Google Earth - Shepparton

Robbo

We had a Piper Cherokee fly over our driveway at the time of the Google earth picture, it looked like the aircraft was in my driveway, amazing since that was where I was building a small aircraft.

This plane looks out of place 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

It does, Robbo, but it's not mine, thank goodness!

I've no idea whose it is to be honest, but Wilmot Road is about the furthest east for my downwind on 18 as I like to stay within gliding distance of the runway just in case.

I flew to Bendigo yesterday for a series of work meetings and had to go to Melbourne for another this afternoon. Glad I drove today; the wind was really buffeting me in the car and the turbulence would have been dreadful through the Gap.

Kaz

Being honest, I'd say that aircraft was probably going to join the circuit downwind for 36 and I'd guess it was a fair bit higher than the vehicles on the road. Possibly C172 ITY.

Kaz

We had a Piper Cherokee fly over our driveway at the time of the Google earth picture, it looked like the aircraft was in my driveway, amazing since that was where I was building a small aircraft.

A Cherokee has a 30' span and a rough measure shows this is about 38', presumably due to it being closer to the camera but projected onto ground level.

Google.jpg.0df527ebef061f2fb9b375c0ac97a9c8.jpg

Had this one come down the street on ANZAC Day. Interesting the blue haze under it, there is no water at that location. We are just south of Caboolture and Controlled Airspace is above 3500'

• Like 1

The blue haze was almost certainly not visible. I am pretty sure it is an artefact of stitching two adjacent images together, the ground is fine but because the aircraft moves between shots it doesn't fare as well. If you look at this (https://goo.gl/maps/gWETFPDKmm52) aircraft lifting from Runway 25 at Sydney you will notice a similar haze. If you scroll east the TWY 25 threshold you see a very distorted plane. https://goo.gl/maps/AWhXXzcfVnJ2

I am pretty sure it is an artefact of stitching two adjacent images together, the ground is fine but because the aircraft moves between shots it doesn't fare as well.

Pretty close:

http://www.gearthblog.com/blog/archives/2015/03/planes-flight-rainbow-effect.html

"A common setup is to have a high resolution monochrome camera and then a separate camera that takes photos with various colour filters in quick succession... However, if there is a fast moving object in the scene such as an aircraft, it will have moved between exposures and the ghosting or rainbow effects can be seen...

• Informative 1

And of course the 'fun' is even more interesting if you keep zooming in on things like aircraft etc ... on the 3 most close up zooms the aircraft often disappear ... its differing image times for different layers of zoom.

When NearMap was free, I googled the out-laws address and it had caught us as we were loading a sideboard on the trailer. You could clearly see my bald spot from space!

The good quality aerial photos on Google Earth are usually aerial photos taken from aircraft specially commissioned for the work. The images change as you zoom in from satellite to aircraft pics. At the bottom centre of the page you will see the photo credits change as you zoom in.