What CASA really thinks of the punters

Ok so after watching that video, the last point it makes says, no higher than 400feet in controlled airspace ie around capital cities. It almost implies that outside of controlled airspace/city limits that the height restriction isn't there?!

You are missing the point here, unlicenced drone pilots by rights don't need to know anything about flying rules. Portaying drone pilots as drug f*cked losers with a drinking problem unable to keep their tongue in their mouth and fly a drone at the same time will just turn people of wanting to learn the rules. It almost like they had a brainstroming session at CASA and described everything they hated about civilians and used that as a role model.

I am guessing everyone in CASA working on UAVs can see their chances of landing a cushie job at an airline is disappearing.

• Informative 1
  • Caution 1

Ok so after watching that video, the last point it makes says, no higher than 400feet in controlled airspace ie around capital cities. It almost implies that outside of controlled airspace/city limits that the height restriction isn't there?!

Well yes and not quite. Being pedantic - It's all controlled over 10000 ft.

Well yes and not quite. Being pedantic - It's all controlled over 10000 ft.

You can be pedantic but I would prefer it if you were accurate. There is plenty of class G airspace above 10,000 feet.

Yeah! CASA puts lots of effort into helping aviation. Not like the FAA who puts out a whole heap of junk like this:

(I just grabbed the first thing that caught my eye. It's old, but makes my point)

OME

Portaying drone pilots as drug f*cked losers with a drinking problem unable to keep their tongue in their mouth and fly a drone at the same time will just turn people of wanting to learn the rules. It almost like they had a brainstroming session at CASA and described everything they hated about civilians and used that as a role model.

FT you must be in a very dark place.

I didn't get that the video portrayed drone operators in the bleak way you describe. I think it was targeted at a particular segment of the drone flying community i.e. relatively young people with no experience or understanding of the potential dangers of their hobby. Your description of them says, perhaps sadly, more about you and your mindset than about them add theirs.

Perhaps we should see drone flyers as a potential target audience for our segment of aviation, after all, if they are attracted to flight we might be able to use that to build their interest in real flight.

The only thing that really concerns me is not showing and damage to aircraft.

Bringing down the cartoon airliner or the drone going in an engine causing a fire would be better.

Yet a car sitting in traffic, the windscreen breaks?