First solo!!!!! Woooo hooooo

Hi guys

I DID IT!!! My first solo. It’s been a long while coming, as I only go for lessons once a month.

What a feeling. Here is the link for youtube if anyone is up to critiquing my flight.

My nerves were up once my instructor got out, taxied to the holding point then had to wait for four planes to land, the last plane being a Foxbat , bloody thing took what seemed like an eternity it floats forever , The waiting calmed me down a bit. Then got the takeoff clearance and something like a “ZEN” moment come over me and all was calm and relaxed, I even found myself looking around taking in the view on the downwind leg.

Cheers boys

Rick

• Like 11
  • Winner 9

Guest SrPilot
Hi guys. I DID IT!!! My first solo. It’s been a long while coming, as I only go for lessons once a month. . . . the last plane being a Foxbat , bloody thing took what seemed like an eternity it floats forever, Cheers boys Rick

Congratulations Rick! What a go. 026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif

You're famous. We heard about your solo across the pond on the same day as the solo. It's amazing to sit and watch a solo in AU on the same day it occurred. Technology. Oh, and I flew my A22LS (what you guys call a Foxbat today. I did 60 mph on final until over the fence then slowed to a landing and added power so I could reach the first turn-off of the runway. I hope no one was waiting to solo.

087_sorry.gif.8f9ce404ad3aa941b2729edb25b7c714.gif

The weather looked spot on for your solo. Today in Alabama, middle of our winter, we suffered through a high of only 19C, CAVU, and no wind. But the sun went down in the evening and now it's a calm 13C. Dang, I'll be glad to see Spring. 059_whistling.gif.a3aa33bf4e30705b1ad8038eaab5a8f6.gif

Keep flying, stay current, and take care Rick. Remember the day; you've already seized it!

Congratulations Rick, That' s 6 minutes 45 seconds you'll remember forever.

LOL Oh yeah, I was rocking away in the hammock in the backyard today with the flight still going through my head !!!!!!!!!!!!

Rick, It only gets better, the enjoyment of increasing competence is second to none. Just be a bit guarded against the potential overconfidence that can come with it.

But really just enjoy the learning process it never stops

Phil

• Like 1

Hi guysI DID IT!!! My first solo. It’s been a long while coming, as I only go for lessons once a month.

What a feeling. Here is the link for youtube if anyone is up to critiquing my flight.

Well done Rick - I did my first solo in the week before Xmas with Gostner at Camden - was on a high for a week ! Now on the lookout for syndicates (new or established) - let me know if you hear of any in the area.

• Like 1

Well done Rick - I did my first solo in the week before Xmas with Gostner at Camden - was on a high for a week ! Now on the lookout for syndicates (new or established) - let me know if you hear of any in the area.

Nicely done mate ! did you video it?

Yeah its a great feeling. Only now come down of the high. I've had a few lessons out there because of the whole Jabiru Engine thing. We can't fly our Jab's out of Bankstown.

• Caution 1

No video - I need to invest in one soon. I now have 3 hrs solo and we are on to "advanced manoeuvres" in the training area.

So after first solo, what happens then? Do you then do solo touch and goes?

I just have one of those Chinese copy GoPros I think it cost me $45 from eBay works a treat. Because I only go once a month I video every flight so before each lesson I watch the last video as a recap. So long between flights you forget stuff I find, so the video is great for me. Plus my wife likes to watch them when I come home. See what she is paying for :)

20160309_191452.jpg.0905dbbc07f2cd83ae2f357de59c3db8.jpg

• Like 1

So after first solo, what happens then? Do you then do solo touch and goes?I just have one of those Chinese copy GoPros I think it cost me $45 from eBay works a treat. Because I only go once a month I video every flight so before each lesson I watch the last video as a recap. So long between flights you forget stuff I find, so the video is great for me. Plus my wife likes to watch them when I come home. See what she is paying for :)

[ATTACH=full]41903[/ATTACH]

Looks good - yes, three hours of solo circuits - now onto to those "advanced manoeuvres" - steep turns, advanced stalling, short field t/o and landings, spin recovery etc..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey well done Rick, I went for my first solo last November, so I know how you feel, which is pretty damn good. You have Area Solo and your certificate to look forward to, plus all those goodies like Ozfergie mentioned. Then you can fly where you want 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif... You want some critiquing? It maybe the camera field of view fish eye effect, but you looked a little far from the field on downwind. If the fan stops, being a little closer gives you options, but as I said, that could be an optical effect. Perfect landing though, nice round out and float. I could hardly tell you touched the ground.... smooth!

• Like 1

So after first solo, what happens then? Do you then do solo touch and goes?

If you are going for your RPC, you need at least 20 or 25hrs in your log book with at least 5 hrs being solo. You will be doing solo in the circuits (Touch and Goes), and area solo. You need to have also passed the 5 written exams, Radio, Pre-Solo, Air Legislation, BAK, and Human Factors. Then you need to pass a flight test for your certificate with your schools CFI.

I was fortunate. My instructor is the CFI, so I thought I was going out on yet another lesson, I was a bit miffed that I wasn't doing any solo that day. I was a long lesson, emergency procedures outside the circuit, Wing Drops, going to another airfield(Circuit departures and rejoins). We were in the air for over an hour and a half. There he was filling out the paperwork for the debrief, and he started filling out a page titled "Flight Test for the issue of Recreational Pilot Certificate" I said to him, "Does that mean I'm now a Pilot?" He said, "No".... he finished completing it, signed it, reached over to shake my hand and said, "Congratulations Captain, you are now a pilot" That was February 9 this year.

• Like 1

Hey well done Rick, I went for my first solo last November, so I know how you feel, which is pretty damn good. You have Area Solo and your certificate to look forward to, plus all those goodies like Ozfergie mentioned. Then you can fly where you want 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif... You want some critiquing? It maybe the camera field of view fish eye effect, but you looked a little far from the field on downwind. If the fan stops, being a little closer gives you options, but as I said, that could be an optical effect. Perfect landing though, nice round out and float. I could hardly tell you touched the ground.... smooth!

Yes your are right I did go further out, I was following a foxbat and I found myself catching up to them, so I slowed up and went a little bit more right than normal, I had never come across that situation before, by the I turned onto base there was a good spacing. Hope I did the right thing?

Cheers

Rick

• Like 1

Yes your are right I did go further out, I was following a foxbat and I found myself catching up to them, so I slowed up and went a little bit more right than normal, I had never come across that situation before, by the I turned onto base there was a good spacing. Hope I did the right thing?Cheers

Rick

Hey Rick, that's good airmanship. keep up the good work, that's why your instructor let you go solo. Other options could've been, pulling your power and practicing your slow flight, or if he started turning base, extend your downwind leg, say another 5 to 10 seconds... Tony