Why do Boeing planes start and end with the number 7?

Robbo

THERE’S the classic 747, the smaller 737 and more recently, the fancy 787 Dreamliner. And don’t forget the 757, 767 and 777.

So have you ever wondered just what’s with all the numbers 7s when it comes to Boeing aircraft models? Is there a method to the numbering “madness”?

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-advice/flights/why-do-boeing-planes-start-and-end-with-the-number-7/news-story/6bb5bbb847e1c6021f5de8287ab3a830

• Like 1

Boeing 80, Boeing 247, Boeing 299, Boeing 307, Boeing 367 dash 80, to 707, to 720.

Pilots often refer to the variant. 737-800 = 738.

Hmm...

Plus...of course... The mighty STEARMAN.

.....& what will they do when the 797 is eventually made

They could do something similar to hexadecimal numbering and start doing 7A7, 7B7 etc... That would give them at least 26 more models before they had to get more creative. Given that the 7_7 series has been adequate since the 1950s they might not have to do anything until 2076

• Informative 1

I remember reading that the middle number indicates when it was designed with regard to a time line. E.G. 727 was designed before the 737 but that didn't alway mean the earlier design had it's maiden flight first.

Wayne

Guest SrPilot
Boeing 80, Boeing 247, Boeing 299, Boeing 307, Boeing 367 dash 80, to 707, to 720. Pilots often refer to the variant. 737-800 = 738. Hmm... Plus...of course... The mighty STEARMAN.

And don't forget such successes as the B29, B50, B47, B52, C97, KC97, KC135.

But another player in the "we've got a number for you" is Gulfstream. Their early birds were the GI,GII, GIIB, GIII, GIV, GIVSP, and GV. But not enough prospects spoke Roman so they changed the numbering to G300, G350, G400, G450, G500, G650. When they bought Astra, they redubbed the Astra SPX as the G100, G150, G200, and I think they later became the G250 and G280. I may not have all of the numbers. I've heard rumors of a Golly G, a Gee Whiz, and also a G69 but the latter was only rumored to be hidden somewhere in Boeing's version of the "Skunk Works."

The Gee Bee was not a Gulfstream. Luckily it predated Gulfsteam if I remember correctly, so there was no brand infringement suit as far as I can recall.

And don't forget such successes as the B29, B50, B47, B52, C97, KC97, KC135.But another player in the "we've got a number for you" is Gulfstream. Their early birds were the GI,GII, GIIB, GIII, GIV, GIVSP, and GV. But not enough prospects spoke Roman so they changed the numbering to G300, G350, G400, G450, G500, G650. When they bought Astra, they redubbed the Astra SPX as the G100, G150, G200, and I think they later became the G250 and G280. I may not have all of the numbers. I've heard rumors of a Golly G, a Gee Whiz, and also a G69 but the latter was only rumored to be hidden somewhere in Boeing's version of the "Skunk Works."

The Gee Bee was not a Gulfstream. Luckily it predated Gulfsteam if I remember correctly, so there was no brand infringement suit as far as I can recall.

Could the "B" in B17, B25 etc is the military classification for "Bomber", The "F" in F18, F16 etc for "fighter", "C" for "cargo", "P" for "Propeller Fighter" ..... maybe??? I believe the chief storeman types in the military give them these classifications for inventory purposes.
  • Informative 1

Could the "B" in B17, B25 etc is the military classification for "Bomber", The "F" in F18, F16 etc for "fighter", "C" for "cargo", "P" for "Propeller Fighter" ..... maybe??? I believe the chief storeman types in the military give them these classifications for inventory purposes.

In the old days fighters chased their targets and were designated P for Pursuit, as in the P40, P51, P47, etc.

Later replaced by F for fighter.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

THERE’S the classic 747, the smaller 737 and more recently, the fancy 787 Dreamliner. And don’t forget the 757, 767 and 777.So have you ever wondered just what’s with all the numbers 7s when it comes to Boeing aircraft models? Is there a method to the numbering “madness”?

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-advice/flights/why-do-boeing-planes-start-and-end-with-the-number-7/news-story/6bb5bbb847e1c6021f5de8287ab3a830

I thought that this may have been a Channel 7 news item.

• Haha 1