Radio Static when charging external Devices

Has anyone noticed this situation when charging Devices like Ipads, GPS etc through a Cigarette lighter adapter cable?

Is there a simple fix?

Radio is a Microair 760 Comm.

Thanks.

Does the nit part of a panel cigarette lighter socket only strip if it is over tightened or is it just part of el-chinese manufacture. Has anyone got a supplier for real lighter socket fittings. If you bump the charger adapter it jumps the thread on the socket.

Avoid the 4.8amp version http://www.jaycar.com.au/Power-Products-Electrical/Power-Conversion-%26-Transformation/12VDC-Power-Supplies/4-8A-Dual-USB-Car-Cigarette-Lighter-Adaptor/p/MP3667

Noisy for music from phone when charging, adds background noise to radio transmissions and plays havoc with our Dynon EMS120. Going back to the previous 2+1 amp adapter that I was using eliminated the problems entirely

http://www.jaycar.com.au/Power-Products-Electrical/Power-Conversion-%26-Transformation/12VDC-Power-Supplies/Dual-Port-3-1A-USB-Charger,-Panel-Surface-Mount-12VDC-Input/p/MP3616

I have 2 of these but in a flat plate side by side on my dash and a Jaycar 12V cig lighter socket a very good quality plastic style one with a great panel mount. I will see if i have any pics of them

• Informative 1

• 7 years later...

Noticed this in the latest issue of Sport Pilot.

The inbuilt CO senser is a smart idea assuming it works better than the paper sticker on the dash. I also am assuming they have resolved the noise during charging issue.

It ain’t cheap, but you get what you pay for.  Interested in any comments or real world experience if anyone has used one yet.

https://www.design4pilots.com/categories/useful/products/pilot-co-charger

• Informative 2

i guess the other question is do you really need a CO monitor in a Rotax powered aircraft ?  The cabin heater on a Rotax engine comes off the water radiator, so less risk of CO entering the cabin by that pathway at least.

The entire space inside the cabin runs at below ambient PRESSURE and fumes can enter near the elevator/fin area or any place at all.  Nev

Edited by facthunter
expand
  • Agree 2

Read somewhere else that iphone ipad etc while in wifi mode will search for networks if not already connected; creates a real racket... noise disappears as soon as wifi connects, or wifi switched off, or after about 40sec but will search again and again...

Have installed similar jaycar unit to Kyle above (same but with led volts button)... works well, but again wifi devices such as iphone and gopro create a real racket while looking for networks to handshake with...