Another first time aerobatics victim

So this is a vid of my mates wife I took up on Saturday for her first aerobatic flight in my mates RV-4. She had a ball... right up until I did a spin. That was enough, but like a trooper she wasn't crook, but I did push it little, I don't like doing that as a rule. Keep them keen and coming back for more, but she is actually keen to go again so I will keep at her and get her up again.

Cheers

CB

• Like 11

Wow, a spin on the first aerobatic flight? Dunno that I'd push a pax that far even if they looked like they were having a ball. But....you can only call it as you see it at the time. It's great that she really enjoyed it though!

For my aircraft, flying from the back seat gives me a good idea from their head movement as to how they're really feeling. "Yeah yeah feeling great let's keep going!"........as I see their heading rolling around and spot them fumbling for the sick bag in the pouch on the cockpit sidewall! Time to head back! 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

Personally I think it is very indecent to take your mates wife for a spin! 054_no_no_no.gif.950345b863e0f6a5a1b13784a465a8c4.gif

I caused a massive argument with a friend and her boyfriend, he cracked it because I was going to take her up, hmm wish I could take him and push him out 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

• Haha 1

Wow, a spin on the first aerobatic flight? Dunno that I'd push a pax that far even if they looked like they were having a ball. But....you can only call it as you see it at the time. It's great that she really enjoyed it though!For my aircraft, flying from the back seat gives me a good idea from their head movement as to how they're really feeling. "Yeah yeah feeling great let's keep going!"........as I see their heading rolling around and spot them fumbling for the sick bag in the pouch on the cockpit sidewall! Time to head back! 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

dutchroll,

I used to take people up in the S-2B and the Tigermoth. I know exactly what you mean. Whole lot easier to watch them from behind. In 11 years of taking people up for aerobatic flights I have only ever had two be sick. One was just happy to fly around and enjoy the view, but the other... he warned me at the start he will be sick within a few minutes (just after a steep turn as it turns out) and then he will be good to go after that. He was true to his word and we hooked in for all the usual but progressed to lomcevak's, inverted accelerated spins, cross over spins and even an outside loop!. I was exhausted by the end of it, but he had a ball! and he never split a drop.

Personally I think it is very indecent to take your mates wife for a spin! 054_no_no_no.gif.950345b863e0f6a5a1b13784a465a8c4.gif

Bwahahahahahahahaha

Cheers

CB

• Like 3

An interesting caution in an RV4 "Flight Manual". The underlining is how it was in the manual:

"Vans aircraft does not consider spins to be a recreational aerobatic maneuver and does not

recommend that they be casually undertaken in the aircraft."

• Informative 1

Roundsounds,

That is very interesting. I would not do aerobatics in any aircraft that you could not do spins in. Yep I have messed up some maneuvers on occasions and entered a spin. I certainly want to know I can get out of it!

As for doing them casually, the posters above have pretty much covered off on that!008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif On reading Sport Pilot, Kitplanes, Rivet Bangers and Vans Air Force, the general consensus seems to be, that wording is a butt covering expercise. I have done all bar crossover spins in this particular aircraft and even with a rear CG it comes out very easily. With forward CG recovery is almost instantaneous on application of forward stick after opposite rudder. Normal PARE works. I must try Beggs-Mueller next time.

Cheers

CB

I forgot to add that quite obviously, I love spins. Those and vertical rolls are my favourite maneuvers. Spins, probably because it seems out of control but I know I have 100% control and vertical rolls because it is a great feeling when you get one exactly on axis and the aircraft keeps going straight up.

But I certainly won't treat any spin casually:spot on:. (Not that that was Vans intent with that comment).

Cheers

CB

Lol.....yeah flying my own plane I just can't bare the thought of them being sick and me spending 2 weeks cleaning it, so I'm extra cautious! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Just give em a full face helmet/bucket and they are less likely to spew- and it helps contain the mess.

I know I am evil

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Caution 1

With experimental cat aircraft the owner / builder can do very much what he pleases, but if there are major changes he will have to get an approval from his AP (CASA Authorised person)

The problem is the definition of major changes. No doubt you could bypass your AP and make up a mount, but then CASA could step in and say it was a major change.

Run it past your AP if you can and see what he says, but I think he would be pretty conservative in his assesment.

I don't think there is anything is 43-13-1B on the subject.

• Like 1