and your liability and culpability would be significant ... or place a secondary locking mechanism eg a strap..that cant come off.

DJP,

I understand the purpose of the circular to cover externally mounted equipment. Is there anything illegal about mounting a camera internally in the cabin on one of the internal support structures as an example?

Suggest you read the bit about mounting EFBs in the CAAP then we might discuss. It says something about suction mounts and velcro etc not being airworthy so those EFBs must be stowed during takeoff and landing etc. It goes on to say that EFBs mounted to the aircraft structure require airworthiness approval. It doesn't say that you can mount sonething to structure with suction mounts and velcro etc without getting airworthiness approval does it? What constitutes structure? If mounted somewhere that is not structure is it exempt from having airworthiness approval?

When we agree on what CASA says about EFBs we can extend that guidance to cameras and end up with nothing practical.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1